Tallahassee, FL - The Tallahassee Police Department knows you probably need a well-deserved break from the daily grind of classes and homework, but don’t let criminals spoil your fun. Here are some suggestions that the Tallahassee Police Department’s Community Relations Unit provides to help keep you and your property safe during the college break:
• Make sure your home or apartment is left secure. Check all doors and windows to make sure they are closed and locked. Put interior lights and radios on timers.
• Remove all valuables from your car and park in a highly visible, lighted area. Don’t forget to lock your car.
• Consider using a self-storage facility for specialty items, such as expensive stereos and TV’s. Rent or purchase a high-security lock recommended by the facility.
• Have a trusted neighbor or friend check on your place and pick up mail and newspapers.
• Tell a friend or relative where you are going, when you will be back and how to reach you. Do not post this information on social networks such as Facebook or Twitter.
• Use an answering machine to take your calls. Check your messages from time to time.
• Have a mechanic service your car. Plan your route and keep a map, cell phone and extra cash on hand in case of an emergency. Don’t forget your cell phone battery charger.
• Allow yourself plenty of travel time. Don’t drive when you are tired or have been drinking.
• Be careful of what and how much your drink. Never lose control of your situation and surroundings. Don’t leave a bar alone or with a stranger-only go with friends.
The Tallahassee Police Department is pleased to offer a Extra Patrol/House/Business Check on your property during a vacation or any period of time you may be away from the premises. Simply visit the website at http://www.talgov.com/tpd/property_check.cfm. For more information call the Tallahassee Police Department’s Community Relations Unit at (850) 891-4251.