Tallahassee Drivers Caught Distracted Driving

By: Amy long
By: Amy long

Phone calls, texting, reading, nail filling and eating, our cameras caught the bad habits of drivers at multiple intersections in Tallahassee.

AAA says distracted driving is one of the leading causes of accidents in Florida with millions of motorists making everything but driving their number one priority.

Jeff Savlov, a concerned driver says "People won't pull out, they get on the phone and they won't use their turn signals."

Kinjal Butala says "I was at a traffic signal light and it turned green, and I could literally see the guy next to me Facebooking because you could see the little blue app and the white back ground and I was like wow, that is funny".

But the statistics aren't so humorous. U.S. Department of Transportation reported in 2009. 5,500 people were killed in the United States and more than half a million injured all because the driver behind a wheel had something better to do."

The U.S. Department of Transportation PSA "Faces of Distracted Driving" features loved ones lost, trying to hit home with the message - but some say it will have to hit drivers wallets to work.

"Tickets and maybe public awareness like they did with the 'click-it' campaign. That seemed to have worked. The combination of encouragement and threat seemed to have worked." says Savlov.

A number of bills that relate to distracted driving are filed for the 2011 legislative session in Florida.

• by Anonymous on Apr 12, 2011 at 04:41 PM
    i bet if they make it a law no use of cell phones or texting while in use a operating vehicle. its frustrating when your paying complete attention to the road the person in front of you is not going the speed limit because he/she is on the phone. if they would start issuing tickets it would help the economy a whole lot. $50 bucks a pop. i am all for it my mom was a victim of a car accident involving a teenager dropping her phone while driving on I75 going 65-70 and hit my mom' bumper while passing. so please stop doing 2 things at once while driving..
  • by you know on Apr 12, 2011 at 03:00 PM
    Whats funny is the people this type of driving refers to, think it is everyone else who are driving bad, I saw one lady driving a stick shift, smoking and trying to talk on her cell phone, but what realy irks me are parents who have precious cargo and they still find it more important to talk on a phone or put on make-up... some people should just not be driving
  • by RJ on Apr 12, 2011 at 02:25 PM
    Thomasville Rd. between 730 and 800 is a case study in driver distraction.
  • by real lawyer Location: fl on Apr 12, 2011 at 10:14 AM
    hit me so i can sue you. I NEED THE MONEY.
      by Anonymous on Apr 12, 2011 at 01:56 PM in reply to real lawyer
      Me too! Hey, let's hit each other and we'll both be rich.
  • by DTH Location: Tallahassee on Apr 12, 2011 at 08:59 AM
    I would like to see Law Enforcement to be allowed to check the Drivers Cell Phone for Calls and Texts at the Time of the Crash. Just check the 10 Minutes before the 911 Call sould give all the needed info.
      by tina on Apr 12, 2011 at 10:12 AM in reply to DTH
      they can and do check some phone records after some crashes.
  • by DTH Location: Tallahassee on Apr 12, 2011 at 08:59 AM
      by tina on Apr 12, 2011 at 10:13 AM in reply to DTH
      they do.
      by Anonymous on Apr 12, 2011 at 05:46 PM in reply to DTH
      I THOUGHT THAT WOULD WORK AT FIRST BUT WHAT IF YOU ARE ON THE PHONE THEN HANG UP RIGHT BEFORE THE CRASH (country road- no cameras) THEN U CALL TO REPORT THE CRASH . WHO CAN DETERMIND WHAT MINUTE AND SECOND THE CRASH TOOK PLACE BEFORE OR AFTER THE CALL. SAME WITH TEXTING. W
  • by Cosmo Location: Tally on Apr 12, 2011 at 08:41 AM
    We don't need any more unenforceable laws for law enforcement to contend with. Mobile manufacturers should be required to add GPS to all mobile devices. They should include a trigger to disable the device when it is moving at greater than 10 mph.
      by dumb on Apr 12, 2011 at 12:41 PM in reply to Cosmo
      what about the passengers? they cant be on the phone either?
  • by Anonymous on Apr 12, 2011 at 08:13 AM
    We've all seen it. Laws will not protect me if a distracted driver hits me. My only option is to drive defensively and assume that all the other drivers around will do the stupidest thing. This way, I can protect myself and my family, because just having a law will not help once the accident has happened.
      by denise on Apr 12, 2011 at 08:05 PM in reply to
      Amen.
  • by A none e mouse on Apr 12, 2011 at 08:13 AM
    OMG! Hoo got cawt? idk my bff Jill?
  • by Jeff Location: TLH on Apr 12, 2011 at 07:28 AM
    I have a "high body" vehicle which permits me to see into smaller vehicles. Recently, I saw a young woman texting while holding the steering wheel between her knees! And, yes, her vehicle was in motion!
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 119671079 - wctv.tv/a?a=119671079