[UPDATE] TPD Investigates Death Off Kerry Forest Parkway

By: TPD Release
By: TPD Release

[UPDATE] 2-21 11:10am --

The Tallahassee Police Department has positively identified the deceased as Jeffery H Mertz, dob 8/31/60. Mertz's body was found near a holding pond in the 2900 block of Kerry Forrest Parkway in a wooded area.

TPD has notified his next of kin.

Foul play is not suspected.

______________________________________

Yesterday, Feb. 17, at approximately 5:47PM, the Tallahassee Police responded to a report of a decomposed body near a holding pond in the 2900 block of Kerry Forrest Parkway in a wooded area. The body appears to be that of an unknown white male between the ages of 40 and 60. The body was found by a citizen, who was looking for a friend near the area.

Due to the advanced decomposition of the body, the cause of death and the identity of the deceased have not been confirmed. There were no signs of foul play.

Deceased:

White Male, 40-60 years old.

• by Kim Location: Tally on Feb 23, 2011 at 09:13 AM
    I agree with Yep88......100 percent! A lot of us out here are not the snobby stuck up people others claim us to be. Neither are our children. You should take a drive out this way. Drive down Kerry Forest and see where you might add a spray field or dump. You won't find the space for it.
  • by Anonymous Location: Tallahassee on Feb 22, 2011 at 07:11 PM
    I live in Bull Run and it makes me sad for the person who lost his life while I was going about living my life so close to where his body was. I imagine he might have died that night the temperatures got down into the teens. Not having a TV, he wouldn't have known how cold it was going to be after all this is Florida, right? I remember a weekend ago my daughter was in a panic to bring the dog in the house while carrying him in her arms because there were very large birds with a very large wing span that were flying low over our neighborhood. In retrospect, now I know it wasn't the dog the bird was alerting to. What a tragedy that could have been prevented if someone could have shown him to the nearest homeless shelter or told him it was too cold to attempt to sleep outside on that night.
  • by yep88 Location: tally on Feb 22, 2011 at 10:21 AM
    Defensive is correct. I'm defending my point. Where does federal come into play? I said 85% the remaining 15% was not mentioned. When that spray field, or that solid waste site was in the makings did you fight against it? Did you go to city hall and agrue and speak out? Did you give money to fight against anything? Did you do anything? Do you know what physical manifestation is? You used the term in the wrong context. I'm not the least bit rich. I make ends meet. I hate the stuck up families, with their spoiled rotten kids, they're worthless and don't know the meaning of hard work. People around here can't drive, it drives me insane. If I were in your shoes ETurnage, just like you, I would hate the waste fields, but if you really do hate them why would just want to move them some where else? You chose to live there, here in this town, if you don't like it speak up publically. If not, shut up or leave. THE END. I'm not wasting any more of my time.
  • by ETurnage Location: Tallahassee on Feb 22, 2011 at 09:33 AM
    Defensive, defensive. I suppose no trees grow in the remainder of the county. Maybe there is a prohibition on having a green zone in any other area? Those concepts are just physical manifestations of a community divided along social and economic grounds, with our local government giving preference to the rich. As for property ownership,did you miss anyone other than Federal? Who do you think owns property in the remaining portions of the County besides those you mentioned? Idiot...
  • by helpyourself Location: tally on Feb 22, 2011 at 09:25 AM
    Well I don't know about anyone else, but the people I personally know who live on the northeast do all feel like it's Golden Eagle and that they somehow are better people than those of us who don't live there. Either way, I would never live up there for the traffic alone, you guys have a six lane highway, three interstate ramps and oodles of roundabouts wierd traffic patterns etc, and you still can't drive worth a darn. Yes the schools are better, but I grew up in some of the schools on the northeast side of town, and believe it or not, your kids do look down on those who may not be as financially able. Where do you think they got that attitude?
  • by yep88 Location: tally on Feb 22, 2011 at 08:22 AM
    ETurnage, I do actually agree with you on intelligent and educated being different. And you are neither. Commercial development on Kerry Forest? There's no room for commercial development on Kerry Forest. I think it's something like 85% of the woodland, and open land on the NE side is either state/city/county park, or private property. Sorry we don't want to tear down trees, and till up the land for industry. I'm not a tree hugger, but I love our back roads, woodlands, and open fields. No, I don't want to see commercial development at the cost of the natural land. I don't know about a spray field on Tram, but I do know about the solid waste site on Gum Rd. do I like either one? No. Don't just assume that just because all the waste sites are on a certain side that everyone on the other side is selfish. In fact, it's good to keep waste centralized to one side. Who wants to live in a city with trash sites every where?
  • by ETuirnage Location: Tallahassee on Feb 22, 2011 at 12:37 AM
    What I don't like is that all of the distasteful enterprise and infrastructure has been pushed to the west and south sides. This by lobbiest, lawyers, and politicians that are bought and paid for by you guessed it, the nice lovely people in northeast Tally. We have you to thank for a household garbage site on Gum Road. A spray field on Tram. The majority of you fought any commercial development at Kerry Forest.So tell me again that your not selfish or hung up on how much privacy you can buy... I love to hear the lies.....
  • by ETurnage Location: Tallahassee on Feb 21, 2011 at 09:00 PM
    yep88, I am smart. I take it your educated? Don't ever make the mistake of assuming that being intelligent and educated are one and the same. I've spent a great deal of my life keeping educated idiots out of trouble....I'll inform any transients that I see of the friendly nature, safety, genorosity and amenities that your little piece of heaven affords.
  • by Kim Location: Tally on Feb 21, 2011 at 08:50 PM
    @ anon ... Your Welcome! @ ETurnage ....WHAT?? Please give an example of someone on the NE side saying they are better than you. I lived in an area with college students and homeless people. I worked hard and saved my pennies. I now live in an area where I no longer have to deal with late night parties and homeless people sleeping in my bushes and asking me for beer money when my car wakes them up. This does NOT make me small minded,or give me ideas of being better than anyone. I still live ,work and play in the same city. I still SEE what is going on around me. The NE side is not always rainbow skies and roses in bloom. We all take care of our kids and go to work each and EVERY DAY just the same as most everyone else. I do agree with yep88 , I expect more from this neighborhood because I do pay association fees.
  • by Kim Location: Tally on Feb 21, 2011 at 08:14 PM
    If you are my neighbor, co worker etc. I would say all of these things to your face had you made the previous remarks to mine. Regardless of the nasty comments. I am truly sorry this man died alone in the woods. That is what this story is about. However, there is a reason why we have shelters and that is so that the homeless do not have to sleep in the woods.
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 116488763 - wctv.tv/a?a=116488763