[UPDATE] Funeral for Tallahassee Mother and Daughter Killed in Crash

By: Eyewitness News, Amy Long, Jerry Askin Email
By: Eyewitness News, Amy Long, Jerry Askin Email

UPDATE 05-31-2011 at 6:30pm by Jerry Askin

A woman and her young daughter killed in an accident last week were laid to rest Tuesday morning.

Eric Reeves joined hundreds of people Tuesday as they remembered 24-year old Nicole Powell and her 5-year old daughter Hannah. Both who died last week in a car accident.

Reeves says, "This is a major catastrophe. You only lose one family member you lose two, and anytime there's a child involved, it magnifies it."

Troopers say last Wednesday Nicole was riding on highway 27 when the car she was driving, overcorrected and landed in a ditch. Five-year old Hannah died on the scene. Nicole died the next day at TMH.

"People will remember what beautiful people they were and help them memory survive," says Alison Allen.

Alison Allen has known Nicole her entire life and she can't imagine life without her.

Allen says, "Nicole was just a beautiful, energetic spirit. Loved life, loved her family, loved her friends."

"They were wonderful people, they went to church down here and they brought those kids to Sunday school and church," says Sammie Gray.

The mother leaves behind a husband and 8-year old son. Troopers are still investigating the exact cause of the accident. We'll let you know when more information becomes available.

______________________________________________________
[UPDATE] 5-31 Noon --

Family and Friends are gathered in Jefferson County to pay their respects to a mother and her young child. The two were killed in a car accident last week.

Troopers say last Wednesday, Nicole was riding on Highway 27 when the car over-corrected, hit a pickup truck, and landed in a ditch. 5-year old Hannah died on the scene and Nicole was pronounced dead the next day at TMH. The family requested there be no media inside, but we were outside at the funeral. At least 200 people are here to say a final goodbye to this mother and her daughter.

We'll bring you more reaction from those who knew Nicole and Hannah personally and the latest on the investigation tonight on Eyewitness News.

_____________________________________

[UPDATE] 5-31 11:20 AM --

Eyewitness News is at the funeral for Hannah and Nicole Powell at Wacissa Pentecostal Holiness church.

Pictures are attached above

Stay with WCTV for details.

________________________________

[UPDATE] 5-28 11:00 PM --

Funeral services have been arranged for a mother and daughter killed in a tragic car crash earlier this week.

24-year old Nicole Powell and her five-year-old daughter Hannah will be laid to rest Tuesday at 11 a-m at Wacissa pentecostal holiness church.
Powell crashed her car on hwy 27 on Wednesday.

The viewing will be held Monday at 6p-m at Culley's Meadow-Wood Funeral Home.
________________________________________________

(Update) 5-26 10:38pm by Amy Long

A Tallahassee family deals with heartbreak after a mother and daughter die as a result of a car wreck.

Billy Powell keeps a picture of his little girl in a homemade popsicle stick frame in his work truck at Mr. Rooter in Tallahassee.

Five year old Hannah was riding along Highway 27 with her mom and Billy's wife, 24-year-old Nicole Powell Wednesday afternoon, when according to police reports, the car they were in over corrected, slammed into a pick-up truck and landed in a ditch.

Hannah died on the scene and Nicole fought for her life until around 1 o'clock Thursday 5/26 afternoon.

Official reports as to what happened have not been released.

Holly and Justin Tillman , who own Mr. Rooter and have a son in the same class as Hannah's brother, are still trying to grasp the reality.

"I drove by. Her and I always intercept and we'd like wave at each other or something. I actually saw the car and called my husband immediately and said, 'will you have Billy call his wife?" says Holly Tillman.

"In a blink of an eye, you know, your whole world can change. For something like this to happen it's kind of unbelievable." says Justin Tillman.

Powell was on her way to pick up her son from school when the wreck took place.

Authorities say they aren't sure what caused Powell's car to go off the road in the first place.

Justin and Holly Tillman have set up a memorial fund for Billy Powell and his 8-year-old son:

Nicole and Hannah Powell Memorial Fund
Set up at Hancock Bank and Mr. Rooter
c/o Mr. Rooter
500 Capital Circle SE, Suite B2
Tallahassee, Florida 32301

Check back to WCTV.TV for updates.
______________________________
[UPDATE] 5-26 2:30pm -

Nicole Powell died around 1:00pm on May 26 when she was taken off life support. She was on her way to pick up her 8-year-old son from school when the accident took place.
_____________________________

[UPDATE] 5-26 Noon -

A Tallahassee mother clings to life. Her daughter died in yesterday's car crash. Today, investigators are working to figure out what caused the accident.

