Scott: 5 Percent Contribution to Pension is Fair

By: The News Service of Florida
By: The News Service of Florida

Asking public employees to contribute 5 percent to their pension fund is perfectly fair, considering most people in the private sector do at least that, if they have a pension at all, Gov. Rick Scott said during a radio interview Tuesday. “Very few companies have a pension (plan). They can’t afford it,” Scott said in a sit-down with WFLA Radio in Tallahassee. “Often there’s not even a dime put in by the private company. That’s the private sector today, whether we like it or not.” Scott said that he’s worried that the state pension fund isn’t fully funded – which means if everyone retired tomorrow and demanded their pension, there wouldn’t be enough money to cover it. “We’ve got to go to where we have a pension fund that’s viable,” Scott said. “It’s fair that employees pay 5 percent. That’s absolutely fair.” Scott also said the state must end double dipping in the DROP system, where state employees “retire” and collect retirement benefits and then go back to work also drawing a salary. “It’s just not fair,” Scott said. “We can’t pay for it.”

• by GV Location: Ga on Feb 25, 2011 at 04:51 AM
    State Worker,I think you should determine how much you contribute,too.But if you contribute nothing,then you should get nothing.What's so hard about that?
  • by jim on Feb 24, 2011 at 06:52 PM
    Five percent is five percent. It would be taken out based upon the salary payment method of your agency (monthly for some and biweekly for others).
  • by State works are apparently NOT citizens! on Feb 24, 2011 at 08:37 AM
    PRIVATE INDUSTRY ALSO GIVES PAY RAISES!!! What moron in their right mind would stay with an employer who had given raises in 6 years unless the benefits made up for it??? When you can pay me enough to feed my kids without welfare I will be happy to contribute! And just remember Gov. Scott-free state employees are TAX-PAYING CITIZENS, TOO!!!!
  • by AMAZED on Feb 24, 2011 at 08:21 AM
    THIS IS FOR ALL OF YOU SCOTT SUPPORTERS. BING INC IS BEING HOUSED IN INNOVATION PARK AND WILL START OPERATION NEXT MONTH (NEXT WEEK). THEY HAVE ALREADY COMPLETED HIRING WHICH WAS SUPPOSED TO HAVE BEEN ADVERTISED ON THE WORKFORCE SITE, DIDN'T FIND IT. THE HIRING MAINLY CONSISTED OF FSU EMPLOYEES MOVING AROUND SINCE BING AND FSU ARE WORKING TOGETHER. MOST POSITIONS REQUIRED A BACHELORS OR MASTERS SO ANY JOE SHMOE OFF THE STREET WOULD NOT QUALIFY. A WOMAN AT FSU WAS HIRED AS A ADMINISTRATIVE SECRETARY AND RECEIVED A $6,000 PER YEAR RAISE. AS FAR AS OTHER NEW BUSINESS COMING....NONE SO FAR. SO NOW WE ARE DOWN TO 199,756 PROMISED JOBS IN 7 YEARS.
  • by Rey Location: Tallahassee on Feb 24, 2011 at 05:11 AM
    Why don't our elected officials lead by example... let's cut their retirement and see how much we would save.
  • by State Worker Location: Tallahassee on Feb 24, 2011 at 04:50 AM
    GV - I never said that I didn't want to contribute to the fund. It should be my decision on how much I want to contribute or if I even want to contribute. By the time I get to the age of needing the retirement there won't be anything to get. I should have the option to chose what I want. So is the state of GA better? Do their state workers work for nothing? I am sure they are getting the same benefits and making more money for what they do. So until you become a FL citizen please don't comment on what goes on here. Keep it in your own state.
  • by Ken Location: St. Augustine, FL on Feb 23, 2011 at 10:05 PM
    I can imagine he would think 5% is fair. 5% of my salary wouldn't pay for enough jet fuel to fly him more than a block in his private jet.
  • by Wanted to Know Location: Florida on Feb 23, 2011 at 09:00 PM
    Is this 5% bi-weekly,monthly or yearly? How much will it cost the average State employee? Anyone
  • by Anonymous Location: Tally on Feb 23, 2011 at 08:59 PM
    You know I didn't vote for him, but I knew from his what was going to happen if he got voted in I started w/ the state for the benifits no lie- the work is not hard - but ALL those big wigs need to work in the jobs of the peons that work in the lowest trenches and then they can make a decision then.
  • by chad on Feb 23, 2011 at 08:33 PM
    I’m all for tightening the the collective belt of state workers in tough times. The problem is during the “good times” when the Florida legislature was funneling tens, no, hundreds of millions of dollars directly into the private sector through their pet “turkey” projects, state workers were less than an afterthought, not even getting cost of living adjustments. The state won't keep good workers with bottom of the barrel pay AND making them pay for half of retirement and 2/3 of their health care. There is no incentive for good workers to stay. No business works based on that model.
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 116735044 - wctv.tv/a?a=116735044