WCTV Live Stream Bloggers Meet to Celebrate the Life of Cheryl Dunlap

By: Candace Riley Email
By: Candace Riley Email

It was a meeting of screen names at a local restaurant Friday night as those who participated in WCTV's live on-line streaming of the Gary Michael Hilton trial met face to face.

"My screen name is lwatts"
Only a few of these people actually knew each other before meeting and say connecting through a murder trial chat room has brought a sense of community.

Lorettta Mayfield or "lmayfield" says, "Being a witness in the trial is very emotional and very scary. You know talking to people on line had given me some kind of comfort that there are still people in this world who are good people."

More than 600 viewers at a time gathered to watch and weigh in on the proceedings daily.

"8:00 in the morning until 6:00 in the evening. From the first day Friday to up until today," says Linda Watts or lwatts of her time spent on line.

Around 15 people met , some of them never even knew Dunlap, but say the very public trial made it easy to connect to her story and be a part of the trial without really being in the courtroom.

Brandee Mcauley, the celebration organizer and avid chat room participant says, "we communicated about meeting at least once a month, possibly creating a fundraiser for her sons if they decide to attend college."

Everyone who met says they feel a sense of community and they will remember this forever. The group plans to come together more in the future to do all they can to keep the memory of Cheryl Dunlap alive and help raise funds for her sons college. Everyone plans to continue to watch the live streaming of the trial until a sentence for Hilton is been reached.

• by Cap on on Feb 24, 2011 at 03:35 PM
    Hey if i would have kno i would have went
  • by Me Location: Tally on Feb 21, 2011 at 05:43 AM
    I did not have the opportunity to ever meet Cheryl Dunlap, but I pray that her family and friends have a sense of relief knowing that Cheryl is in a better place and that a horrific human being is being brought to justice. I have been watching the Live Stream of the hearing and I am so glad that WCTV made that possible. I hope that they are able to continue to bring other trials to us this way. It really helps to know that the bad people are being held accountable for their horrible actions. I have been part of the chat and it has given me a sense of community, I think that is a wonderful thing.
  • by Zumi on Feb 21, 2011 at 05:37 AM
    Sorry I missed it! Hope I get another chance to meet you all. My heart and prayers are with Cheryl's family today, and also with the jurors and judge.
  • by Loretta Location: Florida on Feb 19, 2011 at 01:54 PM
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LY4Rl1yiTWA Please enjoy this everyone. She is and was a special lady.
  • by Ima on Feb 19, 2011 at 12:01 PM
    WCTV has done a fantastic job with the live streaming of the trial AND Julie's reporting. All FREE...unlike the Democrat. Thank you, WCTV and Julie Montenaro! Prayers for the judge as he considers all the evidence, the family and friends as they suffer through this experience, and the prosecution (Cappleman is great!). Hopefully, Monday will go quickly and Hilton will hear the words he does NOT want to hear...I hereby sentence you to death.
  • by Time4Justice Location: Georgia on Feb 19, 2011 at 10:58 AM
    Thank you to WCTV for live streaming of the trial;I commend you for this effort. I've been watching & listening to most of the trial. Think it is wonderful that others locally gathered to celebrate Cheryl Dunlap and share in the experience of justice for her. We all look forward to Monday's date with destiny for Hilton. Send prayers for C.D.'s family and friends as they have had to go through this painful experience.
  • by Anonymous Location: North Florida on Feb 19, 2011 at 10:28 AM
    A few of these bloggers were very crass and rude and an embarrassment to the honor of Cheryl Dunlap and the blogging community. Their irreverence made a mockery out of opportunity to pay tribute to a woman of grace. They squandered a rare opportunity away only to make fools out of themselves.
  • by WS Location: BC, GA 30143 on Feb 19, 2011 at 10:27 AM
    lammayfield(chat Line) wrote: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LY4Rl1yiTWA Hope you all enjoy this as much as I enjoyed making it.
  • by Melitta Location: Germany on Feb 19, 2011 at 07:27 AM
    I very much appreciate WCTV for letting the world share this trial. THANK YOU! Living in a different world, I always thought my loved ones and myself were (somewhat) save, but deep down inside I know we are not. Although what I saw and heard, during this trial, gulled me at times, yet I found comfort in the chat room with all these caring and loving people. I gladly stayed beyond the trial broadcast, just to be near 'soul mates'. Never having met either Meredith or Cheryl, I KNOW that they will forever be a part of my life! They truly are heroinnes. May their souls rest in peace, I -for one- know that they will never be forgotten. Thanks again, WCTV, and to all my cyber friends: CU Monday.
  • by Lammayfield Location: Hosford on Feb 19, 2011 at 05:01 AM
    It was such a pleasure and comfort to have met some of you. Glad we came together in the Memory of Cheryl, she will never be forgotten.
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 116518598 - wctv.tv/a?a=116518598