We've called multiple times Thursday morning and still no change. 24-year-old Nicole Powell is in critical condition at TMH.

The car driven by Nicole Powell hit a pick-up truck on Highway 27 near Raymond Tucker Road. Powell's five year old daughter Hannah died. The FHP report says Nicole wasn't wearing her seat belt. She was ejected from the car. The driver of the pick-up truck involved, Dylan Ortiz was left with minor injuries.

"I saw five or six ambulances go up and down the road. I saw the truck and the car on a flat bed, they drove by. The truck was pretty messed up on one side. The car was totally totaled on the passenger side," says witness Charles Harris.

Authorities say they aren't sure what caused Powell to lose control of the car.

We will continue to check on Nicole's condition and update WCTV.tv as soon as more information is released.

_______________________________

[UPDATE] 5-26 11am -

Eyewitness News contacted TMH to find out the status of Nicole Marie Powell. According to the TMH, Powell is still listed as in critical condition as of 11am.

________________________________

[UPDATE] 5-26 7:45am -

Eyewitness News contacted TMH to find out the status of Nicole Marie Powell. According to the TMH Public Relations Office, she is still listed as in critical condition as of 7:45am.

_________________________________

UPDATE 5-25 8:45 pm

Tallahassee, FL - FHP releases accident report (attached above) which states Hannah Marie Powell, 5, died in the afternoon accident on Apalachee Parkway near Raymond Tucker Road. Nicole Marie Powell, 24, was taken to Tallahassee Memorial Hospital where she is in critical condition.

Charges are pending the outcome of the investigation.

-------------------------------------

UPDATE 5-25 5:32pm

Tallahassee, FL - FHP is now reporting this accident is a fatal one. Traffic is still being blocked off, so drivers in the area of Apalachee Parkway and Raymond Tucker Road should use caution and plan for delays.

-------------------------------------------

Tallahassee, Florida - May 25, 2011 -

Pictures are attached above

Eyewitness News is at the scene of a car wreck where a woman was reportedly ejected from her vehicle. The crash happened at around 2:59pm at the intersection of Apalachee Parkway (US-27) and Raymond Tucker Road.

The crash is listed as a vehicle crash with injuries, according to the FHP website.

The westbound lane of US-27 is blocked off at this time.

The Florida Highway Patrol will not release any details at this time, and will not confirm in there was a fatality.

Stay with WCTV for updates.

