[UPDATE] North Fla. Man Shot, Killed by 2 Deputies

By: ACSO; AP
By: ACSO; AP

[UPDATE] 6-24 10:30am -

Alachua County Sheriff’s deputies responded to a call of a suspicious person at 17829 N. CR225. After arriving on scene, deputies made contact with a suspect identified as Robert Scott McBride (DOB 09/11/67) of Keystone Heights. Deputies confronted McBride and shortly thereafter shots were fired by deputies. McBride immediately received first aid by deputies on scene but succumbed to his injuries. Detectives are currently investigating the details that led to the shooting. A parallel internal investigation is also underway as a matter of policy. Both involved deputies have been placed on administrative leave pending the outcome of the investigations.

______________________________

Full press release is attached above in PDF format

KEYSTONE HEIGHTS, Fla. (AP) --

A north Florida man was shot and killed by deputies responding to a call about a suspicious person.

Alachua County Sheriff's Sgt. Todd Kelly tells The Gainesville
Sun that 43-year-old Robert Scott McBride received first aid from
deputies but died at the scene in Keystone Heights on Thursday
afternoon.

Kelly says passers-by called 911 to report that "something
wasn't right" about McBride's behavior. Detectives have yet to
determine whether McBride was armed and why deputies opened fire.

Two deputies involved in the shooting have been placed on
administrative leave.

