After Rescuing Family, Mother Severely Burned in Fire - SLIDE SHOW

By: Eyewitness News Email
By: Eyewitness News Email

Meigs, Georgia - May 12, 2011 -

An apartment fire in Meigs, Georgia leaves a mother severely burned after she helped rescue her son and boyfriend. The fire happened around 10p.m. on May 11 at a local housing complex.

Investigators believe that the fire started after her 5-year-old son was playing with matches in his room before going to bed.

Witnesses at the scene said that they could hear someone screaming for help and that the apartment was engulfed in flames. The woman was able to rescue her boyfriend and son from the burning apartment, but suffered severe burns to her hands and back.

The woman was taken to Archbold Hospital, but was then lifeflighted to a burn center in Augusta. She is listed as being in stable condition.

Stay with WCTV for more on this story.


You must be logged in to post comments.

Username:
Password (case sensitive):
Remember Me:

Read Comments

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
  • by Dee Location: Quincy on May 13, 2011 at 06:14 AM
    children will get into things..Parents need to put up all things like that...God Bless her I hope she will be alright mentally and physically...you're not to blame sweetie..children are curious...my son set the field on fire behind our house one day so happen his older brother saw it and called the fire department in time, It could have got bad...Thank God and J.
  • by Anonymous Location: meigs,ga on May 12, 2011 at 06:59 PM
    yes she is a very nice, sweet and brave women i hope she has a full recovery. may god bless her and her family
  • by Sherry Location: Wewa on May 12, 2011 at 12:21 PM
    She is one brave mother/women, but I know I would do the same for my son. I hope she will be ok, but put up the matches so a five year old can't get to them. Yes, I know five year olds get into everything.
  • by Mom in Thomasville Location: Thomasville on May 12, 2011 at 11:48 AM
    This gave me chills reading it. As a younger child, my sister caught herself on fire playing with a lighter. My sister was wearing a tye-dyed shirt that was highly flammable (at the time we didn't know the shirts were flammable). My thoughts and prayers are with this family.
  • by Jasmine Location: Tallahassee on May 12, 2011 at 11:47 AM
    Lord bless her heart, thats a strong woman there to go in a burning building to save 2 lives, it shoulda been the other way around the boyfriend shoulda been the one doing that but god makes no mistakes! i pray for her full recovery in the name of jesus!
WCTV 1801 Halstead Blvd. Tallahassee, FL 32309
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 121719834 - wctv.tv/a?a=121719834
Gray Television, Inc.