• by Mom Location: Tallahassee on Jun 9, 2011 at 08:05 AM
    I was not going to respond to any of these posts. But when it comes to my kids, I will stand for what I feel is right. FSU Dad - you say this wouldn't happen to your child. Let it be known that DEATH does not discriminate. Whether an FSU grad or not, one day your children will pass on. All I have to say to you is that I hope you never have to suffer the loss of a child or grandchild. I am the mom and grandmother of these two beautiful ladies. I commend Billy on his well spoken response to all of you who have commented on this tragic event. Unless you were there - none of you know the story behind this, none of you know the kind of people these 2 young ladies were. I pray the day never comes that my family discovers who "FSU Dad" is - I pitty your poor children for having such a cold hearted, out spoken, mean, poor example of a father. Maybe you should show your daughter how you have responded on here - see what she has to say about you then.
  • by FSU Dad on Jun 2, 2011 at 04:57 PM
    In response to CJJfla: You meant *flotsam* GET AN EDUCATION YOU IDIOT!
      by William Powell on Jun 6, 2011 at 11:25 PM in reply to FSU Dad
      Let me start by saying Thank You to ALL, you know who you are.The support thru this CRISIS has been power- ful.GOD BLESS YOU ALL. My name is Billy a.k.a babe and DADDY to those Two Young Ladies and still known as DADDY to the Little Young MAN watching me by my side. We are both left behind here to pick up the pieces or take out the trash! WE together must face the world now without the Little Sister or the Little Wife that was MY/OUR living proof that we are BOTH MEN. Over the last 8 years NICOLE and HANNAH together gave me Definition!The Role My Purpose for BEING HERE A MAN. By their Existence I was taught how to Love, Care, LOVE more, be Confident, Proud and PROTECTIVE of our WELLbeing and our HONOR. This is MY FAMILY being discussed here rather LOSELY over the last week. Today was the first day I read anything on the topic. To Say I'm FURIOUS is understating right now. I want YALL to SAY IT TO OUR FACES word for word. Face me a MAN just over WATCHING HIS WIFE HIS TRUE LOVES HEART STOP BEATING AND HER TINY BODY FIGHTING FOR HER LIFE IN THE ATTEMPT TO BREATHE and tell me to get real about her being 16 when we got married how dare you you dont know me and you sure as hell dont know her dont you open your mouth again! SEE ALL OF THIS AND TELL ME ABOUT A SEATBELT SO I CAN SLAP YOU YOU FOCUS ON YOUR OWN SEATING ARRANGEMENTS THERE GONE NOW SPEAK TO MY FACE half as freely as made to seem here thru a very passive distant disconnected and cowardly way of interacting/interfering with situation/tradgedy needing no further complications if any further attempt to dishonor my wife or our daughter during the remainder of its public spotlight i ask respectfully to keep it with you, not offering it here where for the majority it is Unnecessary text. We all know speeding, seatbelts and grocery shopping?"exactly" Not Relevant here! My Girls will keep their HONOR I will see to it. GOD HAVE MERCY ON YOU IF IT CONTINUES I WILL NOT i am asking please.
  • by leah Location: tally on Jun 2, 2011 at 07:44 AM
    you people that are leaving negative comments are so rude. how would you feel if this were your family. my son went to daycare with Hannah, and she was such a sweet child. Her mother was never anything but nice to me. your family is in my heart and thoughts.
  • by Pamela on Jun 1, 2011 at 06:25 PM
    It's astounding that people focus on blame instead of focusing on the fact that two lives have been lost and a family is mourning. Just keep the family members in your thoughts and prayers. That's much more helpful to the family.
      by OneMoreThing on Jun 2, 2011 at 10:06 AM in reply to Pamela
      Yeah, the focus is "SEAT BELTS SAVES LIVES". I'd like to know why that is consider bad and callous? There is blame, this mother chose to drive without a seat belt without regard to her own safety or the safety of her child, it was a conscience decision she made. Like it or not!
  • by Michelle Location: Tally on Jun 1, 2011 at 06:02 PM
    My children go to schol at Chaires Elem.,where Braden also attends.I just want to say that I am truly truly sorry for your loss.Don't listne to all the neg. comments on this site.I am sure they would not be saying those things if it were them. I will continue to pray for your family.
  • by Lauren Leigh on Jun 1, 2011 at 01:37 PM
    She was only 16 when she had her first child??? Oh my!!!
      by michelle on Jun 1, 2011 at 05:57 PM in reply to Lauren Leigh
      What does that have to do with anything??
        by Lauren Leigh on Jun 1, 2011 at 07:04 PM in reply to michelle
        It shows that she was irresponsible from the start, 16 having kids give me a break...
          by FSU Dad on Jun 1, 2011 at 07:30 PM in reply to Lauren Leigh
          Lauren you are exactly right!!!
          by CJJfla on Jun 2, 2011 at 10:12 AM in reply to Lauren Leigh
          In reponse to Lauren Leigh&fsu dad....too bad your parents didnt take the abortion option and save the world from the tactless comments of 2 pieces of human flotsum!!! HAVE SOME RESPECT!!!
      by Elizabeth Bradley on Jun 8, 2011 at 07:58 AM in reply to Lauren Leigh
      Lauren Leigh, I knew Nicole's family, and yeah, she did have a kid young - but she LOVED that kid and was a GREAT mom. I think it is VERY unfair and unkind of you to make judgments on a person you didn't ever know - this was not some welfare mom who didn't take care of her family. She was a great person and a great mom.
  • by anon Location: wakulla on May 31, 2011 at 02:58 PM
    Still waiting on the post about the kid that got killed on the woodville Hy last thursday buy a hit and run driver "left dead in the road.you guys are slacking" WCSO work this and did not report it to you.That is up with that.And another bad one Saturday mornimg on the woodville, WCOS work that one as well truck rap around a pine tree and burnt to the ground. are they just not reporting it or that is up.
  • by Lauren Location: Tallahassee on May 31, 2011 at 11:17 AM
    It's pretty terrible to see all the negative comments. Regardless of how it happened.. That is someones daughter and grand child. EVERYONE should be respectful of that. If your not, just keep your mouth closed.
  • by Local Mom Location: Tallahassee on May 30, 2011 at 12:35 PM
    My daughter went to I'm Precious Too with little Hannah this past year... Hannah was a very sweet bright eyed little girl that always had a smile on her face... Serenity will miss her dearly!
  • by Localboy Location: Tally on May 29, 2011 at 12:41 PM
    Every day of life is a gift, and life is indeed fragile. I am so sorry for the loss that Mr. Powell, his son, and loved ones have suffered.
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 122606794 - wctv.tv/a?a=122606794