The Florida Gun Law Debate

By: Valerie Boey Email
By: Valerie Boey Email

Volusia County, FL - Here in Florida some are taking a shot at changing the law from having a concealed weapon to being able to openly carry one. Sean Caranna is the founder of a group called the Open Carry Movement.

"I can't currently take off my jacket or I'd be breaking the law right now."

While Caranna is currently taking steps to support a proposed open carry bill, John Gutmacher says an open carry law failed back in 1986 in Florida, Gutmacher is the author of Florida firearms law use and ownership.

Author Jon Gutmacher says, "I'm currently neutral on it, but I think that quite frankly since Florida once rejected that, tried it it didn't work, I don't see it working now."

He supports having a concealed weapons permit.

"We have a law that works perfectly, so why would we want to change it."

But Sean says they're several reasons why...

"If I'm in Publix and reach for the peas I could be arrested because my jacket came up, so there's big problems with our current law and people have had problems with these provisions."

But if the law changes, Guttmacher is concerned it may cause lawmakers to change other legislation making it even more restrictive for gun owners in the future.

"Whether its a good idea or a bad idea, that is left to time to tell."

State representative, Scott Plankin says it's too early to tell how far the bill will go, he says out of two thousand bills, only around 200 are actually passed.

• by DLG Location: Michigan on Mar 18, 2011 at 10:41 AM
    Never argue common sense with a liberal. It's like mud wrestling with a pig; You get covered in mud and the pig enjoys it. The whole liberal agenda is to make us all sheep being led to the slaughter. One freedom at a time being erroded away. If they don't want to carry guns to protect themselves, fine, their choice. They will NEVER understand the mentality of the law-abiding citizen carrying his/her gun! NEVER! It's beyond their comprehension to understand that a licensed carrier is just a normal run of the mill individual who is NOT going around looking for a fight. The LAST thing any licensed carrier wants is to draw his/her gun. Mr. Liberal, it's about personal protection in an evil world, and our personal liberties!
  • by LaRue Location: floridA on Jan 20, 2011 at 03:12 PM
    Well, I was born and raised here just like the other 4 generations in my family and we have always hunted, fished and carried guns openly without incident until all these people started moving here with their transient ideas. Frankly I dont think we want to see wild west style guns all over the place, but if Im headed out fishing and strap on my gun, which I do and always will, what gives anyone the right to tell me I cannot, especially in my native birth right state. 90% of the people who oppose open carry laws are from somewhere else and either retired or semi resident here. Some of us still go about daily business and recreation so leave us, and our 2nd amendment rights alone.
  • by bobthegunslinger Location: tampa,fla. on Jan 19, 2011 at 10:15 PM
    these laws are more than just an open carry issue!they pertain to concealed carry laws also!read the proposals written!
  • by Georgia Boy Location: Cairo on Jan 19, 2011 at 03:34 AM
    You belong to a strange combination of organizations, izitjustme. The NRA and the ACLU? Every time I see the ACLU doing anything pertaining to weapons or other civil rights it is to limit them. And that includes legally carrying weapons. To those of you asking about carrying guns versus other weapons, you need to pull the web site up for the Florida Statutes and read the statute pertaining to concealed carry. It defines what constitutes a weapon. And to the gentleman who wants open carry to prevent someone seeing his concealed weapon by accident, I approached Georgia's legislators about the same thing some time ago. It is hard to carry concealed in the summer unless you use a fanny pack holster. That is what I've resorted to. It works great, meets the Georgia requirement of carrying concealed, and gives you room for extra ammunition or magazines. All right out in the open.
  • by Daddyo......... Location: Live Oak on Jan 18, 2011 at 10:00 PM
    I am an "X" Military Policeman, Shore Patrol and Police Officer. As a police officer, our department REQUIRED us to carry a side arm at ALL time, (On or off duty) My weapon of choice was and still is, a 2",S&W,38 special. Our department had no rules as to carring it concealed or open, on or off duty. One day we went shopping, and I wore my side arm outside. I never had so many people asking me why I carried a gun in all my life. I have carried a gun for over 50 years, Thank GOD I've never had the occasion to use it) But I would not feel right with out it. I will never carry a gun in the open, because I don't want anybody to know I'm armed. Especially the "bad Guys", because that gives ME the edge.
  • by izitjustme? on Jan 18, 2011 at 07:55 PM
    There WAS a citizen carrying in Tucson at the shooting. He did nothing because he was afraid he'd be mistaken for the shooter. Lotta good a chicken with a gun does. Me, if in the same situation, I would have used my weapon to stop the madman,laid it on the ground,raised my hands to show I was not a threat.Let ballistics sort out the rest. As long as I had a clear shot with little chance of hitting anyone else, he would have been slowed,if not stopped. By the way,to all the morons who think all liberals(or progressives)are anti-gun. I'm a liberal/progressive who is quite proficient on the range and in the field. I am a member of the NRA AND ACLU. I used to carry, I don't anymore. Personal choice, no one else's. You can never stop a lone nut. The Kennedys and MLK, Ford and Reagan shows that.
  • by jsknow Location: Land of the FREE on Jan 18, 2011 at 07:53 PM
    Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 Gun Ownership Mandatory In Kennesaw, Georgia Crime Rate Plummets by Chuck Baldwin "The New American magazine reminds us that March 25th marked the 16th anniversary of Kennesaw, Georgia's ordinance requiring heads of households (with certain exceptions) to keep at least one firearm in their homes. After the law went into effect in 1982, crime against persons plummeted 74 percent compared to 1981, and fell another 45 percent in 1983 compared to 1982. And it has stayed impressively low..." http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/1818862/posts
  • by RetiredMarine Location: Tallahassee on Jan 18, 2011 at 06:09 PM
    Any type of anti-gun argument is void. If and when it becomes illegal to carry a firearm we will become a nation of sheep. There isn't enough law enforcement to enforce a ban and second do you really believe that even those of us who are otherwise by the book would allow ourselves to be set up as cannon foder in an ever increasingly violent society? I've got mine and have every intent of keeping them.As for open carry,keep them guessing. The element of surprise is amazing....
  • by Rick Location: Miami on Jan 18, 2011 at 06:00 PM
    In a perfect world perhaps we would not have a need for fire arms at all. However in the one we live in where criminals are already armed and using them more and more for no reason at all, I would not mind the abilty to legally display my personal crime deterent. Let would be criminals no that they can try but it won't be easy!!!
  • by Anonymous on Jan 18, 2011 at 04:16 PM
    watertown73 and Debbie, nobody is asking for everyone to be allowed to carry a gun. The current laws require a backgrond check for anyone wishing to get a CCP. What is the difference if the gun is visible or concealed?
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 114049529 - wctv.tv/a?a=114049529