In an effort to stop crime before it happens, the Tallahassee Police Department reminds everyone to lock doors and windows and to avoid leaving valuable items in your vehicle. By following a few precautions and by being proactive, citizens can help prevent theft.
TPD reminds everyone:
* When at home, make sure all exterior doors and windows are properly closed and locked.
* If you are leaving your home for an extended period of time, stop your mail or paper, and make sure interior lights and electronics are on timers.
* Park your vehicle in a well-lit area.
* Don't leave purses or wallets in your vehicle.
* Don't leave empty boxes of valuables received from presents during the holidays. Break the boxes down and throw them in the trash can.
* VALUABLES LEFT IN PLAIN VIEW ONLY ENTICES BURGLARS.
* Contact the Tallahassee Police Department and request extra protection for your home while you are out of town. The request can be taken over the phone by calling 891-4200 or by e-mail via http://www.talgov.com/tpd/property_check.cfm.
Citizens can request a free residential security survey by contacting the Tallahassee Police Department's Community Relations Unit at 850-891-4251 or by email via firstname.lastname@example.org