[UPDATE] Valdosta, Georgia- July 30, 2012
Election officials say they are expecting a strong turnout in Tuesday's Georgia Primary Election. Early voting in Lowndes County this year was twice what it was in the 2008 Election.
The one big issue driving voters to the polls and dividing them is TSPLOST, a referendum for a new transportation sales tax. It will be voted on by 12 regions in Georgia.
Valdosta Mayor John Gayle says TSPLOST is just what South Georgia needs.
"It's a way of taxing the people a fair tax that will provide us with the money we need to make the kinds of additions we need here in Valdosta," said Mayor Gayle.
But others disagree. Gretchen Quarterman is running for Chair of the Lowndes County Commission. She says there are better ways to improve transportation.
"If we had a bus system or a train system or an upgrade to our airport, those would be projects which would be beneficial to all people in our community and in fact the whole entire region," said Quarterman.
Estimates show if TSPLOST passes it will cost the average voter $127 per year. The tax lasts for ten years, so that's $1,200 out of pocket.
But Teresa Elwell, who drives in Lowndes County frequently, says the roads are so bad that it is worth it.
"It's terrible, we travel from Florida everyday and I play on my tablet on the way home and I always tell my husband we must be in Georgia now because I can't play my game anymore," Elwell said.
"I think they should keep their hands out of our pockets because raising taxes isn't going to help the people at all. I think it's a bad, bad idea," said Georgia voter Megan Hughes.
The polls are open from 7 am to 7 pm Tuesday.
Stay with Eyewitness News throughout the day Tuesday for our live election day coverage on-air, on-line and on your mobile devices.
- - - LIST OF TSPLOST PROJECTS - - -
According to the "Connect Georgia 2012" website, voting will be divided among 12 regions. Region 10 includes Thomasville. Region 11 includes Valdosta.
- - - Region 10 Project List - - -
• Cordrays Pond Bridges – Maintenance
• Manry St. and Adkins Ave. Resurfacing
• Ellenton-Omega Rd. (CR486) Bridge 071-01745F MP 6.69N
• Ellenton-Omega Rd. (CR486) Bridge 071-01745F MP 6.80N
• Ellenton-Omega Rd. (CR486) Bridge 071-01745F MP 7.05N
• Spence Field Airport-Runway 14/32 Extention and Improvements
• SR 133 Widening from South of SR 35/US 319 to North of Colquitt County Line
• SR 33/US 319 at SR 33 Intersection Improvement – Roundabout
• SR 37/CR 238 Intersection Improvements – Roundabout in Moultrie
• SR 37 Widening/Reconstruction West from SR 111 to City Limits
• CR 14 – Butler Ferry Rd. Resurfacing
• CR 208 – College Rd.
• CR 208/Whigham Dairy Rd. Widening/Reconstruction from SR 38 to SR 97
• CR 402 – Faceville/Attapulgus Rd.
• Commodore One Rail Extension
• Commodore Industrial Park Connectivity Route
• Bainbridge Public Transit and Ride Share Parking
• Clark Ave Extension – Jefferson St. to Maple St.
• Ledo Rd. Widening
• Old Dawson Rd. 3 – Ln. Widening
• Southwest Georgia Regional Airport New Aviation Terminal and Hangar Improvements
• SR 133 Widening
• SR 520/Clark Ave Improvements
• Westover Blvd. Extension/Liberty Expressway Underpass
• SR 370 Shoulder Widening/Resurfacing
• 4th St. NW/SW Improvements
• Cairo-Grady County Airport Runway Extension and Improvements
• S. Broad St. Resurface/ Curb & Gutter/ Sidewalk in Cairo
• SR 112 Bridge Replacement at Sapp Creek
• US Hwy. 84/SR 38 Sidewalk Improvements in Cairo
• Old Hwy. 179 North (Reclamation and Widening)
• 5th St./Hwy. 93 South Turn Lane
• Forrester Pkwy. Improvements and Extension
• Kinchafoonee Creek Rd. Extension
• Main St. (SR 32) Sidewalk Facility
• SR 118 @ Muckaloochee Creek Bridge Replacement
• SR 195 Pedestrian/Bicycle Improvements
• SR 32 Relocation/Re-route
• Starkesville Ave. Improvements
• Westover Blvd. Extension
• Branchville Rd. (CR 23 & 31) Pavement Widening and Resurfacing
• Grady-Thomas County Line Rd. Pavement Shoulder and Resurfacing Project
• Greenough Rd. (CR 275) Shoulder Pavement Widening and Resurfacing Project
• Old SR 3 Shoulder Widening and Resurfacing Project
