Rick Scott's Struggle with Power and Politics

By: Troy Kinsey Email
By: Troy Kinsey Email

Tallahassee, FL - "Good morning, everyone. Welcome to the first Cabinet meeting of 2011."

It's a new day in Florida, and along with it comes a brand-new Florida cabinet.

Today (1-19), attorney general Pam Bondi, CFO Jeff Atwater, agriculture commissioner Adam Putnam and governor Scott got together for the first time.

But, it's what happened *before* the meeting that continues to make waves.

In his effort to make Florida more business-friendly, the governor asked his colleagues on the cabinet to give him complete control over their departments' regulations.

Their answer...No way.

St. Petersburg Times political editor Adam Smith calls it the kind of public sector shock Scott may not have bargained for.

Smith says, "When you're a CEO, you can snap your fingers, things get done, people take orders. When you're in a government, you've got three equal branches of government, the Legislature's not going to take orders necessarily, even if they're fellow Republicans."

But, before a crowd of more than a hundred journalists, the new governor says working for the people has a distinct advantage over working for the board.

Governor Scott says, "I think it's easier. Nobody comes to me with a deal, ha, so it's all public, so I think it's easier. I like the process, because everybody knows, I mean, everybody knows what I say."

To that, more than a few reporters would beg to differ.
They complain the governor's making another misstep in not being as accessible as a public figure should.

"Some of you think that it's always hard to get enough access with me. I can just tell you the other side - my wife thinks I talk to you guys more than I talk to her."

Aside from pushing back at the governor's attempted power grab, the other cabinet members continue to be on friendly terms with the governor.

In fact, they say it's hard for them not to repeat his campaign trail mantra, 'Let's get to work'.

• by Devils Advocate Location: Tallahassee on Jan 21, 2011 at 09:17 AM
    To: To Devils Advocate, you are right of course, I know there are workers for the state who go above and beyond in their work ethic. However, I was speaking of the state "lifer" employee who never developed a work ethic. Coming to the state after a life working in the private sector, it was a rude awakening seeing the waste.
  • by the other anonymous on Jan 20, 2011 at 08:25 PM
    Hmmmm...Rick Scott paid $73 million to get $132,000 ($.01)per year. Obama paid $2.4 BILLION to get $400,000 per year. No, no, it's not about the annual salary.
  • by corrine Location: quincy on Jan 20, 2011 at 06:55 PM
    Scott knows exactly what the role of governor is. That is to have all the power to do whatever the hell he wants to do. Hard to trust a man like Scott. He leaves you straching your head. He knows he is not governor material, poor thing. Got into something he bought and now do not know what to do with it. Howevr, Sink would not have been any better. She reminds me of a democrat in republican drag. However, I'm praying that Scott gets his "sea legs" and starts to govern like a "real" politician. Good luck to you, Mr. Scott.
  • by Anonymous on Jan 20, 2011 at 06:10 PM
    How come nobody checks facts before they comment here. People were wrong an how many votes Scott got, and on how much the Governor gets paid. You know, there is this little thing called GOOGLE, and learning to use it can give you access to so many facts quickly, you can't handle it all.
  • by Anonymous on Jan 20, 2011 at 06:07 PM
    drs , The Governor doesn't get 170,000. The salary for the Governor of Florida is only about 132,000. Scott elected to get paid only 0.01 dollars a year anyway. His 70 million campaign got him a job with power, not a job with a big paycheck. For Scott it was never about money, it was always about power. For politicians, it is always about power.
  • by insane in the membrane Location: looney land on Jan 20, 2011 at 02:32 PM
    who in their right mind pays 73 million dollars for a job ?
  • by anon Location: tally on Jan 20, 2011 at 01:55 PM
    They'll never give him a chance. They sit in their worn out, skid marked rocking chairs and act like they know everything. They'll listen when he says "free"..."redistribution", but only then.
  • by To Devils Advocate on Jan 20, 2011 at 12:57 PM
    Or the opposite could be true. Tax paid employees will have to be paid overtime for working past normal work hours. And before you go off thinking that does not happen, trust me it does. It goes both ways. There are slackers and those dedicated and work extra. The same as any organization private or public.
  • by anonymous2 Location: tallahassee on Jan 20, 2011 at 12:41 PM
    OMG give the man a chance. His set his salary at only .01 per year. Sounds like a saving of $169,999.99 savings to the state to me, and he has only been in office two weeks.
  • by Devils Advocate Location: Tallahassee on Jan 20, 2011 at 11:25 AM
    If he wants to immediately start saving money he should have it mandatory that all tax paid employees use a time clock to account for work time. I bet the coming in late, leaving early and extended lunch hours would stop.
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 114249944 - wctv.tv/a?a=114249944