New Laws of Interest to Divorced People

By: The News Service of Florida
By: The News Service of Florida
New Florida laws expanding protection for children at risk of being abducted by a parent and recalculating how alimony is paid go into effect Jan. 1.

Divorce in dictionary

New laws expanding protection for children at risk of being abducted by a parent and recalculating how alimony is paid go into effect Jan. 1.

The first bill (HB 787), sponsored by Rep. Daryl Rouson, D-St. Petersburg, adds new protective measures to those a judge can use to prevent feuding parents from taking children out of state or out of the country if there is reason to believe they won’t bring them back. Included in the new tools would be the ability to pull a child’s passport, require a bond when traveling, or prevent the parent from taking the child to countries where extradition would be difficult or impossible. The other measure (HB 907) that goes into effect Saturday recalculates how alimony and support payments are made by changing the formulas used to determine custody, percentage of care and other factors that make up the amount owed by a non-custodial parent. The law, sponsored by Rep. Anitere Flores, R-Miami, also bolsters penalties for non-custodial parents who don’t cooperate. Among enhanced sanctions, the law raises the minimum amount owed if the parent is non-responsive. The bill specifically defines different types of support payments and when they should be applied. The law also adds statutory definitions dealing with the duration of a marriage, with certain types of alimony available only to ex-spouses of long-term relationships. Under the new law, which affects cases pending after July 1, 2010, the judge’s first decision is whether one party actually needs alimony and if the other party has ability to pay. Once that’s settled, the judge then determines how long the marriage lasted and what type of alimony is appropriate.

You must be logged in to post comments.

Password (case sensitive):
Remember Me:

Read Comments

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
  • by Anonymous on Jan 4, 2011 at 04:22 PM
    I think a custodial parent shouldn't be able to move a minor out of the state. If a parent is paying child support they should have every reasonable right to visitation, there are alot of non-custodial parents that don't get to see their kids due to the custodial parent moving them out of state. Even a couple that is seperated should not be able to move a minor out of state, yeah there is alot of parents that don't need visitation rights but what about the ones that do deserve visitation rights? My boyfriend hasn't seen his daughter in a yr & a half due to her mother moving out of state and they are just seperated.
  • by Rick Location: Florida on Jan 4, 2011 at 03:54 PM
    If you want to see some bad laws go to Michigan then you will find bad ones, I was sending my CSP on time and in full and then I was injured at work, my support payments were to be 38% of my gross income plus all medical and any special needs, which I was making until injury. by the way there was nothing wrong with my son but she went and had him fitted with leg braces and crap like that OH YA but then entered him in football, soccer, basketball, hockey and any other activities allowed just to make me pay for them which I did as well as all kinds of special schooling that she could put him into "just to make me pay for leaving her" her words and there was nothing wrong with him. I reported this to the judge and they said if that is what she wants to do. anyway I was unable to make my payments because you only get a small percent when on workers comp and i could not live on the streets unable to walk or work for 4 months and was put in jail for none support and she didn't even have him.
  • by RIck Location: Florida on Jan 4, 2011 at 03:30 PM
    I believe that which ever spouse committed the cause for divorce, they should get nothing for child support as well as the lost of their full control over the child, because they show that they are unable to commit to such things like family the child and/or the child's welfare. People like my ex wife she sent my son to live with her parent's and seen my son maybe twice a year and I had to support her booze and drug addiction for 20 years and she is the one that was caught sleeping around but because the Judge said she is the woman she get the custody.... that is very wrong I believe that before the child goes to either parent there should be some type of investigation into who gets the child. Plus the Judges should be equally just to both parents . just because there is a divorce doesn't mean that the non-custodial parent is a piece of crap
  • by Anonymous on Jan 4, 2011 at 02:10 AM
    I honestly feel we need cooperation from ANY and ALL countries in which we provide any financial or military support to them. My ex skipped country and I feared him kidnapping our kids one day...He owes over $35k in child support and has "Shared Parental Custody" according to the state of Florida. There is no way to SERVE papers to someone and modify arrangements when you don't have an address and they are not in a country in which the US has a Child Support agreement. There are bad fathers and mothers out there and hopefully the DEADBEATS get the Karma coming to them...
  • by a female on Jan 3, 2011 at 03:59 PM
    It should be counted as income. If she would work it would be taxed. The system is very flawed toward the female and I have seen cases where the female should never have the kids
  • by Anonymous on Jan 3, 2011 at 12:59 PM
    She got the gold mine, Why would your ex claim child support as income, It is for the support of your children, not to add to her income.
  • by She got the gold mine Location: I got the shaft on Jan 3, 2011 at 10:44 AM
    I pay child support every month and in doing so taxes are taken out of my check just like everyone else. What gets me is the fact that come tax time it's like i pocketed all of that money,pay taxes all over again and my ex doesn't have to claim child support as income.
  • by justmytwocents on Jan 3, 2011 at 09:54 AM
    all i know is the system regarding child support has never helped me. my ex only has to pay $125 a month and he has never paid it. I did get regular paymemts while he was collecting unemployment but for the life of me i dont know how they werent able to collect while he was employed. I know there are men that get duked in the system but its because you got so many that won't do. my suggestion men is talk to each other about being responsible parents. make that cool instead of making being a "playa" cool.
  • by MJM Location: Tallahassee on Jan 3, 2011 at 09:08 AM
    Below Jane wrote "Divorce should be outlawed, and marriage made mandatory for everyone over the age of 21". My question is, why should we punish the general population like this?
  • by Angel on Jan 3, 2011 at 08:47 AM
    It all depends on which county your in and if you have a good lawyer or not as to who the law favors.
  • Page:
WCTV 1801 Halstead Blvd. Tallahassee, FL 32309
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 112799104 -
Gray Television, Inc.