Scott Signs Abortion Bills Into Law

By: Ashley Mitchem, Associated Press
By: Ashley Mitchem, Associated Press

[UPDATE] by Ashley Mitchem on 6-25-11 7:00 PM --

Governor Rick Scott signed a bill that will require ultrasounds before women can receive first-trimester abortions.The requirement was already in place for later-term abortions.

This comes a year after former Florida Governor Charlie Crist vetoed a similar proposal.

Women will have to sign forms if they don't want to see the fetal images or hear descriptions.

Scott also approved a bill aimed at tightening the state law that requires parents to be notified before their minor daughters have abortions.
The parental-notice measure, Scott signed, seeks to tighten restrictions on what is known as judicial "bypass." That process allows minors to seek court approval for abortions without their parents being notified.
Most people didn't even know about the new laws because it was signed recently and discreetly.

Only time will tell if the changes lower the abortion rates.
_______________________________________________________

Tallahassee, FL (AP) - Governor Rick Scott has signed two abortion
bills into law.

One of them (HB 1127) requires women to undergo ultrasounds
before getting an abortion. The other (HB 1247) makes it more
difficult for minors to get court waivers from Florida's parental
notification law.

Among the other laws Scott signed Friday was a law (SB 1676)
that would set limits on lawsuits against nonprofit Florida
teaching hospitals and their staffs. Another law (SB 644)
strengthens Florida's "Silver Alert" program that helps find
missing elderly people.

(Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

• by bandmom64 Location: orlando on Jun 28, 2011 at 04:50 PM
    Yet again, I ask when will men be held to the same standards as women? Make men accountable and pay 18 years of child support for the "unplanned" that they help create through unprotected sexual activities. Hit them where it hurts, they are doing it to women everyday.
  • by Anonymous on Jun 27, 2011 at 10:02 AM
    Ever notice that the people who thump their bibles and say "Do it for the CHILDREN!" the loudest, have no adopted minority children in their families? Their "faith" always stops just short of actually DOING something about the situation.
  • by Anonymous on Jun 27, 2011 at 07:53 AM
    ABORT SCOTT FIRST TERM !
  • by beenthere on Jun 26, 2011 at 08:57 AM
    used birth control. Fact condoms are only 97% safe. I fell in the 3 percent. I was pregnant with twins and one and died. I was starting to get sick due to the dead fetus. Doctor told me that I had to end the pregnancy or I could die. So what all you are saying is I should have died? I had a child that I planned that was 5 that I needed to raise. Don't think that women don't morn their children that in my case I had to have the pregnancy ended or die.
      by Woman on Jun 26, 2011 at 01:30 PM in reply to beenthere
      beenthere, I don't think any of these haters are refering to the rare cases where a life is at stake. I believe they are refering mostly to the young girls who don't protect themselves to begin with. Defend the right to abortion but try not to take these people so personally. I'll bet there is not a single man on here who has ever had to make a decision like this with his own body. Neither has he felt the pain.
  • by Anonymous on Jun 25, 2011 at 06:29 PM
    There needs to be more abortions going on, if you ask me.
  • by Woman on Jun 25, 2011 at 04:22 PM
    The law doesn't make me use birth controll, doesn't make me get a pregnancy test, doesn't make me have an abortion or have a baby. It's not right that the law makes me have an ultra sound. The law hasn't been involed in the rest of the process and the law will back out after the ultra sound. The law has no place here. Laws don't belong in any uterus. I promise, any woman who is considering an abortion, already has enough to deal with. She doesn't need the doc to paint her a picture and the law should have nothing to do with it.
      by 1stlttightwad on Jun 26, 2011 at 06:53 AM in reply to Woman
      Maybe she should have had a picture of a birth control pill drawn for her.
        by Woman on Jun 26, 2011 at 01:24 PM in reply to 1stlttightwad
        That was a dumb comment 1stlttightwad! We are discussing abortion here, not the imaginary wish that one is not being considered. "What if" comments are not going to get the woman to change her mind. Can't you do better than that?
        by Anonymous on Jun 28, 2011 at 06:08 PM in reply to 1stlttightwad
        Maybe the male should have pictures drawn of a condom or better yet the bill for raising a child. It costs over $220,000 to raise one until age 18.
  • by nole82 Location: New York formerly Tallahassee on Jun 25, 2011 at 01:38 PM
    The usual emotional approach to defending or accusing either side of this argument continues ad nauseam. The bottom line is clear, governments of our nation have no business dictating personal decisions in family matters. We have evolved in terms of our history past religious doctrines rooted in mysticism and fear.
  • by Heeza Kreep on Jun 25, 2011 at 11:12 AM
    If there ever was a good reason for abortion, Scott is it. Interesting how someone who professes to want to keep government out of people's business uses a Nazi tactic like this to push his will and that of his bible-thumping brethren on the public.
      by Carrie on Jun 25, 2011 at 11:45 AM in reply to Heeza Kreep
      I so agree with you on that one
      by 1stlttightwad on Jun 26, 2011 at 07:00 AM in reply to Heeza Kreep
      Nazi tactic? Hmmm,last time I read my history books the Nazi's did not beleive in the Bible thumpers credo...Thou shalt not kill.
  • by Carrie Location: Perry Florida on Jun 25, 2011 at 10:26 AM
    The goverment shouldnt have any say on this having an aborton is up to the the person having it not the goverment. Its not baby killing if there is no heart beat yet because if there is no heart beat its not alive so you are not killing a baby. What is baby killing tho is all these troops killing babies & small children they are the baby killers not the mothers having abortions. Keep the goverment & your god & religion out of my life & my healthcare
  • by dog Location: gone on Jun 25, 2011 at 08:12 AM
    Wrong on the Abortion bill. Keep RELIGION out of my HOSPITAL and my MEDICAL PROCEDURES.
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 124525459 - wctv.tv/a?a=124525459