[UPDATE] Cairo High School Naval JROTC Program in Jeopardy

By: Matt Galka Email
By: Matt Galka Email

Cairo, GA -- June 05, 2012 --

The Navy has decided to keep Cario High School's Naval JROTC Program.

In March of 2012, the program was one of 29 that the Navy had slated to shut down due to budget cuts. Thanks to some hard work by Congressman Sanford Bishop in Washington, Cairo's program was the only one of the 29 that the Navy decided to reverse it's decision on.

"There was this sense in the community that it was going to go away, and I'm glad you guys are here just to get the word back out that the program is alive and well and it's going to keep going," said LCDR Alex Baker, the high school's Senior Naval Science instructor.

The prgoram won the most trophies of it's 12 year history in 2012. 127 cadets are signed up for the upcoming school year, the largest class to date.
__________________________________

Cairo, GA -- March 13, 2012 --

Cairo High School Senior Deldreck Smith was a self-described bad apple before the Naval J-R-O-T-C.
Deldreck says he owes a lot to the program which is now in danger of being shut down.

"I was a social outcast, it made me who I am today, it taught me leadership, it made me fit in just as it has numerous cadets here, and it gave me a home away from home when I needed it," said Smith.

In 2011, the program failed to meet the required 100 cadets for the first time in 12 years. They only had 81. Usually this would mean probation and one year to fix it, but instead the Navy decided to cut them for budget concerns.

Today, the program surpasses the 100 member requirement with 116. Now, Congressman Sanford Bishop is making their case in Washington.

"It is my hope that we will be successful, that this program will continue, because it does so much good and it brings so much pride and it certainly enhances the future of our nation," said Congressman Bishop.

Congressman Bishop has asked the Navy to review their decision. That request has been granted, but there is no timetable of when they'll come to a resolution. Smith is still holding on to hope that the program that changed his life, will continue to be around to change the lives of others.

"This unit and this program has shaped and molded so many good things...it makes you just a better citizen."

• by cairo khid Location: cairo on Mar 19, 2012 at 08:33 AM
    i really thank chs should keep the njrotc program. i am apart of this program and i am really dedicated to the program. i have always thought about going to the navy or air force. i really hope sanford bishop makes a change for cairo high school njrotc.
  • by cairo khid Location: cairo on Mar 19, 2012 at 08:33 AM
  • by TiKi Location: Cairo on Mar 14, 2012 at 08:41 AM
    I am a cadet at Cairo High NJROTC, and a proud one at that. This program has helped form who I am now. I don't know where I would be if I had not joined this NJROTC program. It builds cadets, and helps them towards meeting their full potential. I know I am not alone when I say that I love this program, and am extremely grateful for Congressman Bishop and the help he is providing our Unit.
  • by Bubba on Mar 14, 2012 at 08:36 AM
    A great program for our youth that deserves your support.
  • by Doreen Location: Cairo on Mar 14, 2012 at 05:50 AM
    The CHS NJROTC has been a godsend for my son. He is a freshman and has thoroughly dedicated himself to the program. It keeps him focused and diciplined in all aspects of his life. I pray that the program continues for the sake of the many young men & women who need a positive direction in their lives.
  • by Cairo man Location: Cairo on Mar 14, 2012 at 04:03 AM
    They need to keep this program around but Sandford Biship could really care less as this is just a photo shoot to him. I'd like him to get busy lowering gas prices for a change!
  • by CPT on Mar 13, 2012 at 06:36 PM
    I went through Leadership Development and made it to Military Science II. Too bad, because in smaller populated towns these programs are needed. It can teach, and no disrespect intended, things that these kids might not receive from the community.
  • by Charles Location: Reeves on Mar 13, 2012 at 04:37 PM
    The NJROTC is my home to and i would not want to give it up for the world and so does the other cadets. I would not have found a better program then the NJROTC. The NJROTC and the cadets are family to me and to others to. There are people that come up to me and ask me is the NJROTC closing and i said no because the cairo high school has our back when the navy would not support us next year and would not fund us. there are people that are not in NJROTC that care about this program and would help the program at anytime. you see we cadets care about this program and so does the people. i would not have found my future with out the program and so with the others. Im a cadet that cares. Im PO2 Charles Douglas Reeves
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 142540485 - wctv.tv/a?a=142540485