NAACP Announces Support of Same-Sex Marriages

By: Associate Press Email
By: Associate Press Email

The NAACP's national board voted to support marriage equality over the weekend. The organization is calling their position consistent with the equal protection provision of the U.S. Constitution.

Board Chairwoman Roslyn Brock said in a statement that "The mission of the NAACP has always been to ensure political, social, and economic equality of all people."

President Obama recently publicly supported gay marriage while also saying "my feelings about this are constantly evolving, I struggle with this."

In the wake of the president's endorsement of gay marriage, backlash has been felt around the country, with many black religious leaders opposing it.

"I do understand the president's position, although personally I don't support that position, same sex marriage, but I understand it," said Dr. Joseph Wright.

Dr. Wright is also the Southern Christian Leadership Conference president and a local pastor. He says that in the case of the NAACP and the president, the endorsments are political, not biblical.

"We're trying to elect a president, not a pastor...you must adhere to the constitution and any policies or laws that protects all races, creeds, and colors."
______________________________

MIAMI (AP) -- May 20. 2012

The NAACP has passed a resolution endorsing same-sex marriage as a civil right and opposing any efforts "to codify discrimination or hatred into the law."

The Baltimore-based National Association for the Advancement of Colored People announced Saturday that its board voted at a leadership retreat in Miami to back a resolution supporting marriage equality. It said the position is consistent with the equal protection provision of the U.S. Constitution.

Same-sex marriage is legal in six states and the District of Columbia, but 31 states have passed amendments to ban it.

NAACP President Benjamin Todd Jealous, a strong backer of gay rights, says "civil marriage is a civil right and a matter of civil law."

Gay marriage has divided the black community, with many religious leaders opposing it.

