Round Two for Ban on Federal Health Care

By: Troy Kinsey Email
By: Troy Kinsey Email

Tallahassee, FL - It's a prescription for independence Mike Haridopolos calls long overdue, and Wednesday, the Republican Senate President won a key victory in his fight to repeal 'Obamacare' in Florida.

The Senate Health Regulation Committee approved haridopolos' so-called 'Health Care Freedom Act'.

It's now on the fast track to pass the full legislature and ultimately make it to the 2012 ballot.

Haridopolos,(R) Senate President says, "This is not a mandate from us, just the opposite. We feel like we're reaching out to people, and given how my emails are coming in, people strongly support this idea and we're going to do our best to defend it."

Just when you thought the Republican plan to repeal Obamacare was left for dead, well...There's a heartbeat, but, Democrats say it still doesn't have the backbone to pass constitutional muster.

The Florida Supreme Court struck down the bill's predecessor because of confusing language.

Republican leaders are confident the new version is crystal-clear, but, Democratic Representative Rick Kriseman says there's a bigger issue.

The fact that health care reform and its mandate that people buy insurance is part of *federal* law.

Kriseman argues states don't have the power to opt-out.

Rep. Rick Kriseman, (D) St. Petersburg, says, "Instead of being concerned about issues that are most important to Floridians, which are jobs, jobs, jobs and jobs, we're going to spend time debating a bill that's been found unconstitutional once and probably will be again."

Haridopolos doesn't disagree it'll be a *delicate operation*.
But, thanks to the growing belief washington has overstepped its authority, he's confident the prognosis looks good.

• by Anonymous on Dec 9, 2010 at 01:35 PM
    anon you are the only one who makes any sense on this post so far. Obamacare is not the answer, but the medical field CANNOT be part of a free market. The consumer does not have the freedom to choose not to have care and that is one of the primary requirements of a free market. Insurance companies, medical providers, big pharma are all getting filthy rich. Medical costs in this country have risen at 3 times the rate of inflation for over 25 years. Something has to be done.
  • by Anonymous on Dec 9, 2010 at 09:18 AM
    Hospitals are overcharging for everything. Insurance companies have 'contract deals' with each hospital and provider. Insurance pays about 50% of what a non-insured person has to pay. When I worked my group insurance cost was $3.50 per hour and when I was out of work COBRA was $680.per month. Now private insurance plan for semiretired is over $20,000. per year. I guess I will just have to roll over and die after I go broke and become homeless from paying for insurance coverage. It would be cheaper for me to pay the $3300. per year federal penalty. Thank you America - this is what I get for working hard, saving and paying ALL of my bills for nearly 40 years and I am too young for Soc.Sec.and Medicare!
  • by me Location: tally on Dec 9, 2010 at 08:48 AM
    EDITH...Car insurance protects the other person you HIT as well as you....and if you pay more for car insurance than health insurance then you're being ripped off.
  • by Anonymous on Dec 9, 2010 at 08:15 AM
    You choose to own a car. You don't exactly choose to live. Well, I guess you can choose not to live. Federal healthcare is just another step in the wrong direction. It is unethical and illegal. Repeal it!
  • by MEOK Location: Tallahassee on Dec 9, 2010 at 06:44 AM
    If you think this is so great then you can pay for mine so I won't go to jail. I can hardly pay my rent, food and utilities. It is awful, and don't say social services will help, because they won't. All I can get is food stamps, which do not provide the food we need for the month. I have no children at home and my husband has been out of work for over a year!! We are in a gray area for help, and yet we do just make it. Why force us to pay another bill. We pay for all our medical expenses now. I applaud all those that want us to have a choice!
  • by Alligator Gar Location: Panacea on Dec 9, 2010 at 06:43 AM
    I agree, this is NOT single-payer. It does NOTHING to help people who are underemployed/out of work. This Obamacare IS a bailout for insurance companies by giving them a government-enforced monopoly. It also is a death sentence for small business. I'm closing mine come Jan. 1. I am NOT going to file a 1099 every time I buy fuel or supplies for over $600/year from a single vendor. Forget it. And being FORCED to buy health insurance?! Come on. This act is the biggest hog-trough to come out of the District of Criminal in ages. It's wealth transfer from those who work to those who WON'T. Pure and simple. And the lazy, fat insurance companies who scream every time they pay a claim are in the middle directing the money and skimming off their billions from the top.
  • by Pal on Dec 9, 2010 at 05:56 AM
    Doctor J and Edith are you serious? Lets rational this; In order to drive a car (personal choice) you must have auto insurance, whereas in order to live (inate choice) you must have health insurance? Last I checked no one willfully asked to be born. I didnot willfully ask to be born, be born into an entitlement society, which has now allowed us all and the future to be born into debt that can never be repaid and now with less personal basic unalienable rights that are endowed by my creator. Its not an OBAMA thing its an AMERICAN thing. AMERICA - Home of the Free AND Brave!
  • by For Edith and Dr. J Location: Tallahassee on Dec 9, 2010 at 05:51 AM
    Dr. J and Edith-- I work for a very, very large corporation and I pay around $520 per month for health care through my employer. My car insurance for me and my wife (2 vehicles) is $110/month through progressive. Please tell me how car insurance costs the consumer more than healthcare insurance.
  • by Anonymous on Dec 9, 2010 at 05:50 AM
    Wow Edith..the same old retort...car insurance...hey, you are not required by law to drive!
  • by juswonderin Location: hereandthere on Dec 9, 2010 at 05:35 AM
    EDITH: you can pay my portion then and my fines when I do not pay. If you are on Medicare, get ready for cuts when Obama takes money from it to pay for Medicaid, to get more on the government teat.
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 111574114 - wctv.tv/a?a=111574114