The Ted Bundy Murders

Tallahassee, Florida --

A freezing night in January more than 30 years ago changed the sleepy college town of Tallahassee forever.

That night a man on the run from murder charges out west killed two FSU students and severely injured three more. Ted Bundy's first attacks came at the Chi Omega sorority house.
When FSU and Tallahassee Police got the call that frigid Sunday morning, it didn't sound that alarming:

"I Got a call from FSU dispatch that two girls had been hurt in a fight at the Chi Omega house" says former FSU Police Sergeant Bill Taylor. But as Taylor and fellow FSU officer Ray Crew pulled up and went inside along with TPD's officer Oscar Brannon, they quickly realized it was much more.

A young woman named Nita Neary met them and said she'd seen a man run out the front door, a man she later identified at the trial as Ted Bundy.

Taylor and Crew started a search and were alerted to something upstairs.

Crew says, "I went upstairs and that's when I found the young girl, Karen Chandler, at the top of the stairs and she was severely injured. She was coherent enough that I was able to ask some questions. She said she'd been in the room with her roommate and had been attacked."

Her roommate Kathy Kleiner was badly hurt and incoherent.

Crew then went to Margaret Bowman's room:

"I opened the door turned on the light and observed the crime scene. She was deceased," says Crew.

Across the hall was Lisa Levy's room.

Taylor says, "The EMT's and I started working on her, trying to revive her, but it was too long since she had stopped breathing."

Lisa had been terribly beaten and sexually assaulted.

As the injured girls were rushed to the hospital, FSU, Tallahassee Police and Leon County Sheriff's deputies rushed to secure the campus and try to catch a killer, but Bundy wasn't finished with his attacks.

After leaving the Chi Omega house, he went just a few blocks away to a home on Dunwoody Street that had been made into two apartments. There he slipped into the quarters of Cheryl Thomas.

Cheryl's friend Debbie Touchton lived in the other apartment and says she heard strange sounds coming from Cheryl's side and when Cheryl wouldn't answer the phone, called police.

Debbie says, "I heard a very strange pounding noise. The house was up on blocks and it sounded like someone was underneath the house pounding."

Cheryl Thomas doesn't remember much from that night. " During the night I heard a noise, but I'd adopted a kitten so I assumed it was the kitten and just passed out."

Cheryl says she didn't wake up until a day or two later at the hospital.. her parents by her bedside.

That's when she learned the extent of her injuries. Cheryl says, "I was bludgeoned by a club that Bundy came through the window with, he fractured my skull in 5 places, broke my jaw. One skull fracture severed my hearing nerve"

She would never hear again in that left ear.

Bundy, meanwhile, was able to slip away that night. Three weeks later he raped and killed 12-year-old Kimberly Leach in Lake City, Florida.

But Bundy's killing spree finally ended when an officer in Pensacola made a traffic stop on a stolen vehicle.

Bundy was finally behind bars, exactly one month after the Chi Omega attacks in Tallahassee.

Debbie Touchton, the friend of Cheryl Thomas, says she worries people are becoming more careless as they forget about the attacks, and they need to be more cautious of their surroundings. In part 2 airing
Monday, November 15 we'll look at Bundy's trial and how survivors are finding hope and healing.

• by juswonderin Location: everywhere on Nov 15, 2010 at 01:13 PM
    TO ALL: Yes I was here, I worked at DOC then, it is you who do not know the whole story. Quit thinking about yourselves and pray for the victims. Also, J, stop being childish.
      by Cheryl on Jan 18, 2012 at 04:26 PM in reply to juswonderin
      to juswonderin: I would like to know the whole story. Care to share?
  • by washere on Nov 14, 2010 at 05:47 AM
    justwondern I and the whole town were victims. ALPHA if you really belive that then you are sick as he was.
  • by atownsvictims Location: here on Nov 14, 2010 at 04:52 AM
    justwondern it seems you don't understand the whole town was victims. ALPHA YOU CAN'T READ. IT PLAIN to see you know nothing about this case or any of the other gross things this beast did,wimp HE WAS NOT. You think that then you are just as sick as he was.
  • by kelly Location: here on Nov 12, 2010 at 06:45 PM
    I remember the talla police hiring a psysic to ride around talla and the the above did some good.
  • by Anonymous on Nov 12, 2010 at 05:41 PM
    This hold community was terroized by this. We were all victims. I was just a little girl. I was scare to death. Everybody was scare. It hard to relate in todays world, but back then that fear froze the entire community, the country really.
  • by j on Nov 12, 2010 at 04:34 PM
    justwonderin-just bet you were noteven near this town then. WE WERE. Till you live the nightmare we did, don't knock it. People near the school area WHERE SCARED. Near the jailed was also, he had escaped so manytime from other jails. that was in the back of our minds all the time. Morn and noon and NIGHT. Keep your mouth shut about something you know nothing about
  • by alpha Location: here on Nov 12, 2010 at 04:29 PM
    bundy was a wimp. he should have been burned alive than state killed. but he funny thing was, in the early 80's, the female students were leaving their dorm rooms and access doors unlocked. I worked for FSU in the early 80s.
  • by TallyGirl Location: Crawfordville on Nov 12, 2010 at 04:12 PM
    FOR JUSWONDERIN: This is being brought up because WCTV posted a poll for what story readers wanted to hear about and gave a couple selections to choose from. Ted Bundy must be the one most selected. People are probably as you say "attaching" themselves because something this drastic tends to bring people together and they share there fears and concerns.
  • by terry Location: home on Nov 12, 2010 at 03:59 PM
    ted was a verry verry sick puppy.
  • by jw Location: lived it on Nov 12, 2010 at 03:54 PM
    justwonderin- I JUSTbet YOU were no where around at the time. WE WERE!!! It is our nightmare. Don't you FORGET THAT don't knock something you can't even begin to understand.
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 107475869 - wctv.tv/a?a=107475869