Clipping Coupons 101

By: Donnitra Gilbert Email
By: Donnitra Gilbert Email

Meet Kim Weckwert. This former beauty queen is now the reigning "Everyday Coupon Queen."

"The stores I shop in whenever I go in they say 'here comes the coupon queen,'" says Weckwert.

"I usually save $10,000 or better each year so that's a pretty good lick right there," says Weckwert.
________________________________

________________________________

Stockpile after stockpile and one more stockpile you can tell this queen has skills at the register.

Some check-out clerks know her on a first-name basis.

" Kim come to my register 'I want to see how much you're gonna save today,'" says Weckwert.

While others.

"You just opened a can of worms. Some cringe when they see me coming," says Weckwert.

The mother of three and her husband are prominent business owners in Thomasville, but tough economic times turned Wreckwert to couponing.

"With the recession coming on, food prices getting higher and we're in the real estate so, of course, it hit us harder than most," says Weckwert.

Weckwert says many think that coupons represent poverty, but in reality those who are frugal with their money are allotted more disposable income. Though the queen doesn't share her reigning title, she does share coupon skills with many.

"I started a Facebook group called the Coupon Connection and out of that it kept growing," says Wreckwert.
_________________________________

_________________________________

In fact, the number of members started at 30 and has since jumped to 100.

Weckwert teaches classes all over South Georgia showing women and men the skills they need to cut grocery bills and financial stress.

"I saw how valuable it was to my life and how it helped my family and I wanted others to experience the same thing," says Weckwert.

The cost of the class is 15 dollars and includes a policy handbook and a cute little bag with all the tips one needs to become a successful couponer. Once students have completed the class, Weckwert prepares them for graduation at a local grocery store.

"I learned a lot. I learned how to stack coupons and save a lot of money," says student Bobby Brown.

These grads aren't suited in caps and gowns, they're armed with coupons, and a book full of policies. All of the students follow Wreckwert around for an out-of-the-classroom hands-on experience.

"I have two children. I have to learn this to teach them they can start while they are young," says student Tracy Smith.

Students say they saved 60 to 70 percent after their first round of shopping.

Weckwert says couponing doesn't have to take over your life unless you get behind.

"The other day I had not couponed for three weeks. I had not cut one coupon," says Wreckwert.

So Weckwert cut our interview short and put me to work.

"Girl, get to cutting those coupons," says Wreckwert.

According to Weckwert and her students, a little couponing can go a long way.

"I have a very busy job, but I'm going to set aside time to do this," says Smith.

• by Malone Tuten Location: Cairo, Ga on Jul 1, 2011 at 11:01 PM
    Thanks to The Everyday Coupon Queen, I have saved a LOT of money on my grocery bills! Normally I would spend (easily) $100. per week. I am NOW walking out of the store each week with $140. worth of products for $25.00 - $35.00! With my husband only getting paid once a month and me being a stay at home mom, this has helped us in a MAJOR way! Thanks WCTV for exposing us to her!! Keep it coming.
  • by Carol Location: Deltona, Fl on May 11, 2011 at 02:10 PM
    Kim is my hero!!! I never gave coupons a second thought until I found Kim's website. Now,I am a clipping machine! Kim works so diligently to post deals so we can get the best possible price on the items we need and some we may not need, but can donate to shelters or charities. I also really enjoyed watching the WCTV segment on couponing. Since I do not live near Kim, and can not personally take her class, it was great being able to watch and hear what she had to say. Thanks Kim and WCTV for helping to spread the word that coupons are not just invaluable pieces of paper...they are money in your pocket☺
  • by Melindy Location: Cairo on May 9, 2011 at 08:29 PM
    Kim is wonderful and is so helpful when it comes to helping you learn how to save money, and with the economy like it is now, we all need to save all the money we can. I would love to see more of her on WCTV, because I need all the help I can get saving money, and I am sure that I am not alone when it comes to wanting to learn how to save more money, her being on there to give us weekly tips would be amazing!
  • by Anonymous on May 9, 2011 at 08:10 AM
    I really hope WCTV makes this a weekly segment. I think more people would benefit from saving money than some of the other segments that are being aired. In this tight economy, we all need to learn to be frugal!! Thanks WCTV for "Clipping Coupons 101" and thanks Kim for helping others learn to save. Can't wait to learn more.
  • by Crystal Location: Cairo, GA on May 9, 2011 at 07:58 AM
    I find Kim very helpful! I have taken one class and need to take another one to get the hang of it better! Being in a family of five and the economy the way it is I need to save all the money I can!! I think Kim is awesome for what she does!
  • by Shelia Location: Bainbridge on May 9, 2011 at 07:43 AM
    I love the segment on the WCTV.. It was great. I have just taken the class. I need to take it again. I am having a hard time finding the coupons. But the segment was really helpful.
  • by Amanda Location: Cairo, GA on May 7, 2011 at 08:17 PM
    I just have to say how VALUABLE Kim is. She has put so much dedication and effort to helping others save money. I have taken her class and it is so beneficial. She is very quick to answer questions and gets just as excited as you do when you save money! I went on my first "real" shopping trip at a local store and only did about 30 minutes of prep work and saved 48%. I can't wait to get my savings higher! THANK YOU KIM A/K/A EVERYDAY COUPON QUEEN!!!
  • by wdyoung Location: Tallahassee on May 7, 2011 at 05:34 AM
    Pop Pop, glad you posted that. I searched but didn't find it at first. Thanks!
  • by Saving on May 6, 2011 at 08:46 PM
    To Max: I agree, that is why our group that has learned under The Everyday Coupon Queen is not like that. That is not normal savings.
  • by MGD on May 6, 2011 at 08:42 PM
    How can we see Kim's interview she did on the Live at Five broadcast? We would like to see that too!
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 121396369 - wctv.tv/a?a=121396369