Same Name, Same Crime? Brothers Accused in Similar Murders

May 12, 2011 by Julie Montanaro

A Tallahassee man is accused of killing his girlfriend and dumping her body in the river. The story is shocking in itself. But we were surprised to discover the man's brother is serving a life sentence for an eerily similar crime.

February 2011. Fishermen find the body of a missing Tallahassee woman in the Ochlocknee River. Amanda Evans dead. Her on-again, off-again boyfriend Orrin Battles accused of killing her.

October 2006. Fishermen find the body of a missing Havana woman in the Ochlocknee River. Martha Battles dead. Her estranged husband Johnnie Lee Battles accused of killing her.

Orrin Battles and Johnny Lee Battles are brothers.

In fact, Orrin testified against his baby brother in court, saying Johnny Lee confessed to him on the stairs of his home.

""He was crying. He said I done something. I done something. I asked him, I asked him what did he do. He told me man, I killed her, I killed her," Orrin Battles said when he testified at Johnny Lee's trial in April 2010.

Amanda Evans's body was found in the Ochlocknee River here near the bridge in Fairbanks Ferry. About five years earlier Martha Battles body was found a little bit farther downstream by Iron Bridge Road.

In fact, when Amanda Evans went missing earlier this year, her sister reminded deputies of the sister in law's fate.

"I knew about the brother killing his wife and using that same river, that's where I told police to start looking," Easter Evans said.

According to arrest reports, Amanda Evans was last seen at a Fast Pay Day loan store on South Monroe street with a man police believe to be boyfriend Orrin Battles.

We were able to get a copy of the store's surveillance video. You can see a man with a white cloth in his hand. Police believe he was wiping down the door handles of Evans's car.

The video later shows Evans walking into frame, getting into the front passenger seat of the car and then the car pulling away and out of sight.

Those may be the last images of Amanda Evans alive.

The surveillance video is sure to be a key piece of evidence in Orrin Battles's upcoming trial, though no date has been set for that.

• by Ole Hickory Location: Marietta, Georgia on May 13, 2011 at 05:00 PM
    I reccommend "Rid-A-Bug," or another equivalent poison, to rid you of roaches. A 'smattering of "Roach Proof," behind your appliances,' and under the floor cabinets, will kill these roaches! They will not last-long. Clean-up, is a breaze! ShopVac to remove the dead...It's okay to suck-'em-up, and toss 'em in the garbage!
  • by wendy Location: leon on May 13, 2011 at 03:50 PM
    all in the family. you didn't think there were only 1 loser it this family did you?
  • by Anonymous Location: Tallahassee on May 13, 2011 at 10:47 AM
    Mrs. Wilson....God Bless you ma'am! This world is full of cold hearted people. Ignore them! Let God be you and your daughters strenght.
  • by Ridiculous Location: GA on May 13, 2011 at 10:00 AM
    I think Ms. Wilson is saying that because of the bad choices of these men, her daughter will not have the priviledge of having a father. I don't think she was saying that they should be release, get the facts before you start attacking people!
      by David on May 13, 2011 at 10:36 AM in reply to Ridiculous
      I agree.
  • by Confused? Location: Tally on May 13, 2011 at 05:43 AM
    So the imprisoned brother is your child's father? If so, Orin didn't deprive her of a father - it was Johnnie that did that by murdering that woman! I'm just sayin...
  • by Mrs.Debra Wilson on May 12, 2011 at 05:32 PM
    I know better than anyone how abusive these men could be.Thank God I got out before it was too late.He had deprived my daughter of a father for the rest of her life.
      by GV on May 13, 2011 at 07:10 AM in reply to Mrs.Debra Wilson
      Are you serious?He deprived your daughter of a father?I guess the father murdering someone didn't have anything to do with it.That is the most stupidest thing I've ever heard.A man killed a woman and you think he should be let off scott free because he has a daughter with you.You are one sick person.Maybe you shouldn't be having babies with killers.
        by Mrs.Debra Wilson on May 13, 2011 at 10:13 AM in reply to GV
        I have a child with Orrin.I do not want him released for my childs sake.He has caused hurt in Amanda's family and his 11 year old daughter.My child has to go to school with children teasing her.So where is your sympathy?
          by Tyree on May 13, 2011 at 05:23 PM in reply to Mrs.Debra Wilson
          My sympathy is not with you, you daughter of a dog! You need to be jailed, and fed the raw intestines of unsavory and unclean animals!
          by Tyree on May 13, 2011 at 06:35 PM in reply to Mrs.Debra Wilson
          Maury! Maury! Maury! Yeah what it is, break it down! Show these, teach these! My Dogs, my big dogs! Be a rater, not a hater!
      by gus on May 13, 2011 at 03:52 PM in reply to Mrs.Debra Wilson
      poor orrin.
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 121740874 - wctv.tv/a?a=121740874