Medical Marijuana Bill Filed

By: The News Service of Florida
By: The News Service of Florida

Tallahassee, Florida -- March 10, 2011 --

Use of marijuana for medical purposes would be legalized if approved by voters under a proposed constitutional amendment filed by a Democratic lawmaker on Thursday. “There is no good reason for us to allow people to use synthetic drugs like oxycontin, methodone, Percocet, and Prozac, but ban them from using a natural, safer drug,” said Rep. Jeff Clemens, D-Lake Worth, the author of the bill (HJR 1407). The proposal would, if passed by the Legislature, go to the 2012 ballot for voter approval. The amendment would let patients use cannabis only if prescribed by a doctor and wouldn’t be able to smoke it in public places. The measure would also make clear that insurance companies wouldn’t have to cover it, and employers wouldn’t be required to let workers smoke pot on the job. The measure hasn’t been referred to any committees, and so far doesn’t have a Senate companion.

• by Sandy Location: Florida on Mar 15, 2011 at 02:16 PM
    I couldn't move, needed to do some chores. Thinking and praying, how on earth can I even move. Smoked a half of a joint and cleaned my house better then I had in a year. I don't know why it works but it does. I cannot smoke all the time because I have to take a drug test so I can get pain pills that are far more dangerous. Pills kill people, smoking pot, not so much. It offers hope to many other people with other medical issues. I see both sides of the matter but if you have chronic pain, you can't live life, you just want to die. I believe pot is more natural then anything a Doctor has offered me. Their are other ways to use it then smoke it. A oil can be made that is massaged into the skin and brings relief. It's time to sign this bill into place and give some people a chance at living more of a pain free life. It keeps kids from going to coke dealers to get pot. This is why it's a gateway drug, because you have to see the low life's to get it. It's time Florida!
  • by Anonymous on Mar 12, 2011 at 01:04 PM
    I have learned you could give everyone a million dollars and somebody would complain about it.
  • by Anonymous on Mar 12, 2011 at 09:49 AM
    The AMA opposed criminalization of marijuana in 1936. The LaGuardia Commission report in 1944 by the New York Academy of Medicine found that "Under the influence of marihuana the basic personality structure of the individual does not change but some of the more superficial aspects of his behavior show alteration." The National Commission on Marihuana and Drug Abuse,in their report,debunked every negative claim that politicos and Law Enforcement use to justify criminalization. That was in 1972 and the report was issued to Congress and the President. What is 'Moral' about arresting 850,000 citizens for wanting to feel a little better in a safer manner than alcohol. Your 'stoner' stereotype is same argument used for denying civil rights to black human beings back in the day, and starting to be used against Muslims. Jesus is watching.....
  • by Becca on Mar 12, 2011 at 05:33 AM
    Make it legal? Hopefully, not in this lifetime. Laziness, stupidity, and carelessness. Not wanted. Booze is legal and that's definitely bad enough.
  • by Erica on Mar 12, 2011 at 05:29 AM
    I agree Kevin. And for those posting saying they've never seen a pothead weaving across the road...get real. You have no idea whether the person is boozed up or stoned out. This is simply another strike at morality.
  • by catlover on Mar 11, 2011 at 06:30 PM
    This is truly a sane, very logical, and long over due proposal which I hope like heck passes by a landslide! The hypocrisy of the massive selling and vast advertisements of many of the 'legal' but much more dangerous man-made drugs is glaring. If this bill passes it would benefit so many in FL, and be a huge boom to the economy in too many ways to mention here. This bill simply must pass, Now.
  • by Lip Cheese on Mar 11, 2011 at 06:09 PM
    This is the first story where all the posters agree and do not call each other hateful names. In that case, legalize due to peace and agreement!!
  • by Jan Location: Tallahassee on Mar 11, 2011 at 05:42 PM
    I've never, ever seen a pothead drive, weaving all over the road... can't say the same for the boozehounds.
  • by i'm voting for it! Location: tally on Mar 11, 2011 at 03:05 PM
    Kevin, you are an idiot. Liquor is much, much more dangerous than a little ganja. I'd rather someone hit a bong than drink a bunch of drinks at happy hour and kill me on the way home from work. Our Marijuana policy in this country is ridiculous. I will happily support this measure.
  • by smoker4life Location: tallahassee on Mar 11, 2011 at 02:12 PM
    Heck Ya!!!!!!!! Best news yet. You got my vote. Thanks for the info izitjustme?...putting the joint down now.lol
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 117797793 - wctv.tv/a?a=117797793