• by straight white female republican atheist on May 23, 2012 at 09:57 AM
    The NAACP is backing this for one reason and one reason only, and we know what that is, damage control. With that being said, who cares? If 2 people want to be married it's no-one elses business but theirs. For those of you who say marriage should be between a man and a woman and use excuses like procreating then here's what I expect you have done your entire life and will continue to do: have sex only to produce a child. This means if you have 2 children, you have only had sex twice. (assuming it worked both times). Now that you're done producing your children, no more sex for you. And are you reading all the bible verses that are being thrown up (oops, I meant thrown out) below? Execute a bride that's not a virgin, stone to death adulturers, incest? Cancer on society? Geeze, you bible thumpers are some pretty vicious people to be claiming moral superiority all the time aren't you? Gay people are just that- people. Just like you and me. Who's to say that the 10 year heterosexual marriage NOMNOM is in has any more love in it or will last any longer than a marriage between two men or two women? Who are we to judge that? Divorce is rampant so we can't really claim to have some great insight on how to make it perfect can we? I've been married 29 years, but I don't claim my realtionship to be any more "real" or "valuable" because it's a heterosexual relationship. It's simply love. That's what it's about. It also has nothing to do with "having to pay for your boyfriends health insurance" as the brave anonymous below so stated. That's just ignorance talking. This world would be a whole lot better place if everyone would quit judging everyone else based on their own beliefs and just minded their own business.
      by Justin on May 23, 2012 at 01:23 PM in reply to straight white female republican atheist
      Im gay and I totally agree with you on everything you said. I fully belive that the NAACP is out right using a cause to gain followers. Most of all thank you!
  • by Justin on May 22, 2012 at 09:59 AM
    My question is if your not gay why do you care we are not some kind of gang that wants to kill everyone on earth just people that want to live happy lifes and thanks to closeminded bible beaters for making it hard but you know i will be happy no matter if you think its wrong. I dont judge you for going to church and beliving what you belive please dont judge me for MY life style.
      by NOMNOM on May 22, 2012 at 11:30 AM in reply to Justin
      To answer your question...I could care less on how you choose to live. Just don't put it in my face. Keep it like it was 20 years ago before being gay was hipster.
        by Anonymous on May 22, 2012 at 12:47 PM in reply to NOMNOM
        Sorry, but we can't control the news or what you choose to read or watch on TV. Life changes.
        by justin on May 22, 2012 at 01:52 PM in reply to NOMNOM
        well I could ask the same of you dont put you belifes in my face.
      by Anon on May 22, 2012 at 03:16 PM in reply to Justin
      ...and we shouldn't have to pay for your boyfriend's health insurance either.
        by Justin on May 23, 2012 at 01:18 PM in reply to Anon
        where that comment come from? like you even know what either one of us do for a living and for your info you will pay his insurance (in a way) you want to know why. At this moment he is putting his life on the line for you, so you can sit in your chair and run you fingers on that key board all day to voice your opinion on how someone shouldnt be happy and live how they would like and that someone fights for your freedom so you can live your life like you would like. how nice of you as a person so before you make some stupid comment to someone make sure you know what you are talking about.
  • by Jane on May 22, 2012 at 05:18 AM
    @truth on May 21, 2012 at 07:40 PM in reply to Pen "explain how two women can produce a child? or two Men? last I checked it took an egg from a female, and sperm from a male!! that tells you right there same sex is against nature!!!" The Bible everyone quotes tells you a woman can have a baby without a man. If you choose to believe that it happened once in history, then you're saying it can happen again. Just thought I'd point that out.
      by Pen on May 22, 2012 at 03:23 PM in reply to Jane
      Ha, good point.
  • by S is for Socialist Location: tally on May 22, 2012 at 04:20 AM
    Man ol man...some of yall would be in a world of hurt if you didn't have the "NAACSP" telling you how to think.
  • by james Location: tally on May 21, 2012 at 10:26 PM
    GOD Loves everyone but hates the wrong they do and this IS wronggggggggg. GOD made Adam @Eve not Adam @ Steve or Eve @ and Eva. Here is one The NAACP is backing Obama for another term. Im no racist But Im a Christian @ GOD says It wrong.So its a no brainer I back God on this perversion.The NCAACP is tring to keep Obama in ,in hopes he will cave in.If he does he will answer for this abomination.GOD will judge Obama @ he might not like the outcome.Come on Obama dont be a sell out just for votes.How would you like to lose your wife to another woman.Thank long on it Veryyyyyyyyyyyyy long.
      by Karen on May 22, 2012 at 08:04 AM in reply to james
      I have read your post no less than 5 times and I still have no idea what you said.
      by Anonymous on May 22, 2012 at 08:39 AM in reply to james
      What did GOD say? You don't even know as you just spout out what you have been told like the majority of others. Go study and learn that other views and critically think. Much of the original meanings of the bible don't make sense unless you know the culture that they were written in.
