Family Mourns Loss of Loved One Killed in Stabbing

By: Caroline Gonzmart Email
By: Caroline Gonzmart Email

A Decatur County man is dead after being stabbed in the chest early Sunday morning (3/13).

Family and friends are mourning the death of 31-year-old Trevix Clemons, also known as Kenta Campbell, after a disagreement turned deadly.

Says a family member, "We're sad it had to happen like this -- but he will be missed."

Adding to the family's grief are the circumstances surrounding Clemons' death -- his great-aunt had been buried just hours earlier when deputies say a friend, Roderick Smith, showed up at a family gathering and fatally stabbed the victim in the chest following a disagreement.

Lawrence Sapp owns the property where the stabbing happened, but says he wasn't present when things took a turn for the worst.

Says Sapp, "Everybody's down, feeling bad about what happened because we just buried my mother ... and then my cousin just got killed."

Smith is charged with felony murder -- but family members say his arrest won't bring "Kenta" back.

Says Clemons' aunt, Pearl Campbell, "He was a really nice person, and everybody loved him."

His best friend, John Gibson reflects, "I pray for him ... that's the only thing I can do."

Now family members say his death should not be in vain, and they're using it as an example of why people need to put their differences aside and get along.

Another family friend explained, "To all the young men out there, you know, with the violence, try to come together and start loving each other, instead of hurting each other."

Clemons leaves behind a son and daughter -- children who, his family says, will carry on their father's legacy of kindness and caring.

• by Mrs. scott Location: Gretna on Mar 18, 2011 at 01:10 PM
    I only knew Kente for a little while and he was kool dude to be around. God be with he family keep your heads up God got everything in control. Those beautiful kids wont have anything to worry about God got their back! R.I.P KENTE MIKE AND MOONK
  • by marasia taylor Location: fort lauderdale on Mar 16, 2011 at 04:35 PM
    kente will be missed he was like a brother to me and every time i came to visit he made sure to come and see his girl bam bam i will always hold a place in my heart for my brother kente gone to soon.but will never be forgoten.
  • by NIKOLE TAYLOR Location: TALLAHASSEE on Mar 15, 2011 at 08:30 PM
    HEART GOES OUT TO THE CAMPBELL FAMILY (KENTA) YOU WHERE LIKE A BROTHER TO ME. I LOVE YOU AND WILL MISS YOU. THE TAYLOR FAMILY.
  • by Anonymous Location: GA on Mar 15, 2011 at 08:28 PM
    My prayers are with Kenta Family May God be with you all I pray that someone take the hands of his kids cause he truely love his girl and boy that is his pride and joy and I know Kenta from school he was a very cool person and loved to see everybody getting along having fun he might bugged the hell out of you but that was his love. I know Kenta you are now gone to a much better place and God knows best he make no mistake. RIP Kenta love ya
  • by gordon Location: atp on Mar 15, 2011 at 04:55 PM
    My prayers are with kenta family,especially those kids that has to grow up without a dad that loved them dearly. Rest in peace Kentae
  • by Mary Location: Tally on Mar 15, 2011 at 01:37 PM
    I'll be the voice of desention. Some friend. And what up with 2 names?
  • by Anonymous on Mar 15, 2011 at 05:19 AM
    GOD I want to know why this happened. We were just through buring my aunt - and then this. People...knives, weapons, firearms etc don't make you look "bad" or "scare" people, but they can actually be used to kill somebody. If you stab somebody or shoot somebody its an act of violence and hurt but the thing most don't realize is they are never coming back...why make the family suffer over a simple disagreement and then get shot...Kenta you will be missed.
  • by Teresa100000731903128 Location: bainbridge on Mar 14, 2011 at 11:58 PM
    Kenta,you will be truly miss..
  • by Anonymous Location: Bainbridge on Mar 14, 2011 at 09:09 PM
    Kenta will be missed by many.......I can recall our last conversation, and he loved his children dearly......may he rest in peace.....
  • by Anonymous on Mar 14, 2011 at 08:38 PM
    Cuzzo missing you but you will never be forgotten.
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 117969044 - wctv.tv/a?a=117969044