Tallahassee Museum Opens Zip Line Tree Adventure

By: Garin Flowers Email
By: Garin Flowers Email

Tallahassee, FL -- May 23, 2012 --

Open, click, lock and you're ready to go.

I took a walk on the wild side and tried the new zip lining course at the Tallahassee museum. Also known as Tree to tree adventures.

We signed waivers, strapped up, then hit the ropes.

I spent the day with WCTV great Art Myers, together we reached new heights. Literally.

"How do I feel right now, I feel good, but I'm standing on the ground, I'm not 55 feet in the air yet," Art said.

When it was time to climb, I wasn't nervous at all...well maybe a little.

"It's a phenomenal way to get people outside and do something a little bit different," said Lucas Van Sickle, a guide for the course.

"Looking at your face, looking at everyone that's done the course today. We've got a real winner here and it's kinda just music to my ears," said Russell Daws, executive director of the Tallahassee Museum.

It's open to the public, and from personal experience, it's exhilarating.

Just try not to look down when you keep going higher and higher onto the trees.

More details can be found at TallahasseeMuseum.org.

• by My2Cents Location: Tallahassee on May 25, 2012 at 07:35 AM
    Y'all be careful on this...read the news article about the young lady who got a small cut from a zip line injury and it has turned into a flesh eating bacteria in which she is losing her limbs and extremities one by one.....
      by Anonymous on May 26, 2012 at 10:16 AM in reply to My2Cents
      So ALL zip lines will cause this bacteria! NO! What is everyone's problem with this? Are you people that stupid? (rhetorical question)
  • by Anonymous on May 25, 2012 at 01:49 AM
    amen and hell yeah
  • by TRA Location: C-ville on May 24, 2012 at 05:56 PM
    Really people...I read (laughing all the time) the majority of your comments and quite frankly I don't think most of you have the common sense to make it to the museum, much less 'zip line' so stay in your own little world and leave the living to the rest of us!
  • by Dee Location: Valdosta on May 24, 2012 at 12:19 PM
    Personally I think this is awesome, and brings to light the Museum itself. My teens can't wait to go!
  • by loyal employee Location: tallahassee on May 24, 2012 at 11:40 AM
    just to be clear, yes you have to sign a waiver. however the museum points out that while up there, you are responsible for your own safety. this is to ensure you are more prone to being safe and cautious. It is truly an exciting experience. any place you go to and are putting your safety at risk, such as ziplines, bungy jumping, and sky diving, has you sign a waiver. you dont have to sign it, but you wont go up. simple.
  • by Natty Bumppo Location: Tally on May 24, 2012 at 10:24 AM
    I take my little Mohawks there all the time. This is just cool. Cannot wait to try it even though I am not crazy about heights.
  • by Betty on May 24, 2012 at 09:49 AM
    Diseases PEAK and VALLEY through the years. You don't hear so much about herpes now but you heard about it a lot in the 1980s. You heard about Trichomonas a lot in the 1980s also but not so much now. I think the time for necrotizing fasciitis is HERE....and we better pay attention to it. Watch where you cut yourself and pay attention to the pain it causes. I've read about 3 more cases just this month from GA. One guy got it in his groin from cutting grass. Something flew up and hit him. Watch where your kids sit on the side of the pool, and don't try on clothes until you wash them. No Joke. I think necrotizing fasciitis is on the RISE AGAIN. It happened back in the 1970s when a guy got a paper cut from a magazine on an airplane -- first time I heard about it. Now it's back.
      by Anonymous on May 24, 2012 at 11:17 AM in reply to Betty
      Crawl back into your nuclear fallout shelter and keep your crazy hippie ideas to yourself. No one cares about your 'theories'. You sound like a crazy old woman.
      by Anonymous on May 25, 2012 at 05:28 AM in reply to Betty
      Watch out for MRSA. It kills more in the US than AIDS.
  • by ? on May 24, 2012 at 09:41 AM
    You would do this after a girl has had to have both of her legs amputated and all her fingers???????? She was injured on a ZIP LINE!
      by Anonymous on May 24, 2012 at 11:13 AM in reply to ?
      Chicken.
      by carpe diem on May 24, 2012 at 12:25 PM in reply to ?
      It was a homemade zipline...homemade...no security devices...not professionally built. You take your life in your hands every single day just walking out the door and getting into your car. LIVE, people...just live before your life is over and you regret everything you never did.
      by TallyVoter on May 25, 2012 at 02:49 AM in reply to ?
      Stay home and live in fear. You might be forced to go out and live life otherwise.
  • by Julie Location: Tallahassee on May 24, 2012 at 07:57 AM
    This sounded absolutely wonderful weeks ago! However, upon hearing of Aimee Copeland's tragic injury with the flesh eating bacteria, in part from something like this, no thanks. I favor my health over skimming the trees any day.
      by Anonymous on May 24, 2012 at 11:14 AM in reply to Julie
      So one person gets a disease from an injury while on a zip line, and now you assume that will happen to every person who gets on one? Sounds a little stupid.
        by loyal employee on May 24, 2012 at 11:45 AM in reply to
        so why not stop driving from all the tragic deaths caused by car accidents? or dont go on rollercoasters or fair rides from all the accidents on those. dont knock something just because one person hurt themselves on a home made contraption. also, it is a course, there are several ziplines but its mostly "suspended games". as long as you take the proper requirements to be safe then you will have no worries.
      by roger on May 24, 2012 at 11:42 AM in reply to Julie
      You probebly do the most dangerous and deadly thing that you can do in America every day....drive a car. You going to stop that too...good less idiots on the road.
  • by gray area Location: florid on May 24, 2012 at 06:59 AM
    lets not forget about the young lady that got that flesh eating disease that almost killed her a few weeks back; took her legs, hands, etc. it was from a gash in her leg from a zip line. very dangerous if you ask me, no wonder you have to sign a waiver. just be careful folks, especially kids.
      by anon on May 24, 2012 at 08:00 AM in reply to gray area
      Did you stop doing yard maintenance as well because of the other case in Georgia?
      by Miss Rational on May 24, 2012 at 08:34 AM in reply to gray area
      In that case, I recommend against doing yard work, as a man in Georgia is currently hospitalized after getting the flesh eating infection from a cut to his leg while working in his yard.
      by b on May 24, 2012 at 08:41 AM in reply to gray area
      The bacteria was actually from the water she swam in after zip-lining. Yes, the initial injury was caused by a zip line, but it was a homemade zip line. I'm sure these are much safer.
      by Jo on May 24, 2012 at 08:42 AM in reply to gray area
      That was a "homemade" zip line. You're asking for disaster when you attempt to make a zip line without the proper equipment.
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 153392945 - wctv.tv/a?a=153392945