Tallahassee Job Fair Draws a Crowd

By: Candace Sweat Email
By: Candace Sweat Email

Raynard Jenifer graduated from Florida A & M University with a degree in communication. He wants to become a journalist, but for now it's a dream deferred. Which is why he attended the 11th annual Workforce Plus "Get Connected" Job fair.

"Because of the economy jobs aren't available so I'm currently stuck working m y part time job through school until I can find a job in my career," said Jenifer.

Nearly 2,000 people filled the Leon County Civic Center Tuesday morning with resumes and applications in hand hoping to land a job with one of more 90 employers. Organizers say even with the large crowd, their success rate is admirable and it is possible for people stand out and walk away with a job.

"We try to demonstrate that there is a multitude of industries that make up our community that are in a hiring posture," said Kimberly Moore, CEO for Workforce Plus.

Unemployment rates in the Leon, Wakulla, and Gadsden area hover around 8 percent. For the state of Florida, it's about 12 percent.

"Four or five years ago our unemployment rate would border around 3.5 to 4 percent, so yes we saw an increase on job seekers, but comparing that to employers we actually saw an increase of employers participating from last year. So far though, we've heard lots of positive interactions with interview being lined up," said Moore.

For those who happened to miss Tuesday's job fair but still need work, you can call Workforce Plus at 1-866-WFP-JOB1.

• by Anonymous on Jan 19, 2011 at 12:28 PM
    I was out of work for more than a year. I took a part time job and WOW 2 months later I finally got a full time job. I had little ones at home and unemployment wasnt paying the bills and putting food in their mouths. I didnt have help from family so I had no choice but to get a part time.
  • by Anonymous on Jan 19, 2011 at 10:14 AM
    Anonymous on Jan 19, 2011 at 11:23 AM It sounds like you have a full-time job. Many part-time jobs do not pay as well as full-time, and almost none have benefits of any kind. If you have a family, the full-time pay and benefits are essential. For single people maybe 2 part-time jobs would work out OK. But criticizing someone for needing full-time work is kind of lame.
  • by spouse with child Location: tallahassee on Jan 19, 2011 at 09:23 AM
    Here is something to think about when you run your pie hole about sitting butts at home. A part-time job is great, especially when you've been unemployed for two years or more. Heck even for a few months, however, when you have children that aren't in school yet and need child care. Working part-time isn't beneficial enough. You have to pay for child care and part-time work doesn't cut it to pay for child care. Unemployment pays you minimum wage at 40 hours/week rate. So, stay at home, get paid by UC and not have to pay child care. Do the figures and see what you would do.
  • by Anonymous on Jan 19, 2011 at 08:23 AM
    Why dont you stop complaining about it. In the economy a part time job is better than no job at all but the way it sounds you would rather sit on your butts at home then work part time.
  • by Billo Location: Tally on Jan 19, 2011 at 06:07 AM
    Although i didn't attend this particular job fair, I have found my past experience with them to be a waste. On paper these fairs sound great with numerous employers in one location, but in reality they have little to no openings, and the companies that have openings are part-time and/or out of state. I found the fair to be more of a marketing platform for companies, and less for the future work force.
  • by anon Location: Tallahassee on Jan 19, 2011 at 05:58 AM
    I concur with jobfair???ha. It was somewhat frustrating as a professional to go spend the time talking to a representative only to find out it was for a part time position. Workforce Plus possibly needs to look into broadening their scope. I went in there once and when it was evident that I was didn't need assistance with typing out my resume they informed me that their services weren't for "my type of workers" and that I didn't need to come in, I could do all the work from home. They gave me the Employ Florida website and sent me on my way. The job fair FSU hosts is far more beneficial for "my kind of workers".
  • by jobfair??? ha on Jan 19, 2011 at 05:07 AM
    The map that was passed out showed 91 possible employers. After walking through the crowds it was evident that about 1/3 of the possible employers didn't show. A good portion of booths set up for employers had people filling out applications. Bt on a good note if you were looking for a part time job, or looking to sign up for the armed services this was the place to be. From a professional stand point this just showed the lack of higher level jobs available in our are.
  • by Anonymous on Jan 18, 2011 at 09:18 PM
    no jobs for 53 yo
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 114168524 - wctv.tv/a?a=114168524