Valdosta, GA - **** PUBLIC NOTICE ****
On Sept. 29, 2010, the City of Valdosta received over five inches of rain within a 24-hour period. Inflow and infiltration from the storm caused five overflows of combined sanitary wastewater and stormwater from the collection system:
1) At 2408 Meadowbrook Drive, a manhole overflowed at a rate of approximately 200 gallons per minute for approximately four hours, an estimated total of 48,000 gallons. Wastewater from this overflow entered Sugar Creek behind 2408 Meadowbrook Drive.
2) At 2422 Meadowbrook Drive, a manhole overflowed at a rate of approximately 200 gallons per minute for a period of approximately four hours, an estimated total of 48,000 gallons. Wastewater from this overflow entered Two Mile Branch behind 2422 Meadowbrook Drive.
3) A manhole overflowed at the intersection of College Street and Williams Street, in the vicinity of 212 East College Street, at a rate of approximately 25 gallons per minute for approximately four hours, a total of approximately 6,000 gallons. Wastewater from this overflow entered One Mile Branch at the Williams Street crossing.
4) At 1003 Ponderosa Drive, wastewater overflowed from a residential cleanout at a rate of approximately 80 gallons per minute for approximately nine hours, a total of approximately 27,000 gallons. Wastewater from this overflow entered the municipal stormwater system tributary to Knights Creek.
5) At 1423 Gornto Road, a manhole discharged approximately 75,000 gallons, which entered Sugar Creek downstream of the convergence with Two Mile Branch.
On the morning of Sept. 30, these sites were cleaned and lime was applied for disinfection and odor control. All requirements of the Rules and Regulations for Water Quality Control Chapter 391-3-6-.06 are being met. Upstream and downstream sampling for the major spills into Sugar Creek, Two Mile Branch, and Knights Creek also began the morning of Sept. 30.
For questions concerning this report, please contact Environmental Manager John Waite at (229) 259-3592 or email@example.com.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.