Scott's New Budget Causing Concern

By: Whitney Ray Email
By: Whitney Ray Email

From a Tea Party rally to the state capitol, Governor Rick Scott spent Monday explaining his bold spending plan.

Rick Scott, Florida's governor, says, "This is designed to reduce state spending, lower taxes and hold government accountable."

Scott wants to limit state spending to 65 billion dollars… that's nearly a five billion cut. It includes 2.6 billion in spending reductions and two billion in tax cuts divided among corporations and homeowners.

It also includes eliminating 8600 state jobs.

"We are going to build private sector jobs. You create jobs by giving you the taxpayer more of your money by giving you the employer who wants to create a job some of your money back."

The biggest proposed cut is to education. Schools would receive three billion fewer dollars than they did a year ago, when federal stimulus dollars beefed up their budgets. But not every office, agency and department would get scaled back.

Scott wants to increase the budget for his office by about 350 million dollars and add 91 positions. According to Scott's budget proposal his office would grow but it will also take on more responsibility. Progress Florida is just one of dozens of groups concerned about the spending cuts.

Damien Filer of Progress Florida says, "This budget is an attack on everyone in this state who uses public roads, who has a child in public schools, who has a mother or father or grandfather or grandmother who may be needing senior services."

Objectors will now take their cases to the legislature, where the real work begins.

• by Anonymous on Feb 10, 2011 at 06:29 AM
    Airborne - pull that stick out of your rear. You are one disgruntled person.
  • by Airborne on Feb 9, 2011 at 10:51 PM
    Just me: I worked for two years for the state. I left the state job in total disgust. I enjoyed watching state coworkers falling asleep at their desks and doing everything but their work. You can go right now to the private sector and make twice the pay but you aren't? I agree with cutting at the top though, as well as the bottom. I'm not impressed with 60 hours a week as I work about 90, being a business owner. I've had to deal with state government employees committing fraud, lying, committing forgery, and just simple incompetence. Last week I called one agency and got three different answers to the same question. Then I drive home and watch government employees blowing leaves off the side of the road as I'm wondering how to pay my huge City of Tallahassee power bill this month after paying my huge property tax bill. I am so fed up that I don't buy anything in Tallahassee. I go to Thomasville. My goal is to be out of here by summer. I am done. Watch the brain drain.
  • by Just Me on Feb 9, 2011 at 07:27 PM
    Airborne:My "attitude" comes from too many years of working 60 plus hours a week just to listen to people who have no clue as to what needs to be done telling me I need to do more. You want to cut waste and jobs start at the top. I wish all of these lawmakers would work like the majority of us state workers do for just two weeks. Then they can see how much we do. And just to let you know, I can go right now to the private sector and get twice the pay.
  • by airborne on Feb 9, 2011 at 01:56 PM
    Just me-Nice attitude. Maybe you should work somewhere else. Try private companies, see how long you last with your attitude.
  • by Waiting on Feb 9, 2011 at 05:33 AM
    If you want to cut waste, why not dig, find out where the truth and waste is and start with top heavy management, administrators, directors. A DOT Asst. Secretary who for the last 2-3 YEARS has lived in South Fla. commutes to Tally on Monday utilizes a state vehicle, state gas, lives in a hotel in Tally during the week on your tax dollars and then goes home on Thursday! Check the paper trail. Look for real waste before laying off hard working, low paid employees who work circles around "management" then they get treated like second hand citizens. Wake Up! If you work in state government you've taken on a least two jobs since the last governor, with no pay yet Mr. Scott wants to lay you off, cut your salary, cut benefits! Who, Mr. Scott, do you think will do the work once you've laid off the workforce? The day to day work still has to be done and you and your so called political group don't have a CLUE.
  • by Lilly Location: Tallahassee on Feb 9, 2011 at 05:08 AM
    To Tallahassee Lassie: Northwood Mall closed up a long time ago; it's now state office space. Tallahassee Mall is the one in danger of losing its shirt.
  • by Just Me Location: Tallahassee on Feb 8, 2011 at 07:05 PM
    I want to thank everyone who voted Scott in. I also want to put ALL local businesses on notice that I will not be spending money anytime soon unless it is for food or essentials. I can no longer afford to spend for anything else. I would also like to put the entire state on notice that we state workers are tired of being called names and being talked bad about. WE pay taxes just like everyone else, so stop using that as an excuse to badmouth us. News flash:when there is a natural disaster WE(state workers) are the ones who VOLUNTEER to help pick up the pieces. We will only take being crapped on for so long before we finally say enough and tell you to take care of yourselves. So thank you again.
  • by Murphy Location: Florida on Feb 8, 2011 at 06:37 PM
    If you lay people off and then privatize their jobs, you have to pay the company that you choose to do the work. When medical was private with the Dept. of Corr., the employees made $12 per hour, but the company charged the state $24 per hour, so whose pockets is the extra money going into Governor?? Could it be yours or some of your cronies that own some of these private companies that you are so fond of talking about?
  • by Anon Location: FL on Feb 8, 2011 at 04:34 PM
    With the cuts he plans, there will be more people losing their homes. There will be more going below the poverty line. This guy is out of touch with reality.
  • by tax to death Location: ga on Feb 8, 2011 at 03:02 PM
    killerkitty--well i sure fell sorry for the other 44. they must really have it hard.but hang in there florida i am sure taxes are on the up swing. and that goes for all 50 states.it just makes me sick and sad that if you have a nise home that every 12 months you got to give a lousy god playing government $5000. it makes me mad to hear about all the people that has had the rug pulled out from under them and lost their homes and familes across this country. i just worry about the future.
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 115537079 - wctv.tv/a?a=115537079