[UPDATE] U.S. Escapes Major Hurricanes for 5th Straight Year

By: AP
By: AP

Statement by GOVERNOR CHARLIE CRIST Regarding the End of the Atlantic Hurricane Season

“As we welcome the end of the 2010 Atlantic hurricane season today, I want to remind Floridians that hazardous weather can happen 365 days a year. Preparedness shouldn’t end with hurricane season. I encourage all Florida families and businesses to be prepared for the possibility of dangerous storms in the winter and spring too.

“Thankfully, we’ve been blessed with a mild hurricane season that spared our state from a devastating impact equal to those of season’s past. Now is a great time to review and update disaster plans and supplies.

“This holiday season, consider holiday gift baskets of preparedness items for families in need and donate non-expired goods to a local food bank or charitable community group. Items like a NOAA alert radio can become a lifesaving stocking stuffer.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Miami, FL (AP) - A busy Atlantic hurricane season ends Tuesday and
the U.S. has been spared any major storms for a fifth straight
year.

All told, 19 named storms formed in the Atlantic, the
third-highest total on record, and 12 became hurricanes, the
second-highest total on record.

In the U.S., Texas suffered the worst of the tropical weather,
with flooding, deaths, and tens of millions of dollars in damage
attributed to storms. But most of activity hit elsewhere, including
Haiti, Mexico and the Caribbean.

Hurricane Wilma in 2005 was the last major hurricane of Category
3 or stronger to hit the U.S. The U.S. has never before gone more
than five consecutive years without a major hurricane.

(Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

• by Anonymous on Dec 4, 2010 at 08:01 PM
    beenhad&surprise ya just goahead an drop your insurance don't go crying if you lose everything from a BAD storm or a twister or a Hurricane.
  • by Jw Location: Tallahassee,then&now on Dec 4, 2010 at 07:40 AM
    beenhad....you must not been here when KATE hit here. Here in Tallahassee,also there were twisters from it. We had no elect for over a wk. LOT OF trees down and damaages. From what I remember we were lucky even then. So go ahead and cancel. Good luck.
  • by Anonymous on Nov 30, 2010 at 11:39 AM
    Weather Manipulation is active and running!
  • by Surprise Location: leon county on Nov 30, 2010 at 03:23 AM
    Five (5) years & my Florida Insurance Company has stuck it to me for those 5 years with me living inland on the highest hill in leon county and I'm due a rebate or reduce my policy as I don't live at the or on the Gulf and its not right being charged like i do bummer. (GRrrrrr) Where's our "Lets get to work" Top Guy on this? "HELP" ~ I'm being robbed.
  • by Beenhad Location: Florida on Nov 29, 2010 at 07:43 PM
    I have paid high homeowner insurance for hurricanes that have not done major damage for five years in Florida. I even paid on my auto insurance for a hurricane slush fund. Something smells. Either Florida is being billed for other states problems, such a tornado damage, wild fires etc. I have friend in other states and their homeowners insurance hasn't seen the increase as those of us in Florida who do not live on either coast have seen.
  • by Betsy Location: Moultrie, GA on Nov 29, 2010 at 06:31 PM
    The good Lord must have been looking after the United States since it has been spared any major storms for the fifth straight year. That could come to an end sometime in the future, but I hope it won't.
  • by mike Location: tallahassee on Nov 29, 2010 at 04:32 PM
    So where is all those insurance premiums we have been paying going? One would think that after 5 years of no payouts Citizens would be flush. Thoughts?
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 111004999 - wctv.tv/a?a=111004999