  • by Anonymous on May 21, 2012 at 08:46 PM
    The bible says a lot of stupid and silly things people should obey but of course if you are homophobic only the parts that agree with a bigot the bigot would use. Examples ”real” christains should follow if they truly believe the bible is the word of god and shouldn't be cherry picked: DEUTERONOMY 22:13-21 If it is discovered that a bride is not a virgin, the Bible demands that she be executed by stoning immediately. DEUTERONOMY 22:22 If a married person has sex with someone else’s husband or wife, the Bible commands that both adulterers be stoned to death. MARK 10:1-12 Divorce is strictly forbidden in both Testaments, as is remarriage of anyone who has been divorced. LEVITICUS 18:19 The Bible forbids a married couple from having sexual intercourse during a woman’s period. If they disobey, both shall be executed. MARK 12:18-27 If a man dies childless, his widow is ordered by biblical law to have intercourse with each of his brothers in turn until she bears her deceased husband a male heir.
      by james on May 21, 2012 at 10:05 PM in reply to
      Anon, maybe you have failed to realize that God destroyed sodom and gomarroh for sexual immorality.God does not change HE hated it then HE hates it now.So as a christian I back up and hate what HE hates.Jesus said..I did not come to do away with the law but to fulfill it.So that being the case,and God is the same testerday todayand for ever seems clear HE HAS NOT CHANGED his mind on it.Besides those laws against still stand.Dont be mad at me folks Im just stating the facts.I do my best to love the sinner(for ALL have sinned and fallen short of GODS glory)That is I Love people but hate sin (even my own)cause I know Im not perfect.Anyway It would benefit the children as well as adults to quit cramming this junk down our throates.If people dont like the laws of straight marriage,then buy a country where everyone can live fairely ever after,and quit trying to pervert the santity of marriage.Better yet read the whole WORD of GOD not the trying to justify a perverted life style.They should have cleaned out the closet insted of coming out of it.
        by gaboy on May 22, 2012 at 07:09 AM in reply to james
        sounds like you want to have sex with your brothers wife........!
        by Anonymous on May 22, 2012 at 08:29 AM in reply to james
        Actually a lot of religious scholars point to rape, murder, and not taking care of the poor as the main reason sodom and gomarroh were destroyed.
      by Anonymous on May 22, 2012 at 03:15 AM in reply to
      Thanks for proving the hypocrisy of religion.
      by 62nitro on May 22, 2012 at 04:32 AM in reply to
      And thats the way it was, thousands of years ago. Get over it. We now have lawyers that tell us it's ok to have sex out of wedlock, it's ok to be an adulterer, it's ok to prey on young girls that look up to you, just because you hold a high office,it's ok to post videos of yourself having sex and it might even make you a star in some poor souls mind, it's ok to lay with another man, or 2, or 3, it's only sex, right? God help us, please.
        by Anonymous on May 22, 2012 at 08:27 AM in reply to 62nitro
        Can't have it both ways. Saying that the whole book is the word of god then going and saying this passage means more than the other just doesn't cut it. I am not the one that is hung up on the bible just like poking at those that claim the bible should be applied today.
      by NOMNOM on May 22, 2012 at 05:27 AM in reply to
      Didn't you just "cherry pick" to prove your point? What makes what you just did any different than what you're ranting about?
        by Anonymous on May 22, 2012 at 08:17 AM in reply to NOMNOM
        @NOMNOM. Simple I don't claim the whole bible as the work of a god that I pretend I have to obey. I don't follow any of it. Saying on one hand that all the bible is the word of god then cherry picking some to ignore is saying you know the mind of a god and his true intent which is just plain hubris.
  • by TBD on May 21, 2012 at 06:50 PM
    It’s appalling to see people who have fought and continue to fight against discrimination, side with those who have imposed such uncivilized sanctions on people who are different.  Rather it’s skin color, sexual preference, or gender… discrimination is unjust.  Although I don’t agree with homosexuality, I refuse to stand against their rights as a citizen. Furthermore, I didn’t create them and I don’t have a heaven or hell to place them. They are tax payers just as I am.  America needs to learn from its past transgressions and move on to be the country of promise to all people.
      by Jane on May 22, 2012 at 05:12 AM in reply to TBD
      Thank you for recognizing that equal rights for everyone doesn't mean you have to agree with everyone.
  • by Taylor L. on May 21, 2012 at 06:44 PM
    I think it is time for all sincere Black Christians to make up their mind on whether they are going to stand up for Christ or keep being silent about your Christianity and defend Obama and your black organizations that have shown their true self and are anti-Christian.
  • by Good News is... on May 21, 2012 at 05:48 PM
    Birth control at it's finest. No more crack babies.
  • by 62nitro Location: Tallahassee on May 21, 2012 at 05:05 PM
    Obama say's "Frog" and these folks jump and don't even ask "How high?" It's so sad to see these so-called leaders selling out their own people to appease the first "Black" president, who happens to be as much white as he is black and he is playing these people for fools. So sad.
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 152205185 - wctv.tv/a?a=152205185