Scott: Collective Bargaining Bad, But it's in Constitution

By: The News Service of Florida
By: The News Service of Florida

Gov. Rick Scott clarified on March 2 that he thinks “we ought to get rid of” collective bargaining, but said that’s unlikely because it’s in the state constitution.

“We have collective bargaining in our constitution …. so we’re going to have collective bargaining,” Scott said in an interview on the CNBC TV network from the floor of the New York stock exchange. “If we’re going to change collective bargaining we’ve got to do that through an amendment to our constitution.” Scott said earlier this year that he was “fine with collective bargaining” at the height of the protests in Wisconsin, where Gov. Scott Walker is trying to end public employees’ rights to bargain through a union. It was one of the first indications that Scott might not be in lockstep with other new Republican governors who have moved to take on unions, which typically support Democrats. But Scott said Wednesday that he generally agrees with the move to reduce the power of unions – and added cryptically that he was focused on it, though he wasn’t asked to follow up on what that meant. “I believe that collective bargaining hurts the most effective, the hardest working employees,” Scott said on CNBC. “That’s the problem with collective bargaining. What you have to do is pay somebody who doesn’t work as hard, or is not as effective, the same amount. That’s why I’m focused on collective bargaining. That’s why I think we ought to get rid of it.” Scott hasn’t publicly proposed a change in the constitutional guarantee of the right to collectively bargain, but unions don’t like several policies he’s put forward, particularly a proposal that public employees contribute 5 percent to their pension plans. Currently state workers don’t contribute to their retirement accounts.”

• by Lilly Location: Tallahassee on Mar 3, 2011 at 12:56 PM
    Drake, you are a complete idiot. Like Mary said, you have no idea how hard we state employees work. You obviously think that all we do is sit around and gossip. I, for one, am not lazy. I take one break in the morning and one in the afternoon, and break for lunch. The rest of the day I bust my butt, except for this very minute: I am taking my break, a bit later than usual, because I have been working on a project for my boss. I won't be leaving here until 5:30 this evening, because I won't leave the project unfinished. Lazy? I don't think so. Neither is Mary
  • by Abnormal Location: Tallahassee on Mar 3, 2011 at 12:56 PM
    Drake, go back to your milk and cookies. As for Moammar Scott, I'm actually surprised he looked at the State Constitution, or had someone from his office do it, because he's been operating like he didn't even know it existed until now.
  • by Wilhem Location: Tallahassee on Mar 3, 2011 at 12:43 PM
    Drake you're an idiot. You know nothing about state employees obviously. All, he may be saying this just to stir up controversy.
  • by Mary Location: Tally on Mar 3, 2011 at 10:53 AM
    Drake you're a moron and you have no clue how hard most state employees work. In the last 4 years our office has gone from 28 employees to 13 we all are working 2 or 3 jobs with no added compensation. By the way I'm on my break.We do at least still get that.
  • by Anonymous on Mar 3, 2011 at 10:28 AM
    Flip-flopper!!!
  • by Drake Location: Tallahassee on Mar 3, 2011 at 09:06 AM
    State workers are lazy and need to be cut, but we need to keep our schools, teachers, and cops, but as for state workers, they will not be missed! Save money, can a state worker!
  • by Anonymous Location: Tallahassee on Mar 3, 2011 at 08:49 AM
    I totally agree with "No Difference Made" statement. I am an accessibility consultant. I’ve worked for several private firms in the past. I made more money, had better and cheaper benefits. I decided to work with the State after noticing the obstacles disabled people had accessing government technology and websites. With my help there have been numerous changes. Come in my office and all you will see is a wall of awards and recognitions. Do you think that I have gotten a raise/bonus? No! I am tired of statements like, "State/Public workers are lazy” or “They deserve what they get". We are all not lazy, and a lot of what we do benefits ALL.
  • by Mary Location: Tally on Mar 3, 2011 at 08:36 AM
    I couldn't agree with you more. I know DHSMV has become way top heavy in the last 5 to 6 years. All with salaries over 50k. Media reps, chiefs of staff assistants to assistants. None of which was there when Mr. Dickinson was the director.PLEASE START AT THE TOP.
  • by Jusgitinby Location: Tally Town on Mar 3, 2011 at 08:32 AM
    I agree with no differnce made, i too have had exceptional evals my entire career and got squat for it and as said get rid of the upper management, cut salries to half and give it to someone he can make a difference
  • by No Difference Made Location: Local on Mar 3, 2011 at 06:48 AM
    Either way, as a state employee I have received zero incentive raises ever in my state employment lifetime. Regardless that I have always received a excellent evalutation.. Numerous letters of recomendation nor anything else. Why because they save the raises and money for themselves and their special interest.. Now Scott wants us to receive even less and with less perks at that (benefits & retirement) that is the only thing keeping me here.I am currently going to school and working to become a teacher and that is under fire as well. Where will this end?? Get rid of those fat A&& sitting on top.. I will do their jobs for 1/2 of what they make and I promise their will be a difference. Just don't get rid of us little guys.. We make the world go round!
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 117311573 - wctv.tv/a?a=117311573