Fla. H.S. Student Says He Stole TVs to Help Pay for Prom

By: AP
By: AP

GAINESVILLE, Fla. (AP) -- April 7, 2011 -

A high school senior looking for money to help with prom expenses wound up in jail instead.

Alachua County Sheriff's officials say witnesses called
authorities Tuesday after spotting the teen wheeling a large trash
can containing two flat-screen televisions in the Celebration Oaks
neighborhood. Deputies arrested 19-year-old Anton Lamar Williams,
who now faces charges of grand theft, burglary and criminal
mischief.

Deputy Ricky Robinson says the Eastside High School senior
confessed to breaking a window to break in and take the
televisions.

Williams remained in the Alachua County Jail early Thursday. No
lawyer was listed for him.

• by Senior MOM Location: Tallahassee on Apr 8, 2011 at 08:27 AM
    I do not get handouts rather I provide a helpful hand! Moron! Since Education and healthcare are a privledge then what are you going to do when your dumb ... gets sick? Clearly your must not be one of the privledged or you wouldnt be so stupid!
  • by Senior MOM Location: Tallahassee on Apr 8, 2011 at 07:43 AM
    B: You are the idiot! You are probally a Stupid, Spoiled Republican that thinks that only people that are dressed well when they rob others are justified in doing so! I in no way feel that this young man should have stolen from anyone I just simply feel sadden to see that so many children are struggleing right now because of our horrible economy! Im sorry but there are enough idiots on this message board to go around! ie. John M who said " Getting a education is a Privledge not a Right" ARE YOU SERIOUS! So basically what you are saying is only the people born PRIVLEDGED should get an education and not just because you are born in America with RIGHTS! IDIOT Lord help me you are probally one of those dummies that always says I have the RIGHT to_____blah blah but yet you dont' feel others have the same!UGGG
  • by HMA on Apr 7, 2011 at 08:40 PM
    This poor young man is obviously a victim of poverty. He should be set free with apoligies from those who violated his rights to attend prom. The gov't needs to fund a program to provide propper attire, fine food and a limo to those unfortunate souls who cannot afford the luxuries of the affluent. Everyone should be able to afford any luxury they want, regardless of their intelligence, work ethic or ability.
  • by Lisa on Apr 7, 2011 at 07:23 PM
    Someone should have let him know that proms aren't anything special. Surely not so great that you'd risk a few years in prison. Stupid, stupid, stupid.
  • by B Location: Tallahassee on Apr 7, 2011 at 05:08 PM
    Senior Mom: You are an idiot.
  • by John M Location: Tallahassee on Apr 7, 2011 at 04:16 PM
    Well everyone. I have good news. I just examined the attendance at the Department of Corrections and it turns out they will not only pay for his transportation, meals, and housing, they will also furnish him with a nice blue prom dress. Getting an education is a PRIVILEGE not a right. Going to prom is a social activity nothing more. If he is a high school senior then he is aware of the Castle Doctrine or " Stand your Ground Law" . Should he desire to steal from my family belongings he would prefer prison. The 19 year old adult deserves prison. HE can perform " community service " in Pod D after the guards count.
  • by Anonymous on Apr 7, 2011 at 02:43 PM
    Well, we are talking about a 19 year old senior. Not the brightest crayon in the box...obviously.
  • by Anonymous on Apr 7, 2011 at 01:11 PM
    Agreed! It is not requirement to get a diploma nor is it a privledge for the Elite! I could name many Seniors that were able to attend prom this year that not only didn't deserve it but didn't earn it either! The difference is their parents made it happen and believed they should attend regardless to efforts. I would bet money this parent sat back and told their child I dont care if you attend but you better figure out any means you can to pay for it! I have seen these type of situations in many places!
  • by The Taxpay Yours Location: TallaHaHaHaHasee on Apr 7, 2011 at 12:33 PM
    Ha, they didn't mention that his prom date was well pleased with my long and hard my process. But this will give the State legislature a reason to stumble down to the Capitol and create a law requring the Taxpay Yours to provide money to high school seniors for their proms.
  • by John M Location: Tallahassee on Apr 7, 2011 at 12:11 PM
    Going to a prom is not required to get a diploma. Stealing is not in this years curriculum at least the last time I checked. The child is working on a diploma in Grand Theft. Five years in prison. HE can be the prom queen there.
      by Senior Mom on Apr 7, 2011 at 01:15 PM in reply to John M
      Funny! Not much different the those that BUY THEM! I am a True Seminole but you can believe there are just as many bought degrees at that school as there are earned! Sounds like theft to me!!
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 119403849 - wctv.tv/a?a=119403849