Seven Deadly Fires in Gadsden County in Six Months

By: La'Tasha Givens Email
By: La'Tasha Givens Email

The sound of fire trucks has become all too common in Gadsden County. In fact the state fire marshals office says in the past six months seven people have died due to fires.

"Causes of these fires can range anywhere from bad electrical wiring to unattended cooking. In some cases improper maintenance of heating equipment, was a problem," says, Quincy fire chief Howard Smith.

Firefighters say malfunctioning chimneys and various kinds of space heaters topped the list as culprits. In addition to the deadly fires, Chief Smith says there have been at least 46 structure blazes where people where not harmed.

Officials are taking proactive measures to keep residents safe.

We followed Captain Scott Haire with the Gadsden County Fire Department as he inspected a daycare center for fire safety. "We inspect every business twice a year," says Haire.

Haire says, "Having smoke detectors and a fire extinguisher is the best line of defense because occupants have time to respond to a fire and potentially stop it before it spreads."

Gadsden County offers a host of free resources like:
-Smoke detectors and fire extinguishers
-Home inspections
-Fire escape plans
-Safety tips for kids

Gadsden County residents can request some of those free fire safety resources at 850-875-7320.

• by C-place on Jan 11, 2011 at 01:17 PM
    my business was checked 1 time in 2010, 1 time in 2009 and 0 in 2008 .. The 2 times a year is not right ,,for my business..
  • by Business Owner Location: Quincy on Jan 11, 2011 at 10:45 AM
    I own a business in Quincy and have for the last 20 years. Every year the Fire Dept comes out and inspects my business. If I have violations, then they will come out and reinspect my business to assure that the corrections were made. I am extremely thankful for the Fire Dept here. They are a class act and are extremely helpful in the fire codes and fire safety.
  • by Stop downing our fire fighters. on Jan 11, 2011 at 10:42 AM
    Business Owner, who cares. They are civil servants, that have dedicated their lives to protecting you and your business and all you can do is attack their character and call them liars. You need to worry about you and yours. Nobody owes you anything. You should check "your own stuff". What do you want us to give you a gold medal for being accountable for your self. You should be. Nobody in this world owes you anything. The sooner you realize that the happier you will be. You are only a victim here if you choose to be a victime
  • by Anonymous Location: Quincy on Jan 11, 2011 at 10:17 AM
    The fire department will give you free smoke dectors if you ask for them. How is the fire department suppose to know that you need one if you do not ask.
  • by store owner on Jan 11, 2011 at 09:23 AM
    I also have a business that does not get inspected 2 times a year ,,but that is ok ,,I check my own stuff and see that it is safe for the public..
  • by business owner on Jan 11, 2011 at 09:22 AM
    to ---we are broke ,,I do look out for my business and see that it is safe in always possible..my point was to the lie they told about inspecting business 2 times a year ..when they do not inspect all business.. I know business in this city that have not been inspected in 3-4 years ..BUT they gey on the new and say they inspect them 2 times a year ,,is a LIE .
  • by a mama on Jan 11, 2011 at 06:37 AM
    Honestly, I feel like it's arson and not electrical. Something just sounds really fishy with all of these cases. 7 people dying in 6 months, the same county and for the same reason?? I don't know about this one. All of you need to seriously be careful. My heart goes out to all of the families for their loss. And to all of you speaking about the cost, some people don't have the money for it and we all should be thankful they are getting the help and safety they need.
  • by Quincy Resident Location: Quincy on Jan 11, 2011 at 05:42 AM
    Why should the Fire Department HAVE to provide you with a smoke detector and a carbon monoxide detector? Is it not your responsibility as an adult to provide the immediate safeguards needed to protect yourself? I guess it should be the Police Departments resposibility to provide you with a burglary alarm too, and the Utility Department should provide you with a generator and gas to run it. I agree the fire department should do more to educate the public but to say they NEED to provide the equipment is rediculous! Take responsibility for your own safety. A smoke detector is only $10..batteries changed out twice a year $2...your life...PRICELESS!!! Quit waiting for the handouts!
  • by Own you own faults on Jan 11, 2011 at 04:58 AM
    Quincy resident, take responsibility for your own personal safety and stop looking for someone else to do it for you. A smoke detector is 5.99, if your landlord will not buy it. You buy it. Not every thing has to be about you being a victim of somebody else neglect. Here is a concept that will give you piece in life, you are responsible for you. Nobody else is responsible for your safety but you. Stop relying on other people, rely on yourself you will be happier and safer.
  • by We are broke on Jan 11, 2011 at 04:53 AM
    To Business owner, You all need to stop attacking our fire department and EMS workers. Take some responsibility for your selves. If your business has not been inspected and you feel it needs to be then pay someone to handle it and stop coming to me the tax payer looking for a handout to support your own business.
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 113239949 - wctv.tv/a?a=113239949