11 Year Old Fatally Shot by Her Brother

By: Associated Press Email
By: Associated Press Email

Dalton, GA - June 2, 2012

A Georgia sheriff says an 11-year-old girl was fatally shot by her brother as he was playing with a loaded handgun.

The Associated Press reports Cassie Culpepper was shot in the face late Friday as she rode with her brother and other children in the back of a pickup truck.

Whitfield Sheriff Scott Chitwood says the girl's 12-year-old brother told investigators he had sneaked a pistol with him and thought it was unloaded. Chitwood says the boy pointed the gun at his sister and pulled the trigger to scare her. Their mother was driving the truck.

The Georgia Bureau of Investigation is assisting the sheriff. Agent Jerry Scott says the death appears to be a "tragic accident."

• by Anonymous on Jun 7, 2012 at 12:27 PM
    "All nice people are completely harmless, and all gunowners are paranoid trigger-happy NRA loons who constantly shoot people and have sexual dysfunctions, " <--- you are an idiot. My husband has 9, keeps them UNloaded and NEVER points at anything he doesn't intend to EAT. Never kills a deer he won't spend 5 hours looking for before giving up. They are hidden where our daughter doesn't even know where they are. TEACH your kids about the dangers of guns and gun safety and they won't get so curious to try and learn on their own. My condolences to the family, this is just awful and heartbreaking.
  • by SNA on Jun 4, 2012 at 04:27 AM
    My condolences to the family and hope that at least one person somewhere will learn to properly secure their weapons.
  • by Chicken Gutz on Jun 3, 2012 at 12:32 PM
    Guns don't kill people, the children who steal them do. So long as we live in a sea of guns, these "accidents" will continue.
  • by Anonymous on Jun 3, 2012 at 07:01 AM
    That is horrible. I went to school with a Brad Culpepper? I am not sure if this is any relations but My prayers are with you. We were not friends but you show me an act of kindness one day and to this day I still remember it. 20 some years later. You were a good guy
  • by Sandy Location: Georgia on Jun 2, 2012 at 10:41 PM
    I live in a rural area and see a very lax attitude among children and adults with regards to guns. I think some of it stems from the fact that a lot of households hunt, and they think that since their kids have hunted as well that they "know" about guns. But kids are still just kids and do things without thinking. While I am not advocating punishing these parents (or the child for that matter) for something which has already cost them dearly, I cannot urge strongly enough that ALL households, regardless if kids have previously used guns in a safe manner in the past, lock up their firearms and ammunition whenever they are not being actively used under supervision. This kid should have never been able to "sneak" a handgun.
  • by Mindy Location: Tallahassee on Jun 2, 2012 at 06:22 PM
    Poor child and poor parents ): Imagine how that boy feels now. That's why you ALWAYS teach gun safety if you have children and guns. Simply telling them to leave them alone, or hiding them, is not enough. Teach them gun safety with "What if they DO find it?" in the back of your mind. My prayers are with this family.
      by chad on Jun 2, 2012 at 07:42 PM in reply to Mindy
      Well said.
        by Mindy on Jun 2, 2012 at 08:38 PM in reply to chad
        (: I have 4 and taught them all. First thing, don't touch it and go tell an adult you found it.
      by Sandy on Jun 2, 2012 at 10:47 PM in reply to Mindy
      I'm going to go the extra step and say even that isn't enough. Kids do things they aren't supposed to all of the time...even when they know what the consequence could be because they never think it (whatever "it" might be) will happen to them. In addition to all you say, I add that all firearms should be locked up. Not hidden...LOCKED. With a key or combo that only the parent knows or has access to. Kids know sex leads to babies...we still have teens getting pregnant everyday. I'm sure as anything that this child knew that guns kill, but he still treated it like a toy. Kids are amazing, but one of their best qualities, their innocence, is also their worst because it makes them believe that bad things couldn't possibly happen to them. That's why they have parents who are supposed to protect them, even from themselves.
        by anon on Jun 3, 2012 at 07:50 PM in reply to Sandy
        exactly, and sadly, this is the fault of the adults or of the owner of the gun. This poor young boy shouldn't be going through what he is going through because an adult should have done the right thing. I feel terribly for this family but mostly for that little boy who has to live with actions that should have been prevented by adults.
        by Anonymous on Jun 3, 2012 at 08:23 PM in reply to Sandy
        You will do more to reduce firearm deaths by turning off the TV and DVD player than by locking up your guns. As to using a tragedy as a "teaching moment", and telling something other people what they should do, I am pretty sure you will reduce deaths not even one unit...
      by Anonymous on Jun 4, 2012 at 08:13 AM in reply to Mindy
      Never teach your kids gun safety, it will just turn them into expert and competent gun handlers, who could not even imagine pointing any gun at something they did not intend to shoot. Such a thing might even disqualify them for Obamacare in later life. Self-defense is not for those who have children, it is just entirely too dangerous, especially way out in the country where there are no police. All nice people are completely harmless, and all gunowners are paranoid trigger-happy NRA loons who constantly shoot people and have sexual dysfunctions, anyway. Do like uh, er, Sandy says, and put them where even you can't get them, like disassembled and buried in the backyard at Grandma's house, until your children are old and gray. And why do I think that Sandy likely has neither guns nor children? Hmmm... I do not know why I think that, but would bet money that she does not have both, in any case.
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 156861545 - wctv.tv/a?a=156861545