Despite Fire, Local YMCA is Open for Business

By: Caroline Gonzmart Email
By: Caroline Gonzmart Email

A local community center is investigating an early morning fire.

The director of the Everett Milton Y-M-C-A in Thomasville says fire damaged the walls, floor and ceiling of the facility's gym Tuesday morning (11/2).

The fire was discovered when an employee was unlocking doors at the start of business just a short while later.

Staff say they are thankful no one was in the building during the incident.

We're very fortunate that it happened overnight, at an hour when no members were in the building, and certainly no children were in the building," says branch director, Tom Everett.

Everett says a portable box fan found in the gym is believed to have started the blaze. An investigator will be arriving tomorrow (11/4) to provide more details about the exact cause of the fire.

The Y says the gym will be closed until further notice, but all other parts of the center are up and running.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WCTV 1801 Halstead Blvd. Tallahassee, FL 32309
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 106649009 - wctv.tv/a?a=106649009