Rear View Video to be Required?

Tallahassee. FL - Katherine Boland has her hands full keeping up with 15 month old Eva and four year old Everett.
She says she'll never buy another car without a rearview camera and the mix of cars and toddlers at pre-school pick up each day is one of the reasons why.
Boland says, "You always want to look around, although I don't only use the camera, I turn around and look behind me because there's so many kids around, but it's parking lots, my house, I mean I use it pretty much all the time."
The U.S. Department of Transportation announced Friday it wants all new cars equipped with those rear view cameras by 2014. The secretary says the cost - which he estimates will add another $200 to the price of car - is well worth the lives it will save.
An estimated 300 people a year lose their lives when a car backs into them and nearly 50% of those fatalities are children under the age of five.
Salesmen at Proctor Subaru dealership in Tallahassee estimate only about 20% of the cars on their lot have the rearview cameras, and the biggest demand for it is from parents of small children and those towing boats. Most who ask about adding it, Ron Modzelewski says, change their mind when they hear how much it costs. On these models it's another $450.
Modzelewski says, "People looking for leather are also looking for the back up cameras, commonly."
And the people on a budget?
"Just more so looking for a car to get them from point A to point B."

• by emptynester Location: Tallahassee on Dec 9, 2010 at 01:43 PM
    Big Brother is still alive and going strong!
  • by Bob Location: Jasper on Dec 9, 2010 at 01:36 PM
    And this will add how much to the cost of a new car? $400, 500 or more easily. The government wonders why car sales are in a slump. With the cheapest new car costing over $10,000 and many costing over $30,000 it's easy to see why sales are down. I was going to buy a new truck (to replace my 1975) but at $30,000 or more I can keep repairing the old one a long time.
  • by Anonymous on Dec 9, 2010 at 10:59 AM
    Come on guys, How many jobs were just created at the camera manufacturing plant? About 450, but they are in China.
  • by Read on Dec 9, 2010 at 07:06 AM
    It's not saying they're going to be required for current cars, but rather all the new models starting in 2014. It'll be standard issue and very well might be a good thing.
  • by False Location: Security on Dec 9, 2010 at 06:56 AM
    This will only lead to people not actually looking where they are driving. When I got my license, my dad drilled it into my head that I needed to turn around and look where I was backing. You don't back up with mirrors (trailers excepted). So why would you back up with a camera that doesn't see the big picture, only what is in front of it?
  • by Anon Location: Tallahassee on Dec 9, 2010 at 06:31 AM
    Oh, great, now everyone has to pay for this, because some people are so stupid or distracted that they don't know where their kids are and then run over them.
  • by gary Location: Tallahassee on Dec 9, 2010 at 05:59 AM
    You will see the cost of the camaras go up when they are required to put them in all autos. Just think, when you have to have them and have no choice, the price always sky rockets. Wish I could come up with something stupid to sell to the goverment as a safety divice and have goverment to require everyone to have to use it. I would be a billionare at your expense.
  • by david Location: whigham on Dec 9, 2010 at 05:36 AM
    I have a backup camera on my Honda Pilot. I absolutely love it. Jack, if you want to get the Government out of your car you can start with removing all outside and inside mirrors, seatbelts and any other safety equipment, as far as they are in your boat, then you must be one of the reasons they are. Lots of people who drive a boat have no courtesy on the water, are drunk, don't have any life jackets, etc.. Your freedom of choice will be to not buy a new vehicle or drive an antiquated, unsafe vehicle.
  • by georgia Location: ga on Dec 9, 2010 at 04:35 AM
    i think that would be great to have a rear view camera. i have had several neck surgeies and i cannot turn my hesd around very far, so for me i would really like it.
  • by Surprise Location: leon county on Dec 9, 2010 at 04:05 AM
    High end means? $200 - $400 to the car buyer with no say so bummer. (sad) We've long had goverment in our cars and now their in our boats with no stopping them in sight other then the voting booth? Come on 2012 they ain't seen nothing yet. (grin)
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 111571969 - wctv.tv/a?a=111571969