• by witness Location: Gainesville, FL on Oct 27, 2011 at 05:52 PM
    Scott was NOT armed. For some reason he just wasnt acting like himself. I worked with Scott and this happened while he was on his way to a service call. A witness from the scene was on the phone with us and he said Scott wasnt armed and that he had a blanket wrapped around him and when the cops showed up we were still on the phone and the guy was screaming at the cops " he's unarmed, he's unarmed" and then he says to us that the cop is WALKING to the trunk and getting out a rifle, (ONE IS THIS WAS A LIFE THREATING SITUATION WHY IN THE HELL WOULD THE OFFICER HAVE WALKED TO THE TRUNK TO GET HIS RIFLE INSTEAD OF JUST FIRING HIS SIDE ARM???)then he says OMG OMG they just shot your boy OMG and this guy is screaming at the police why did you shoot him he is unarmed..... FOR ANY OF YOU OUT THERE, KNOW THIS,COPS ARE THERE TO PROTECT US, BUT NOT ALL OF THEM KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING. I HAVE THE UPMOST RESPECT AND APPRECIATION FOR LAW ENFORCEMENT BUT I KNOW FOR A FACT THAT THE 2 OFFICERS INVOLVED IN THIS WERE WRONG AND WHETHER IF THEY MISJUDGED THE SITUATION, OR GOT SCARED OR JUST MADE A MISTAKE LET IT BE KNOWN THAT ROBERT SCOTT MCBRIDE DID NOTHING WRONG AND DID NOT DESERVE TO DIE AT 43 YEARS OLD. HIS 12 YEAR OLD SON DID NOT DESERVE TO HAVE HIS DADDY MURDERED. SCOTT NEEDED AN AMBULANCE, NOT A BULLET. He was a sweet and caring man. I heard everything going on. The officers were told multiple times that Scott did not have a weapon. They could have used a taser, not deadly force. I just ask that people refrain from posting mean or hurtful things about this because his son will read the posts and he has been through enough, especially coming from people who werent there and dont know what they are talking about. God bless the family and God rest Scott's soul.
  • by shawn Location: high springs fl on Jun 27, 2011 at 07:00 PM
    the media our local newspaper gainesville sun should do there job unbias investigation let the public know that a apparently mentaly ill unarmed father has been murdered just a simple father not amember of the police dept or firedept
  • by Corey Location: Florida on Jun 26, 2011 at 02:00 PM
    My boyfriend went to AC school with Scott and he worked with him as well. I had the pleasure of getting to meet him and his son a few times and he was an all around great guy, his son a complete sweetheart. He of course had his issues just like every human. Candace my prayers are with your family, thank you for the update. I was trying to call different companies this morning we thought he may have been working for. My boyfriend hadn't spoke with Scott in a year as we moved. We wanted to make sure his son was ok, we know his moms not in the picture. My boyfriend also went to highschool with one of the officers who shot Scott. He apparently did not have a reputation for being a kind person. It's disgusting...Scott is in a better place, my prayers are with the little boy who lost his father today for no reason...My dad and countlesss others walk away from the responsibilities of their children, and he didn't. I think that says a lot about the person Scott was. My boyfriend lost a great friend today. I hope these officers get what they deserve and justice is served for Scott and his little boy D and his family. Forgive them Father they know not what they do. Please update when the memorial service will be my boyfriend would love to be there.
  • by Candace Location: Baltimore, MD on Jun 26, 2011 at 10:48 AM
    This is my family, the ones with ignorant comments just know that GOD has a place for you and it isnt with him. To often this world is judged by nothing but the ignorant self-absorbed people in it. He was NOT armed which is why there are not 1 but 2 investigations going on. He left behind a little boy, and a mother, grandfather and cousins etc that are greiving and dont need to read your ignorant post. Didnt your parents raise you better that if you dont have anything nice to say then dont say it, guess not and shame on you and them. For those of you that have placed appropriate post, please know that my family appreciates your KIND words during this god awful difficult time. May justice be found on these trigger happy young police officers, may you never sleep at night because you have nightmares about the father and son you ripped away from his son and mother. Also #1 rule to being a police officer you dont shoot to kill you go for a leg or arm to disable them not kill them unless they are threatening your very own life. Thats why you are highly trained to shoot or at least so we thought. God Bless my family during this awfully sad time!
      by Anonymous on Jun 26, 2011 at 11:16 AM in reply to Candace
      My sympathies to your family. I agree with your comments except for the "#1 rule." Police officers are not trained to "shoot to kill", nor are they trained "to go for a leg or arm". That's just Hollywood myth, and just about impossible to do in real life. Law enforcement officers are trained to shoot to stop the threat, not kill or wound, although either outcome is possible. Again, my sympathies to you and your family.
        by shawn on Jun 27, 2011 at 07:03 PM in reply to
        candace a unarmed father has been murdered are you in ther corner on this
  • by Dee Location: Quincy on Jun 25, 2011 at 05:32 PM
    being a police officer is a dangerous job. who life would you save suspect or your own....my prayers go out to the bereaved family...but a job was done....
  • by NEIGHBOR Location: KSH, FL on Jun 25, 2011 at 12:49 PM
    I am a neighbor of Scott and have never known him to do anything to earn being shot and killed by the law. I think these officers are trigger happy, What a sad time around my house now, God Bless the family and the young son he left behind.
  • by sad on Jun 25, 2011 at 06:12 AM
    I'm so glad all you people have to do in life is make your comments concerning things you know nothing about! I feel for the family,it is hard enough knowing that a loved one was shot and killed much less by the same ones that is supposed to keep you safe! Until they find a gun then my opinion is that they are trigger happy and they reacted without regard to ones life!Bottom line is sounds to me like the man did not have a weapon and they are just trying to figure out how to cover their own butts.
  • by real lawyer Location: all 50 on Jun 24, 2011 at 05:23 PM
    when we get finished sueing these hillbilly cops in key stone nowhere that will be the end of them.
  • by TallyMa Location: Tally on Jun 24, 2011 at 04:16 PM
    Wow, he was just suspicious. He better be glad he wasn't wanted or they would've....Oh wait, too late, they did already...Oh well, don't have to worry about our tax dollars wasted housing this scum in jail. WTG Cops!!!!!
      by KL on Jul 6, 2011 at 09:40 AM in reply to TallyMa
      You are a real piece of work! If this would've been your brother, son, or better yet...your Dad...would you still feel the same? You are so ignorant!
  • by cherry on Jun 24, 2011 at 11:53 AM
    No way I could be a cop. I would most likely be trigger happy because you never know what people are going to do these days... or what kind of drugs they're even on for that matter, which can cause them to do even dumber things. Just sayin'
      by deputy on Jun 24, 2011 at 05:17 PM in reply to cherry
      thankscherry just keep the tolits clean at walmart.
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 124486094 - wctv.tv/a?a=124486094