GA Bikers May Now Have the Green Light

By: Donnitra Gilbert Email
By: Donnitra Gilbert Email

If the house passes a bill it will allow bikers to treat red lights like stop signs.

Reports show that after a biker waits 60 seconds to check traffic they can proceed.

Bikers argue the fact that the sensors aren't picking up on bikers causing them to be stuck at the red lights.

"When the traffic starts they should go with the traffic and not against the traffic because someone could get hit and then they'll try and sue,"
said Thomasville Resident Stephanie Johnson.

Officers said going against a red light causes more potential for an accident especially if you don't have the right of way.

• by teto Location: leon on Mar 2, 2011 at 11:43 PM
    yep a dyson requires work.
  • by Pat Location: Cairo on Mar 2, 2011 at 07:09 AM
    TETO- yep, chicks don't really dig a Dyson! Also, it appears that a law governing this will also apply to cyclist. Perhaps Florida has better technology, but in the great state of Georgia lights rarely change for a bike if there's not a car behind you to trigger the sensor.
  • by Anonymous on Mar 2, 2011 at 06:02 AM
    Weight sensors are largely a thing of the past. Modern sensors use electrical current loops and a motorcycle will have no problem tripping the current loop.
  • by smarty pants on Mar 2, 2011 at 05:27 AM
    sensors generally sense the metal in your vehicle, not the weight.
  • by dogtired on Mar 2, 2011 at 05:18 AM
    I rarely seen a traffic light fail to recognize my bike. The few times I HAVE experienced this, I have either pulled off to the right shoulder of the road and gone on OR... when there's a road to the right, I have turned right onto that road and made a U-turn. Then it's just a matter of making that next right turn and rolling on down the road. I will go out of my way NOT to run lights... never know when John Law is lurking in the bushes waiting.
  • by old biker Location: thomasville on Mar 1, 2011 at 09:30 PM
    i have been riding motorcycles for over 40 years. of those 40 yrs i have spent about 10 of those yrs "waiting" on the green light. it is extremely rare to find a traffic light sensor that would acknowledge my bike. i have actually sat through 6 to 8 light changes and then said the heck with it and "CAREFULLY" went on my way. even cars are being built lighter these days. what are their drivers going to do when their car is to light to set off the road sensors?........ either way, it's past time GDOT does something about this. it ain't illegal to be a biker and we do have the same laws to follow as the other vehicles. bikers has rights too.
  • by teto Location: leon on Mar 1, 2011 at 06:12 PM
    pat--do you know the difference between a harley and a vacum cleaner?
  • by Pat Location: Cairo on Mar 1, 2011 at 02:50 PM
    WOW!! I didn't know that when I'm stuck at a light on my Harley because the sensor doesn't pick it, I CAN GO and not be ticketed. Can't wait to try it out because none of the lights in Cairo can sense a motorcycle. GREAT INFO!
  • by chuck Location: valdosta, Ga. on Mar 1, 2011 at 02:39 PM
    As a biker , I have waited at traffic lights for many minutes because the sensors do not respond to my bike. I am sure no biker would run a red light with traffic coming and die on purpose. 2buckchuck
  • by tax payer Location: ga on Mar 1, 2011 at 01:59 PM
    we need a gov. funded bike redlight task forse.
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 117193288 - wctv.tv/a?a=117193288