WCTV | Tallahassee, Thomasville, Valdosta | News, Weather, Sports

VIDEO: TFD Responds to Late Night House Fire on Lake Palm Drive

By: Eyewitness News; Red Cross Release Email
By: Eyewitness News; Red Cross Release Email

Tallahassee, Florida - August 16, 2012

The American Red Cross Capital Area Chapter responded to a fire on Lake Palm Drive last night. Living at the residence was a single parent who is a full time FAMU student and her 3 year old daughter.

Red Cross provided emergency assistance with hotel lodging for three nights, food and clothing totaling more than $500 in emergency assistance at the scene of the fire.

“I am glad that we were able to help a local student during a devastating time in their life” said Dan Samborn, CEO for the American Red Cross Capital Area Chapter.

The mother will work with a Red Cross caseworker to help with other critical needs as a result of the fire.

###

People can help by making a donation to support American Red Cross Disaster Relief. Consider making a donation today by visiting www.redcross.org, calling 850-878-6080 The Capital Area Chapter is accepting donations on their website: www.tallyredcross.org. Contributions may also be sent to your local Red Cross chapter, 1115 Easterwood Drive, Tallahassee, FL 32311. Contributions enable the Red Cross to prepare for and provide shelter, food, emotional support and other assistance in response to disasters.

_____________________________________________________

Tallahassee, Florida - August 16, 2012

At around 12:30 am, Tallahassee firefighters from Stations 3, 1 and 4 responded to a single story house fire in the 2700 Block of Lake Palm Drive. The fire was called in by the occupant who was cooking when the fire broke out. The mother and her daughter were able to safely evacuate the home prior to the arrival of TFD. Firefighters reported heavy fire on arrival and quickly extinguished the fire that burned more than 75% of the home as well as damaged a car parked in the car port. No injuries were reported at the scene and damages were estimated at $40,000. The cause of the fire was accidental and believed to be a result of the stove top being left on. The Red Cross was called out to assist the displaced family of two. The Tallahassee Police Department and City Utilities also assisted at the scene.

Cooking fires are the most preventable of all fires in the home and when residents adopt safe measures they can be completely eliminated. Loose fitting clothing such as bath robes should never be worn during cooking, always “watch what you heat” and ensure
that all cooking equipment is turned off before walking away.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WCTV 1801 Halstead Blvd. Tallahassee, FL 32309
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 166390846 - wctv.tv/a?a=166390846