Scott's Approval Ratings

By: Whitney Ray Email
By: Whitney Ray Email

Tallahassee, FL - Governor Rick Scott’s job approval rating was low as he spoke to a group of wounded veterans Wednesday, but you wouldn’t know it by the smile on the newcomer’s face.

Only 36 percent of Floridians think Scott is doing a good job, according to a new Quinnipiac poll. The low number is likely a symptom of his newcomer status because 43 percent of the voters polled said they didn’t have enough information to judge his performance. Scott’s doesn’t seem concerned.

Scott: I haven’t seen it [Quinnipiac Poll].
Reporter: Do you plan to look at it?
Scott: I don’t know.

Voters were asked 28 questions mostly about the governor’s plans to cut spending and layoff state workers.
46 percent say layoffs are a bad idea. But two out of three like Scott’s plan to make government employees contribute to their retirement. More than half like the fact that Scott cut his salary to one dollar but only one in four thinks he can fulfill his campaign promises.
They include creating 700-thousand jobs, cutting property tax by 19 percent, and lowering spending to 2004 levels. Pollster Peter Brown says Scott has plenty of time to make good.

“Governors who tackle things up front, you know, may be better off,” said Brown.

What matters is how you finish, not how you begin. Scott has four years to prove himself, and according to the poll 56 percent are optimistic about the rest of his term. The number one concern of the 11-hundred voters polled was the state budget. 94 percent say it’s a serious obstacle facing the new governor.

• by @ I dn't understand Location: local on Feb 4, 2011 at 01:18 PM
    @ I don't understand you said he hasn't been in office long and I Agree. But what I don't understand is that when people said that same thing for Obama everyone expected him to save the world.. The bigger the mess the longer it takes to work it out.. But as long as we are working in the right direction we can succeed. But we must stand together and stop falling apart. Look at Egypt.. As a people u grow tired of the bull.
  • by Patty Location: Florida on Feb 4, 2011 at 04:52 AM
    I have worked for County Government for 25 years. During that time I have never recieved a bonus, not had a raise more than 3% in many years and the last three nothing. I have never been allowed to take a gift, you see thats ok because I am a public servant. Those are the rules, I follow them. Now that I have 5 years left Scott wants to change the rules and run it like a business. Well how about a bonus for being under paid for 25 years. Pay class studies showing the difference from public and private sector are always thousand of dollars more annually for a Sr. Contract Administrator in the private sector. Who are you going to call when sewer is running in your street, yes most likely you will call the government and get a public servant who is under paid yet its worth it because of our benifits. RIGHT VOTE HIM OUT!!!
  • by Idiots Location: Tallahassee on Feb 3, 2011 at 04:28 PM
    Hey Boss, I have been at my new job now 15 minutes, how am I doing? Some polling service must have needed some revenue, and some moron was willing to pay for a rediculous survey. Polls are the biggest bunch of bull, I take telephone polls all the time and tell them whatever hits me at the time. I know other people that do the same, so how accurate can they be? Not very.
  • by lady please on Feb 3, 2011 at 03:45 PM
    @my .02. i think they were talking about JEB not GW. this is a conversation about the gov and state politics. did you forget Jeb Bush was our gov my .02? you do know our governor can do much more harm to the state than the president.
  • by Diamondlady Location: Florida on Feb 3, 2011 at 03:14 PM
    I find it curious that some feel State workers don't earn their pay. I was recruited from teh private sector and was paid on contract to start some 45% more than what I am paid now. The grant ran out and they needed my services so I agreed since my children are in school here. My unit is 50% under staffed doing many voluntary free hours. We are highly technical and skilled and have ROIs showing we save the State over a million dollars annually in the services we perform. When you want to cut the pension most do not realize it is also the pension of City workers, County workers, Teachers, Fire Fighters and Law enforcement everywhere in the State. The fund is not just State workers. Legislature cuts our earnings every single year, we are the lowest paid workers of all the States combined and the ones on the hill in Tally do a "special session" and get extra pay.. voila they just got a payraise. We are bleeding enough cut something like the FCAT that is a high cost waste of time.
  • by Figures on Feb 3, 2011 at 02:44 PM
    This guy can't even speak coherently. I've seen a few of his public talks and he can't complete a sentence without fumbling all over the place. Guess he got good practice from all his previous "official court proceedings". "Uhhh, mmmmm, I don't recall".
  • by watcher Location: nearby on Feb 3, 2011 at 02:00 PM
    I was not contacted for my vote either, but NO - I don`t think Scott is doing anything good for citizens but is planning a winfall for business at citizens` expense and loss (just like any Repbublican does).
  • by Concerned Location: Tallahassee on Feb 3, 2011 at 01:46 PM
    State workers are paid less than the private sector to prevent competetion. They're compensation is not having to pay in to the retirement system. We have the lowest ratio of state worker to citizen, state worker pay is like 49th in the nation, what more can you ask for? The retirement system is fully funded and any loss over the last couple of years was due to the poor performance of the stock market due to the housing bubble.
  • by Billo on Feb 3, 2011 at 12:55 PM
    Nate...do everyone a favor and get off your soap box. When you come off like an ignoramus your preaching goes in one ear and out the other. Instead of blaming Bush and others, why don't you come up with an original thought of your own. Until then read a book, educate yourself, and take some responsibility for your life and your actions.
  • by GV Location: Ga on Feb 3, 2011 at 11:02 AM
    Anonymous,wrong.I haven't ever said anything about whether I approve of rick scott or not.I have only commented on some of the things he is trying to do,but so far I haven't seen anything I didn't like.So where do you get that from?Most of the things I comment about having to do with him are things about stae workers being lazy and should pay into their own pensions,and unemployed people should pass drug tests,and him not starting to implement the healthcare law,so can you name one subject that I would have disagreed with?
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 115158769 - wctv.tv/a?a=115158769