$75 Million Loss in Georgia Crops

By: Donnitra Gilbert Email
By: Donnitra Gilbert Email

October 6, 2011 Thomasville

A study done by the Georgia Fruit and Vegetable Growers Association says the state's losses come from labor shortages.

Here's a breakdown of some of the losses -- blueberries totaled 29 million, bell peppers 15 million and nearly 2 million dollars was lost in squash.

Farmers are looking to use other resources to fill the gap in a labor shortage.

• by Louise Location: FL on Oct 7, 2011 at 05:03 AM
    They need to form a co-op and get H2-A labor to work their fields, however you have to pay more for that type of labor. Georgia needs to put all their unemployed welfare recipients out in the fields, if they so no, cut off their money.
  • by taltech Location: tallahassee on Oct 7, 2011 at 04:26 AM
    pls don't post my previous comment on china ordering pecans. i had not gotten correct info. thanks
  • by Jim Location: Tallahassee on Oct 6, 2011 at 08:42 PM
    I'd welcome the opportunity to work in the fields,I wouldn't mind the long hours of labor. It would strengthen the body,mind and soul. I've tried contacting some of the farmers to no avail. I'd work for next to nothing just for the experience. I know I could perform well. Is the prerequisite to work in the fields to be Hispanic. I am an older caucasian male who doesn't mind intensive work. I speak,read and write Spanish fluently, however, I guess that ability makes me even less qualified? I'd really enjoy working in the fields 12 hours a day so give me a call if you would,please.
  • by izitjustme? Location: Fargo on Oct 6, 2011 at 04:35 PM
    That study does not include the devastation of the cannabis harvest by Echol Co. Law enforcement. Each plot they eradicate is worth millions according to them.
  • by Old Soldier Location: South GA on Oct 6, 2011 at 03:53 PM
    Seems to me that the people who are getting food stamps and other assistance from the state and federal goverment ought to volunteer to go to work out in the fields. I don't mean the elderly but I am sure that they would if they could...
  • by john Location: tally on Oct 6, 2011 at 03:24 PM
    Try recruiting in Alabama, they're anti-immigrant law just went into effect.
  • by jack Location: T- ga. on Oct 6, 2011 at 03:18 PM
    well,,if the farmers lost this year,,,less wait and see how many new 4 door,4 wheel drive trucks are brought ,,and how many kids get new trucks and cars.. just like always ....lose money but new trucks, cars and homes ..
  • by Death Star on Oct 6, 2011 at 03:03 PM
    And the list of jobs Americans think themselves too good to do grows and grows...
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 131287749 - wctv.tv/a?a=131287749