Rick Scott is First Bald Florida Governor in 138 Years

By: AP
By: AP

LAKELAND, Fla. (AP) --

Rick Scott is Florida's first indisputably bald governor in 138 years.

That's according to Politifact, which investigated the matter
after Republican Party of Florida chairman John Thrasher suggested
during the campaign that Scott could become the Sunshine State's
first bald governor.

As it turns out, Harrison Reed -- who headed the state from 1868
to 1873 -- holds that title.

Saint Leo University history professor Heather Parker says
baldness has traditionally been a liability for politicians because
it is associated with aging. In Scott's case, however, his robust
demeanor may have made his lack of hair irrelevant to voters.

• by yep Location: tally on Jan 17, 2011 at 08:45 PM
    To Larry, What wrong with taking the fifth? It's his and everyone's constitutional right to do so. If you truly believe that Scott is the only governor to ever have business problems do some digging, get the inside. I could name a few past Florida governors and politicians that that have experienced some serious business "mishaps" but I won't I like the money I'm getting now.
  • by TallyTrashTalks2 Location: Tallahassee on Jan 17, 2011 at 06:18 PM
    @Anonymous 7:35: Excellent points you made, but remember to be thankful Gov. Scott is smart enough to be bald and not do one of those half hair comb over jobs like most of us have seen with vain men trying to "pretend" to have more hair on the head than the truth reveals. Look at the bright side...Gov. Scott will never make a bad decision due to a "bad hair day"! ha ha ha P.S. I support Gov. Scott and the leadership he brings to the table has been LONG overdue for the State of Florida!
  • by alex Location: tampa on Jan 17, 2011 at 04:45 PM
    anonymous--thanks for clearing that up for me. i dont know what i was thinking.
  • by terri Location: perri on Jan 17, 2011 at 04:43 PM
    everyone deserves a 2nd chanse. if he did rob medicare it is our own fault for allowing the system to be so flawed. the opperunity was there and he may or may not have taken avtanage of it. if it was me i probly would have done it to. but the difference than him and me i would have been long gone from this booring depressing country.
  • by Anonymous on Jan 17, 2011 at 04:35 PM
    Will his lack of hair make him a better or worse Governor than post Civil War Gov. Reed ? With the personal assets Scott has he could buy Hair Club for Men or Bosley outright and there would be no excuse for him being bald.
  • by TallyTrashTalks2 Location: Tallahassee on Jan 17, 2011 at 04:08 PM
    When the story was posted about honoring Lt. Governor Carroll for being the first female African American for her position ,I had asked if Gov. Scott would be honored for being bald. So, needless to say this story cracks me up laughing!!
  • by linda gold digger Location: tampa on Jan 17, 2011 at 02:06 PM
    he is my kind of man tho. FILTHY RICH
  • by Anonymous on Jan 17, 2011 at 01:59 PM
    alex, I don't know why you think that everyone in Government is dishonest, but I think you're wrong. There are dishonest people everywhere, but not all people are dishonest.
  • by Anonymous on Jan 17, 2011 at 01:29 PM
    Men tend to lose their hair when they worry about what life will be like behind bars. Obviously our Governor worried A LOT for a while.
  • by is that you curly Location: stoogeland on Jan 17, 2011 at 01:27 PM
    whoop whoop whoop !
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 113871109 - wctv.tv/a?a=113871109