[UPDATE] Ms. Linda Stringer: Leaving WCTV After 22 Years

By: Lee Gordon Email
By: Lee Gordon Email

UPDATE: by Candace Riley

After 22 years at WCTV, Linda Stringer is saying her final goodbyes.

Co-workers from past and present, who consider her family, gather to say thank you for the love and support she gave throughout her many years at WCTV.

A video displayed her generosity and mothering personality brought friends to tears.

Ms. Linda's sister, brother-in-law, grandchildren and great-grandson all came out to share in the celebration ...
Her 7-year old granddaughter has already started planning her free time.

Olivia says, "I can see her as soon as she doesn't walk out the door and maybe sometimes she might pick me up from school and I know she's going on a field trip with me cause she told me she was."

Ms. Linda's official last day is March 18th and we're sure it will be an even more emotional day for all of us here at WCTV.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Every night, you allow us to come into your homes. You've had a chance to know us both on television and off of it. But that's not the case of everyone here at WCTV.

There are a lot of people that make things happen behind the scenes. But there aren't many people like Linda Stringer. She's been a mainstay here for two decades and on Friday, she's calling it a career, but not before touching the lives of everyone of us who have walked through these doors.

Most of our WCTV viewers have never heard of Linda Stringer, but if you've called the station before, most likely, you've talked to the sweet woman who takes your calls, good or bad. For the past 22 years, Linda has been an integral part of our news team. Working with management, working the phones, and touching the lives of everyone who has walked through these doors over the past two decades.

"It's been a real good time. I've met people from Governor Bush down to people who have walked in off the street here who were homeless and then all of our co-workers here, it's been such a fun place to work," said Stringer.

"Ms. Linda is a once in a lifetime kind of person. I was fortunate enough to work with her for almost two decades and that was an honor and a privilege," said former WCTV News Director Mike Smith.

Linda spent years working with former news director Mike Smith, making sure every I was dotted and T was crossed. But she also spent a lot of time as a life coach, psychologist, and friend to many of us who needed a shoulder to lean on. And Miss Linda always knew the right thing to say.

"Ms. Linda was--Ms. Linda kept all of us on the straight and narrow. It's very difficult, but she really did. She was like our mom away from home," said former anchor Carmen Cummings, "Even though you think you are out and about, and you can do your own thing, Ms. Linda had a way of gently nudging you. She was like your conscious. You know."

Linda Stringer walks away into the sunset, a woman who leaves on her own to spend more time with her kids and grand kids. She has plans for what she wants to do in retirement, but it sounds like her days are already planned for her.

"My grand children are going to occupy a lot of my time. My youngest granddaughter has me lined up to volunteer at school. So I don't think I'll have a life of my own. Sounds like everyone has it planned for me."

• by Chris Mossman Location: NC on Mar 18, 2011 at 11:28 AM
    Congratulations Miss Linda. I hope you have a happy and healthy retirement. Best of luck with everything that's ahead of you.
  • by Lenny Horton on Mar 17, 2011 at 08:23 PM
    Linda, I'm sorry I missed the retirement party. I wish you many blessings in the future.
  • by Olivia Location: Dothan on Mar 17, 2011 at 01:52 PM
    Linda, I had the great pleasure of meeting you and experiencing your sweet and caring spirit in person. Since then I have heard so many good things about you and how you are the mother to all who work at your location. Thank you for raising Mr. Smith(LOL)and taking good care of him for so many years. You did a good job! We are all very happy and THANK YOU VERY MUCH. Enjoy your retirement and please think about visiting us someday.
  • by Tenecia Location: Orlando on Mar 17, 2011 at 01:05 PM
    I was fortunate to work with Ms. Linda in 1999. I only worked there for a year, but when I decided to leave Ms. Linda baked me a cake as a send off. I'm sure she did that for lots of people, but that gesture made me feel even more special than she already made me feel everyday. I've thought of her often over the years and always fondly. She is a great lady. Truly one of a kind! Enjoy your retirement!
  • by Burt Fletcher Location: Valdosta, GA on Mar 17, 2011 at 09:49 AM
    I have had the great pleasure of knowing Ms Linda for a number of years. I also knew and loved her late husband Mr. Fred which I still miss deeply.
  • by Mary Norris and Family Location: Jacksonville Florida on Mar 17, 2011 at 09:13 AM
    Congrats to Miss Linda, I hope that all goes well for you and your family. I worked with you years ago at the station and you were a joy to work with then. We miss you and I know the people at the station will miss you too. Good luck with your retirement.
  • by Carl Location: Tallahassee on Mar 17, 2011 at 07:00 AM
    I had the honor and priviledge of working with Linda Stringer at WCTV for 10 years and you will be hard-pressed to find a more gracious, kind and charming lady than her. I wish her all the best in her retirement. God bless you, Ms. Linda!
  • by Doc Location: Cairo on Mar 17, 2011 at 06:26 AM
    Hope you enjoy your retirement! Your grands will enjoy you and much as you will enjoy them. Have fun and Congratulations!
  • by Ilyssa Trussel Location: Jacksonville Beach on Mar 17, 2011 at 04:23 AM
    Linda- You were always so helpful and welcoming to me when I worked at WCTV. Your warm smile always brightened my day. Congratulations on your retirement. You deserve it!!!
  • by Gordon Location: Cairo,Ga on Mar 16, 2011 at 09:47 PM
    I have the privilege of knowing Miss Linda. She is a fine lady who is the same way in her church and community as she is described as being at WCTV. I feel blessed to count her among my friends.
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 118133854 - wctv.tv/a?a=118133854