Tallahassee Police Send Santa's Helpers to Give Speeding Tickets

By: Jennifer Milton Email
By: Jennifer Milton Email

If you were driving over the speed limit near the Tallahassee Mall today, you may have been given a ticket by one of Santa's helpers.

In an effort to remind folks to drive safely and by the book, officers with the Tallahassee Police Department's traffic unit and Santa Claus on a sleigh, distributed warnings and tickets to those disobeying the law.

Ironically, within minutes of setting up their ticketing post, a distracted driver slammed into the rear of another vehicle.

"This is a way of bringing attention to the situation through humor, we want people to be observant, we want people to pay attention, and we'd much rather you get a warning than a ticket, but understand, if you're breaking the traffic laws, you will get a ticket, if you drink and drive, you will go to jail," said Public Information Officer David McCranie.

Officials say Santa's helpers will be popping up around town, so make sure to obey the law or you could find yourself paying a hefty fine.

• by LIGAFF Location: Tallahassee on Dec 16, 2010 at 05:58 PM
    Such miss information, no one got a ticket! Everyone was given a warning. As I drove by with my kids in the car they thought that was the coolest thing to see Santa with a motor cop.
  • by BB Location: Tallahassee on Dec 16, 2010 at 08:35 AM
    Did anyone see this on the news this morning? The video showed what a stupd distraction having Santa in the middle of traffic is when cars crashed on the scene! Great work!!!
  • by Hailey on Dec 16, 2010 at 06:06 AM
    HAHA Really! They must have been really bored. I wish I would've seen this in person.
  • by Billo Location: Tally on Dec 16, 2010 at 05:26 AM
    TPD has nothing better to do but dress up like Santa to give tickets? Did tax payers pay for that suit? What a joke!!!
  • by TPD Location: Tallahassee on Dec 15, 2010 at 10:40 PM
    TPD wrote only several speeding tickets. A majority were for drivers who were not wearing seatbelts. Not sure how a Santa in the middle of the road distracting you is a reason not to wear a seatbelt. Cause so many people see Santa, reach over to their right, and unbuckle. People complain that police don't do enough about speeders, and then whine when they try something creative. Maybe they will dress as the devil or a Nazi at Halloween. Will that help...?
  • by Just a Guy Location: North Florida on Dec 15, 2010 at 06:35 PM
    Is this for real? So they think it is funny that a driver was distracted by the "Santa" and his helpers and caused him to have a wreck? I know we should be aware of our surroundings but this is just wrong on so many levels. If they are distracting drivers isnt that more dangerous than speeding? I mean, they said it in black and white that the driver was distracted. I was in Tallahassee today because I had an outpatient surgery. If I had been hit by another car because they were distracted I would have called a lawyer before anyone else. This really makes me P.O.'d
  • by just sayin Location: tally on Dec 15, 2010 at 06:29 PM
    If you got a ticket...I'm glad you got a ticket...Cry me a river...merry christmas from TPD!
  • by Mrs Claus Location: Tallahassee on Dec 15, 2010 at 04:45 PM
    TPD is surely destroying the spirt of Christmas and the Love of Santa Claus. What kind of an example does this set for young children? Deception, distrust and broken dreams of Santa Claus.
  • by Merry Christmas Location: tallahassee on Dec 15, 2010 at 04:38 PM
    Humor on getting a traffic ticket? This is the most asinine thing I have ever heard. I wonder how many tax dollars TPD spent on Santa costumes just so they could get a laugh out of Santa handing people tickets? Ludicrous!
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 111960659 - wctv.tv/a?a=111960659