Tallahassee, Florida - April 1, 2011 -
Complete survey attached to in PowerPoint format above
Citizens speak out about Mayor Marks in a new TallahasseeVoices survey conducted April 1, 2011.
- 88% of voters believe Mayor Marks should be fined based on the favorable vote he cast in September on a project involving Alliance for Digital Equality.
- A plurality* of citizens (46%) believe that Mayor Marks should step down from office based on this issue.
*A plurality is the largest single response, yet it does not exceed 50%.
- Only 12% of citizens trust our local officials to act in all cases with integrity based on the fact that Mayor Marks, and commissioners DePuy, Proctor and Thaell have all faced ethics charges in the past few years.
Information given to citizens in the survey prior to the questions being presented:
- Under Florida Statute 112.313, it is illegal for public officials to work for any entity doing business with the agency or board on which they serve. Officials found guilty can be removed from office, fined, and reprimanded.
- On September 15, 2010, City of Tallahassee Mayor John Marks voted to allow the City’s participation in Broadband Technology Opportunity Program (BTOP). The project totaled $1.6 million with hundreds of thousands of these funds coming from Alliance for Digital Equality. From 2007 through October 2010, Mayor Marks was paid $86,000 by Alliance for Digital Equality and its sister organization, Partners for Digital Equality.
- Mayor Marks said, “Let me make this clear – I made a mistake. I should have abstained from the City Commission vote on September 15.” Marks added that his vote was “just an over exuberance, if you will” about the technology initiative.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or email@example.com.