Tallahassee Mall For Sale

By: Jerry Askin Email
By: Jerry Askin Email

UPDATE 01-06-2010 at 5:45pm by Jerry Askin

What used to be a thriving local mall may soon be closing its doors because of foreclosure.

Vacant parking lots, quiet walkways, empty stores and just a few people in the food court is what you're likely to see when you visit the Tallahassee Mall. It's a far cry from what used to be a bustling business,and now the the mall is in foreclosure and up for public sale.

Mall shopper Gwendolyn Kirby says, "I've shopped in this mall my whole entire life and I'd really hate to see this mall close because it's a good place to shop and they have wonderful stores."

Sandra Carter, who also shops at the mall says, "I've come here for 20 years.. I'm surprised."

Carter is not the only shopper surprised to find out that foreclosure documents, filed in December, show that the mall is over 55 million dollars in debt.

Mall worker Lowandra Moore says, "It's not too many places to shop in Tallahassee, Florida anyway because it's a small city and I work here. People will be unemployed in this facility."

Moore say the news of the business possibly closing is scary, because that means she and many other people could be without a job.

She goes on to say, "If the mall closes where will I work? Not too many organizations are open. Everything's closing down. What am I supposed to do?"

She's hopeful that a buyer will step up and she and other workers will not be stepping into the unemployment line.

The mall goes up for public sale on January 26th at 11AM to the highest bidder.

"You know I've seen more and more stores close and I was wanting to find out what was going on with the mall." said Jim Leftheris.

It used to be a Tallahassee hot spot but now, it looks like a ghost town. Several stores have closed down in the Tallahassee Mall, causing many to wonder if it will be shutting its doors for good.

"The mall used to be a nice, fun place, everybody was there, it was very crowded, you could find anything you wanted and not many choices anymore," said David Earley.

There has been a huge decline in mall customers over the last few years and with the exit of Dillards Department store, many retailers followed suit. Mall management says the mall has no intentions of closing, but it is up for sale.

"We will continue to operate the property as a mall and we're here, we're open," said General Manager of the Tallahassee Mall, Steven Darby."

Mall officials did not tell us how many stores are currently up and running. They did say several new businesses are opening in the mall in upcoming months and that community events are in store for the future. Local residents have some advice to help jump-start more business.

"They definitely need to bring in some regular, well known national retailers," said Leftheris.

A spokesperson for the AMC movie theater says ticket sales have not been affected by the decline of mall customers and that moviegoers are still attending regular show times.

Mall officials are hoping to use the old Goody's store for different events including a baby consignment show and a concert this coming weekend.

As of now, the old Dillards and Goody's stores remain vacant, but Mall management says they now will have a haunted house around Halloween time.

• by JJAtl Location: Atlanta on Jan 21, 2011 at 06:33 PM
    I have it on good authority that they are going to but a Nordstrom where Dillards used to be. It should be open early 2012.
  • by mall retailer on Jan 17, 2011 at 04:42 PM
    You people sound silly, we are talking about people lively hoods being affected by such a thing as closing the mall down. The kids are very much controlled, and have nothing to do with the reason alot of customers are not shopping there. Clearly if we just get in more stores in the mall it will be jumping again. So lets just pray for the best on behalf of the city, Tallahassee Mall, and most of all the people who will be affected by the decision that will be made.
  • by Anonymous on Jan 9, 2011 at 08:19 AM
    I wonder how long after they shut off the mall's utilities (or someone new actual starts PAYING the bill)will City residents start to see their bills go down again?
  • by Anonymous on Jan 8, 2011 at 10:12 AM
    I do agree that there are way too many young children there that are unsupervised. The mall is a place to shop, it is not a day care facility, nor is it an after school program!! If you think otherwise, you need to get real. Excuses are just that, excuses. The one thing I enjoy about Governor's Square Mall is that it has security that is visible at all times. I am sad to see the Tallahassee Mall go, I enjoyed a lot of memories there.
  • by Bolillo Location: Wakulla on Jan 8, 2011 at 06:22 AM
    Older, not old, anonymous. No these "kids" aren't with money spending adults. They appear to be broke and nearly homeless. They are never in line @ a register. They are never carrying bags. If they spend money @ all, it's @ the food court. Which seems to be their meeting point. You deny the obvious. Do you deny the foreclosure as well? I promise I'll never be in the Tally Mall again walking into a 4 person wide wall, being dared to NOT get outta the way.
  • by anonymous on Jan 7, 2011 at 06:57 PM
    you people are ridiculous..the kids do no harm at the mall..they and their parents spend monry too..i guess all you old farts forgot what it was like to be a kid..perhaps the nursing home would be a good place for you..tallahassee is a college town,, not an old folks home
  • by ML on Jan 7, 2011 at 05:52 PM
    The downfall of the Tally Mall was when Dillards bailed. I'd heard Dillards left was because their rent was majorly jacked up and Dillards scoffed at outrageous new price and moved out. I hope the Mall is kept open with new owners or whoever and they renegotiate with nice classy retailers. The NW side of town really needs a nice Mall and i would certainly shop there if new owners would bring Dillards, JC Pennys, Sears, etc. But please no more cheap Goodies type stores. As far as the kids hanging out and basically loitering all around, well that could be nipped in the bud by simply adding some Mall security officers. Governor square used to have them walking around, and may still, i just never go there much because it's so far from the NW side of town where i live. I really hope this Mall makes it, and gets a big makeover, and thrived again!
  • by Bolillo Location: Wakulla on Jan 7, 2011 at 02:55 PM
    Exactly right, Len!! I was there one Saturday afternoon in November to buy shoes and I said to my wife "get me out of here." Young people walking all over the aisles, no sense of direction, almost daring you to walk in to them, no manners, filthy langauge. Close Tally Mall then all those thugs will migrate to Gov Sq. then you can close that one, too. The 2 Tally Mall's are just hangouts.
  • by Anonymous on Jan 7, 2011 at 02:09 PM
    Interesting point, Anonymous. Also, one must consider how online shopping is accounting for a giant and growing part of a retailer's total sales. I wish this property could be turned into something useful but this town is just not progressive enough and for some reason can't keep and attract new business.
  • by len on Jan 7, 2011 at 02:07 PM
    Just close up the shops keep the mall doors open and let the young thug keep going there like they have for the last 15 years ,,They ran people away from that mall with all their walking the floors and nasty talking ..
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 102921924 - wctv.tv/a?a=102921924