[UPDATE] Serious Accident on I-10 Causes Vehicle to Flip

By: Eyewitness News Team, Danielle sommerfeld Email
By: Eyewitness News Team, Danielle sommerfeld Email

[UPDATE] 5-23 7:10am -

WCTV contacted the Florida Highway Patrol about the accident, but they had no further updates as of 7am.

____________________________

(UPDATE) 5/22 10:20p.m. By: Danielle Sommerfeld

A crash on I-10 leaves four people injured and one of them in serious condition.

The Florida Highway Patrol says the crash happened around 4:30 this afternoon and shut down the west bound traffic of I-10 for about 30 minutes.

FHP says, a juvenile was driving a Chevy Sedan when it began moving into the left lane and flipped about one and a half times.
The cause for the car to flip is still unknown.

A woman with serious injuries was airlifted from the scene to Tallahassee Memorial Hospital.

______________________________________________________

Florida Highway Patrol says that there has been a single vehicle accident on I-10 Westbound.

The accident occurred earlier Sunday afternoon, around mile marker 248 in Madison County. The vehicle was said to be moving into the left lane when something caused it to flip.

Four people were in the car. All four are injured, but one is in serious condition and being life flighted to Tallahassee Memorial Hospital. I-10 Westbound was temporarily closed for the helicopter to land.

Our team is on the scene and we will bring you more information as it becomes available.

• by Mike on May 24, 2011 at 09:36 AM
    A tire falling off can happen. I had front struts replaced on a vehicle and the mecanic over tightened the lug nuts causing stress on the studs. the studs broke a few days later while I was driving and I watched my tire go rolling threw an empty parking lot. fortunately I was only going 35 M.P.H and was able to control my vehicle.
  • by jerry Location: fl on May 23, 2011 at 08:45 PM
    i am so tired of the idiot drivers indangering my life. take them off the roads.
      by Tom on May 24, 2011 at 04:39 AM in reply to jerry
      When do you plan to turhn in your driver's license???
        by jerry on May 24, 2011 at 05:45 AM in reply to Tom
        the day after you turn in yours
  • by Truckin Location: Gainesville on May 23, 2011 at 12:14 PM
    I unfortunately saw this happen as I was driving Eastbound on I-10 heading. Their car made two sharp turns before it overcorrected and headed into the median, catching and flipping. Landed on it's passenger side closer to the Eastbound lanes than the West. Very scary to have that stop 20 yards in front of your truck - but as scary as it was, very proud to be an American and see the 10-15 people who pulled over, stopped traffic, and ran to try and help.
  • by Gearhead Location: Ga on May 23, 2011 at 12:13 PM
    Sounds like a wheel came off and flipped the car. That would be only thing that would flip if it did not hit anything. Wheel comes off, car rides up on wheel and it flips. That or a tire blew, but usually that will not flip a car, just an SUV.
  • by Ima on May 23, 2011 at 11:51 AM
    "Juvenile" just means under 18. It's perfectly legal for a 16 or 17 year-old with a license to drive on the interstate.
  • by Underage? on May 23, 2011 at 11:27 AM
    Where does it say underaged? It says juvenile which is typically someone under 21. A minor. They could have had a learner's permit or a driver's license.
      by Yep on May 23, 2011 at 01:23 PM in reply to Underage?
      Exactly. People jump to conclusions way too often.
  • by Unknown Location: Tallahassee on May 23, 2011 at 10:25 AM
    Who in the world would let an underage person drive a vehicle and on the Interstate. Very serious offense and the adult that allow this should be questioned.
  • by Angel on May 23, 2011 at 09:34 AM
    Prayers go out to everyone involved here.
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 122419474 - wctv.tv/a?a=122419474