Scott Dodges Drug Czar

By: Whitney Ray Email
By: Whitney Ray Email

Tallahassee, FL - 85 percent of all the Oxycodone sold in the US comes from Florida. That’s because drug dealers know they can go to South Florida, visit half a dozen pain clinics, and load up on prescription painkillers.

An estimated seven people overdose on prescription drugs and die everyday in Florida. People are also dying in other states from drugs purchased here.

Last year State Senator Mike Fasano passed legislation creating a prescription drug database to target people who go from doctor to doctor to load up on pain killers.

“People come from all over the United States to get prescription drugs, to get narcotics, to either use them or sell them on the street,” said Fasano.

Earlier this year, Governor Rick Scott announced plans to nix the database, first calling it a waste of money. Now saying…

“I don’t support the database. I believe it’s an invasion of privacy,” said Scott.

Scott’s opposition to the database is drawing attention at the highest levels. The US Drug Czar has been trying to meet with Scott to talk about how Florida’s lack of regulation is affecting law enforcement officers in other states. The US Drug Czar was in Tallahassee Thursday, hoping to meet with Scott.

“I’ve reached out to the governor. I haven’t heard back from him yet, but I understand with all that’s going on in the state,” said US Drug Czar Gil Kerkilowske.

But there wasn’t much on Scott’s schedule while the Czar was in town, just two items: staff/call time and 30 minutes of economic development meetings.

Talks of a meeting are still ongoing. We made a public records request for communications between the Drug Czar and the Governor’s Office. Our request has yet to be satisfied.

• by LOL Location: Tallahassee on Mar 7, 2011 at 06:40 AM
    Keep up the good work Govenor Scott. Keep Big Brother Away!!
  • by Anonymous on Mar 6, 2011 at 11:18 AM
    It's called "protecting your friends."
  • by Cause I said so on Mar 6, 2011 at 09:18 AM
    Robbing GoodCitizens: Gov has it's place, and needs to stay in it's place and if not someone should put it there! As for you mentioning sending me and others to another country because we dont agree with this wasteful plan and all the FED strings attatched to it. Somolia land and the millions that are dieing in Africa doesnt concern your Great GOVERNMENT unless oil is involved, then if 10 people are killed in an oil rich region of Africa , well lets send out the troops, those troops being the moms and dads and brothers and sisters and sons and daughters of the people and not the upper crust of this Corporate industry of the military industrial gangsters that are playing both sides with nothing to loose and money and power and control to gain . Playing both sides of an uprising just to win. Lybia, ring a bell, Egypt and countries of the middle east, asains as some call them. Get real Robbing Allfellows. I dont need your civil war! It feeds the rich while burys the poor. Cause I said so!
  • by airborne on Mar 6, 2011 at 04:47 AM
    @Robin-Been there, '93-94. It was hot and humid and everybody, and I mean everybody, had an AK. Don't dislike government, just massive government spending, like the kind you see here, that creates generations of government welfare/employee/dependents.
  • by Kevin aka Reality Location: Monticello on Mar 5, 2011 at 02:51 PM
    Hey Im by no means a Leftist . I do not support giving Illegals ANYTHING. Nor do I support taking away the 2nd ammendment or loving Foreign aggressors. But struggling CITIZENS (keyword) should be entitled , especially if we can send billions to every other Country. The far left stinks , but so does the far Right. Airborne , go back to New York and Wall Street :)
  • by Robin Goodfellow on Mar 5, 2011 at 01:19 PM
    Airborne and cause I said so - if you dislike government so much, and have no use for it, please move to Somalia to see what life is like without government. Too much government IS bad, but none is worse. No regulation? Then you get Wall Street and Love Canal. Want to be able to drink clean water and breathe clean air? - you need government! You have it so well, you have no inkling what it's like to lack those two basic necessities - and I can tell you unregulated private industry WILL destroy those two necessities without batting an eye, just to make a buck.
  • by airborne on Mar 5, 2011 at 10:51 AM
    Well spoken cause I said so. The business of America is business. There is not one single government agency in Tallahassee that generates a profit. All they do is suck away people's income that they should be allowed to keep home and spend as they please. But if the locals want to keep up the government entitlement here in Tallahassee then keep on, but good luck on getting private business to move here. Like I've said before, people get recruited to come here then they leave, never to come back.
  • by airborne on Mar 5, 2011 at 10:46 AM
    The main drug of abuse is alcohol. The government tried to regulate it. They failed. But they spent a lot of money failing, didn't they?
  • by airborne on Mar 5, 2011 at 10:00 AM
    Scott is getting the federal government 50 year old spending spree out of Florida. A applaude him. This is a courageous man. Now I realize all the government worker/dependent/welfare/social entitlement people don't like him. Maybe you should move to Cuba where socialism is the basis for the economy. Scott understands the government is not the solution to support an economy, it is the problem in allowing one to grow. I find it ironic that the locals are celebrating a Civil War battle, which was about state's rights, but you're complaining about Scott refusing to take federal money for boondoggle programs that will last into eternity. Well you can't have it both ways. Like I said, "ya'll" sure don't like Yankees, but you sure do like Yankee money.
  • by Pete Zahut on Mar 5, 2011 at 09:35 AM
    Do some deep digging and I'll bet you'll find that Rickie stands to make a ton of money on drugs - after all, look at all the money he stole from the federal government - and got away with it!
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 117444278 - wctv.tv/a?a=117444278