Water War Heats Up Between Florida and Georgia

By: Associated Press
By: Associated Press

Atlanta, GA (AP) - A resurgence of the endangered fat threeridge
mussel in the Apalachicola River could give Florida more legal
leverage in a water dispute with neighboring Georgia.

U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service scientists plan to issue a new
report Aug. 1 that investigates the effects of water flow on the
endangered fat threeridge mussel.

In September, scientists reported finding mussels at elevations
higher than expected in a 2008 report that helped the U.S. Army
Corps of Engineers, which operates a dam, decide how much water it
should release into the river. The scientists said last year that
they found many dead mussels when the water level dropped.

An appeals court earlier rejected Florida's argument that its
needs more water to protect endangered and threatened species. The state of Florida has appealed.

(Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)


You must be logged in to post comments.

Username:
Password (case sensitive):
Remember Me:

Read Comments

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
  • by nature lover Location: ga on Jun 1, 2011 at 08:59 PM
    we need a mussel task force funded by the taxpayers. HEAR WE GO AGAIN MAN IS GOING TO SAVE THE MUSSELS. WE HUMANS KEEP POLUTING THE EARTH AN WE WILL BE EATING DIRT FOR DINNER.
  • by Rhonda Location: Thomasville on Jun 1, 2011 at 07:10 PM
    but i really dig peanuts and cotton.
    • reply
      by Thom on Jun 2, 2011 at 06:43 AM in reply to Rhonda
      It is not peanuts and cotton that are the real problem. It is uncontrolled developement and population expansion in the Atlanta region. They want everyone down-stream, in GA and FL, to suffer for their profits and prosperity.
  • by steve Location: tall on Jun 1, 2011 at 06:49 PM
    i find the shellfish and seafood better than peanuts and cotton.. just playing, but lets not hurt the rivers that feed into the Gulf.
    • reply
      by Steve Marietta, Ga. on Jun 2, 2011 at 09:12 AM in reply to steve
      [Florida resident] I have said it before, and I will say it again: I have no sympathy for the citizens of Georgia. For thirty years, these empty mines should have, could have become massive water reserves, but stupid politicians had always planned to take from the people of Florida. No 2 ways about it! I have been watching this, for 50 years. Florida Native...Borne in Apalachicola, Florida...Been watching this unfold, for 50 years! Suck-it-up, Georgia! Those old holes in the ground (mines) are-still empty!
      • reply
        by Rich on Jul 27, 2011 at 07:56 PM in reply to Steve Marietta, Ga.
        You can't expect a reservior that only catches 7% of the basin to support river flows in the remaining 93%. Besides, only 5% of water withdrawls from Lanier go to water supply. The remaining is discharged downstream.
WCTV 1801 Halstead Blvd. Tallahassee, FL 32309
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 122990348 - wctv.tv/a?a=122990348
Gray Television, Inc.