New Leon County Gun Laws

By: Ashley Mitchem Email
By: Ashley Mitchem Email

Today commissioners say they aren't going to put up with pressure from the state any longer. They are going to take action against the laws they voted for because they don't agree with them.

People are now allowed to carry weapons into Leon County parks.
They are also allowed to shoot them, whether it's for hunting or self-defense.

Some people don't see the big deal and think it won't make the crime rate go up. They say the "bad guys" are already bringing weapons into parks.

There are a handful of new laws that were passed Tuesday night.
Those laws involve a more lax use of weapons and a lifted ban on a noise ordinance.

Commissioners plan to fight those as well.
As for now, commissioners ask that the public be aware of these new laws for their own safety.

The commissioners voted to repeal three laws Tuesday:

Section 13-56: "The discharging within any park of a firearm, air rifle, air gun, slingshot, bow and arrow, spear gun, or any other instrument that discharges projectiles is prohibited. Hunting, trapping or the pursuit of wildlife is prohibited on all park property. Shooting into park areas from beyond park boundaries is prohibited."

Section 12-1: "No person shall hunt or shoot any wildlife upon or over the right-of-way of any county road or any county maintained road; provided, however, that the provisions of this section shall not apply to any person lawfully defending life or property or performing official duties requiring the discharge of weapons."

Section 12-2: "No person shall discharge any weapon on, across or over the right-of-way of any county road or any county maintained road; provided, however, that the provisions of this section shall not apply to any person lawfully defending life or property or performing official duties requiring the discharge of weapons."

The county also amended two laws. One removes language in the noise ordinance that the discharge of firearms during legal hunting is exempt only in rural areas. The other removes language that firearm sales can be suspended or limited during the activation of disaster emergency activities.

• by wdyoung on Jun 16, 2011 at 06:46 PM
    State law prevails, no?
  • by Unconstitutional Gun Control on Jun 16, 2011 at 02:54 PM
    Are the Commissioners using taxpayer funds to bring this ridiculous lawsuit? If so, where do I sign the recall petition?
  • by Sonny Location: Tallahassee on Jun 16, 2011 at 01:05 PM
    So I can't protect myself in a County park but I can in a Federal park? Well, that makes sense.
      by Anonymous on Jun 16, 2011 at 02:01 PM in reply to Sonny
      You can protect yourself. Even with a gun in the park. Just as long as you are not protecting yourself from a duck that happens to fly by.
        by Sonny on Jun 17, 2011 at 08:24 AM in reply to
        Seriously? Seriously? That's your reply? Because you know, no one is EVER assaulted, raped, murdered or kidnapped from a park..
  • by Anonymous on Jun 16, 2011 at 12:04 PM
    hasnt it always been illegal to discharge a weapon on or over a right of way.
  • by Anonymous on Jun 16, 2011 at 11:25 AM
    "Hunting, trapping or the pursuit of wildlife is prohibited on all park property". Was this allowed before?
  • by Country Location: boondocks on Jun 16, 2011 at 10:06 AM
    @flipflop, who asks -- "...but really do we need them in the parks?" Probably not, but I absolutely do need a gun in my car EVERYTIME I drive up to my dark and lonely rural home, even after a nice day at the park. Hopefully you all can understand that if it is not in my car at the park, it won't be there when I get back home? Why is it everything that "progressives" advocate increases the risk that I will be killed or bankrupted? And then they claim that "rednecks are dangerous and ignorant." Yeah, right!
  • by Surly Location: Grrr on Jun 16, 2011 at 09:48 AM
    Generally, I would commenting on this, as people insisting that I must give up my rights because drugs are addictive and guns are dangerous REALLY irritate the heck outta me. Reading the article has not allowed me to understand exactly what happened, though. Did our local leaders bravely stand up to those horrible pro-gun tyrants at the state level, which hopefully will eventually result in their incarceration, or did I get some rights back, in which case I hope they get re-elected? Don't know, so I will assume it is Rick Scott's fault, whatever it is, and move on...
  • by Anonymous on Jun 16, 2011 at 08:22 AM
    I wonder if the Madison County officials will continue to require merchants to write you driver's license information when you buy .22 shells. Yeah, that's right...Madison County can't ignore the rest of the state or the federal government. Just because Madison Co. citizens don't get out much doesn't mean others do not know what's going on in the county.
      by Dave on Jun 16, 2011 at 10:46 AM in reply to
      The reduction in firearms paper work act requiring a person to provide their DL # or SS# was eliminated in the 80's under Reagan. If your merchants are being required to record your ID #s they are in violation of federal law. Contact your county attorney asap to correct this. The merchants will be sued if they continue to make records of ammo purchases as this is de facto gun registration. Go buy some ammo and refuse to give your ID#s and tell them just what I said. I am not an attorney, just up on the laws.
      by Dave on Jun 16, 2011 at 11:40 AM in reply to
      I looked up the federal reg on no recording of ammo purchases. BATF 27CFR 478.97. Vendor may only LOOK at ID to verify age. 18 for long gun ammo. 21 for pistol ammo. Period.Period.Period. Take a copy of the above reg and go buy some ammo. If they say local law enforcement requires it, then law enforcement is in violation of federal law. If this doesn't stop all the harassment call the NRA-ILA. One call from them will stop all this mess. Pronto.
  • by peanut on Jun 16, 2011 at 07:56 AM
    commissioners, if you want a change in gun related crime, try some new tactics. obviously, people that carry guns and shoot people need a little more than some measly law telling them they shouldn't carry a gun.
      by Steve Marietta, Georgia on Jun 16, 2011 at 09:45 AM in reply to peanut
      [Florida native, resident, statewide firearm permit] Exactly what is your position 'nut? Are you suggesting perhaps a citizen should let something happen to them, without putting several holes in that perp? Or maybe perhaps I am reading your blog wrong, and you don't think ANYONE should carry a firearm? Be specific! I will wait, but not forever!
  • by Anonymous on Jun 16, 2011 at 07:18 AM
    "there" as in over there. Their and in their guns. Geeze!~
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 123970319 - wctv.tv/a?a=123970319