The sound of fire trucks has become all too common in Gadsden County. In fact the state fire marshals office says in the past six months seven people have died due to fires.
"Causes of these fires can range anywhere from bad electrical wiring to unattended cooking. In some cases improper maintenance of heating equipment, was a problem," says, Quincy fire chief Howard Smith.
Firefighters say malfunctioning chimneys and various kinds of space heaters topped the list as culprits. In addition to the deadly fires, Chief Smith says there have been at least 46 structure blazes where people where not harmed.
Officials are taking proactive measures to keep residents safe.
We followed Captain Scott Haire with the Gadsden County Fire Department as he inspected a daycare center for fire safety. "We inspect every business twice a year," says Haire.
Haire says, "Having smoke detectors and a fire extinguisher is the best line of defense because occupants have time to respond to a fire and potentially stop it before it spreads."
Gadsden County offers a host of free resources like:
-Smoke detectors and fire extinguishers
-Fire escape plans
-Safety tips for kids
Gadsden County residents can request some of those free fire safety resources at 850-875-7320.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.