Scott’s Take on Elections Bill

By: Capitol News Email
By: Capitol News Email

Tallahassee, FL -- April 22, 2011 --

Last night the House passed an elections bill many Democrats and voter groups say will cut down on voter participation. The Senate is scheduled to take it up next week. The Senate’s version is expected to shorten early voting by a week. Traditionally more Democrats vote early than Republicans. Republican Governor Rick Scott says some changes are needed to ensure the integrity of Florida elections, but he’s not for any measure that would curb voter turnout.

The bill would also force people to cast a provisional ballot if they update their voter registration information on Election Day. In 2010, just half the provisional ballots cast were counted.

• by RetiredMarine Location: Tallahassee on Apr 25, 2011 at 06:15 AM
    Early voting shouldn't be allowed period and absentee ballots should only be authorized for those in military or naval service. And changes should not be allowed period on the day of voting. If your that irresponsible, stay home....
  • by Uncle Sam on Apr 23, 2011 at 01:37 PM
    Face it - this is a republican move to limit voting by poor people who are too stupid to manage to vote on time. Republicans take care of their own by plying their voters with plenty of money to vote for them, thus giving their stupid ones plenty of incentive to vote on time. Any way you look at it, money wins out - every time. That's our shameful political system - $$$$$$$$$ means everything. Just ask Scottie.
      by RetiredMarine on Apr 25, 2011 at 06:18 AM in reply to Uncle Sam
      Funny, it was ACORN that was caught paying cash for votes. If I remember right that was a liberal left endeavour. I wish the Republicans would pay for my vote. Just think, doing the right thing and getting compensated for it. Nice concept....
  • by if Location: nf on Apr 23, 2011 at 10:55 AM
    if-mike and tia are moving maybe they will take alot of folks with them.this will free up space and make for shorter lines, we want need as much time to vote and a lot less mistakes will be made.
  • by Jim Location: Madison on Apr 22, 2011 at 07:15 PM
    How much time do you need to vote. One week of early voting should allow anyone who needs has a reason to vote early. We also have absentee voting. Why wait until the last minute to change your name or address. Try that at the ticket counter the next time you fly. Being old and retired I guess I should ask for six months or a year to vote early to make sure my vote counts incase I'm not still walking on top of the ground.
      by Voter on Apr 23, 2011 at 06:28 PM in reply to Jim
      I agree about not letting people change their address the day they are voting. That should be done when they move. I do prefer for early voting to be extended or at least have it on weekends/evenings because it is very difficult to get away from work and I don't trust the "absentee" ballot to actually get counted. They have a way of getting lost.
  • by Mike Location: Tallahassee on Apr 22, 2011 at 03:09 PM
    Glad I'm finally getting out of Florida. Votes here are become more worthless every day. It's a shame Florida gets so many electoral college votes and they will now be backed by less voters per vote. That's government of the people, by the people, and for the people? A government that's willing to tell its contituency that their vote doesn't count because their address needs to be corrected at the polling station? That's a government I want no part of.
      by Tia on Apr 22, 2011 at 06:02 PM in reply to Mike
      Mike, I agree with you. I am leaving this place myself.
        by Jim on Apr 23, 2011 at 12:47 PM in reply to Tia
        When you move, you usually submit change of address info with a number of organizations. One of these is the supervisor of elections. A current address determines what offices you are eligible to vote for. If you don't change your registration within the time limit, absent some extraordinary circumstance (which "I forgot" is not), your ballot should be provisional, and, if you do not meet residency requirements, tossed.
          by anonymous on Apr 25, 2011 at 09:48 AM in reply to Jim
          Mike and Tia: Good luck in another State because the grass is always greener on the other side until you get there. Don't forget to go to the Department of Motor Vehicles because you only have a certain number of days to acquire a new license and if you are just moving to another address you have ten days in Florida to get a replacement license.
  • by yeah Scott Location: tally on Apr 22, 2011 at 03:00 PM
    You aint giving them enough time to arrange the free lunches and bus rides to the polling place....
      by Tia on Apr 22, 2011 at 06:00 PM in reply to yeah Scott
      THEM WHO? Are you talking about, Black and brown people? I see more white dirty men and sometimes dirty white women on our street corners holding signs begging for money than I do black people, and on top of that, half of them can't spell. However, I do give money or buy food and give it to them. My beleif is, you never know if someday you could be in the same situation. Their shoes could fit my shoe size and it doesn't matter if you are black, brown or white. I guess you can call me a LIBERAL. I am proud to be one!!!!
        by Fred on Apr 23, 2011 at 09:52 AM in reply to Tia
        Yeah, that's because it's harder for whites to get welfare! Blacks have an inside track to anything that's free. Ya'll really know how to abuse the system.
        by JustMe on Apr 25, 2011 at 06:21 AM in reply to Tia
        They are the ones who miss the subsidized housing and subsistence provided to minorities. The curse of being white in America...
        by Reagan Republican on Apr 25, 2011 at 11:41 PM in reply to Tia
        in reply to Tia: Please do not give money to the person with the sign on the side of the road. There have been many studies done that show the sign holder can make more money per hour begging than getting a job. They need rehab for drug and alcohol addiction or counselling. You can give him/her ALL of your money and he/she will not change with that type of "help." It only makes YOU "feel" good. How about donate to the Boys and Girls club or organizations for abused women or something along those lines. The Republican philosophy is to give a person a fish and then teach him/her how to fish. They will be a lot happier when they can fish on their own and will have self respect again. I am NO LIBERAL and proud to be the opposite!!
  • by Drinky Crow on Apr 22, 2011 at 02:56 PM
    As an avowed critic of Mr. Scott, I can also say "well done" when deserved. However, actions speak louder than words, so let's see if he vetoes this piece of...legislation.
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 120513384 - wctv.tv/a?a=120513384