• Whigham Rd. at Big Slough – Bridge Replacement
• Shoulder Widening and Reconstruction of Mid County Connector Road from US 19 to SR 112
• Runway Rehabilitation and Reopening at Donalsonville Municipal Airport
• Hwy. 91 South Shoulder Widening and Resurfacing (9 mi. approx)
• Dawson Pedestrian Safety Facilities
• Shoulder Pavement Widen on Warner Rd. (CR 178)
• Widen Callis Rd. Shoulder between SR 32 and SR 118
• County Line Rd. – Turn Lanes
• Egg and Butter Rd. – Bridge Replacements
• Jackson St. Sidewalk Improvements
• Remington Ave Widening and Multi-Use Path
• Stewart Rd. Intersection Improvements
• Thomas County Transit and Bus System Complex
• Thomasville Municipal Airport Runway Extension and Improvements
• Airport Rd. Bridge Replacement
• Pinetree Blvd. Improvements
• Jackson St. and Pinetree Blvd. Turn Lane
• South Pinetree (Widening/Curb/Gutter and Sidewalk)
• East Pinetree (Widening/Curb/Gutter)
• Summerhill Rd. (Widening and Bridge Repair)
• Davis Mill Rd. Bridge Replacement
• P.T. Salter Rd. (CR 164) Shoulder Pavement Widening and Paving
• Whiddon Mill Rd. Bridge Replacement
• Martin Luther King, Jr. Improvements (Sidewalk-Curb and Gutter)
• Monroe St./SR 313 Improvements (Sidewalks-Curb and Gutter)
- - - Region 11 Project List - - -
• City of Willacoochee New Access Rd. to Industrial Park
• Widen SR 89/US 441 from CR 101/Clinch to SR 520 in Pearson/Atkinson
• Bacon County Airport Terminal
• CR 327 Big Satilla Creek Bridge Replacement
• SR 4 Alt/SR 4/Floyd St. Intersection Realignment
Ben Hill County
• Bridge Replacement Perry House Rd. at Willacoochee Creek Structure ID# 017-0020-0
• SR 107 Fitzgerald Widening: Ben Hill County/Fitzgerald Perimeter (SW Loop)
• Improvements to Fire Tower Rd.
• Nashville – Enigma Rd. Resurfacing
• Old Valdosta Rd. Resurfacing/Widening
• CR 50/Caney Bay Rd. at Buffalo Creek Bridge Replacement
• SR 23 at Little Buffalo Creek 7 mi. South of Nahunta
• SR 32 at Little Satilla River Overflow Bridge Maintenance
• Industrial Park Rail Spur
• Widening of SR 133 in Brooks & Colquitt Counties
• Bridge over Long Branch on Ralph Davis Rd. CR #52
• Widening of SR 40 from Kingsland to Folkston
• SR 38/US84 from Woodyard Creek to West of Greasy Creek
• SR 89/US 441 from Orange St. in Homerville to CR 101/Cowart Rd.
• Bridge replacement SR 158 Satilla River 12 mi. west of Douglas
• Harvey Vickers Rd. Widening
• Paving Bud Hutcheson/Chaney Rd. between SR 32 and SR 158
• US 441 from 4-Lane section in Douglas through Broxton
• Widening of SR 135 from SR 31/US 441 East to SR 32 (including RR separation)
• Widening of SR 32 from City Limits of Douglas to CR 296
• Construction of Alabama Rd. from SR 37 to Old Quitman Rd.
• Intersection Improvement: SR 37 at SR 76 Roundabout
• Intersection at US Hwy. 94 and State Route 135
• CR 252/Frank Rd. @ Willacoochee River Overflow Bridge Replacement
• CR 252/Frank Rd. at Willacoochee River Bridge Replacement
• Smith Dairy Rd. Paving
• Construction of St Augustine Road Overpass
• Country Club Drive Widening - Jerry Jones Road to North Valdosta Road
• Jerry Jones Improvements
• Five Points Intersection in Valdosta Improvements
• Forrest Street Widening - Park Avenue to Bemiss Road
• Georgia and Florida Railway (GFRR) - Valdosta to Willacoochee Rehabilitation
• I-75 at CR 27/Lake Park-Bellville Road Interchange Improvements - Exit 2
• I-75 at SR 31 Interchange Replacement - Exit 11
• Lake Park Bellville Road Widening and Realignment Project
• Oak St Widening: Five Points to Cherry Creek Rd
• Old Clyattville Road Widening from I-75 to Ousley Road
• Old US 41 Widening from SR 7 to Union Road
• St Augustine at Norman Intersection Improvements
• St Augustine Road at Gornto Road Intersection Improvements
• Little Hurricane Creek Bridge replacement
• Pavement/Shoulder Widening of Midway Church Road from St. John`s Church Road to SR 121
• Southwest Central Avenue Extension
• Passing Lanes and improvements on SR 35 from SR 520/Tift to SR 32/Irwin
• Construction of South Tifton Bypass
• CR 407/Old Ocillia Rd. Widening from SR 125 North to CR 18
• Gorday Dr./Hudson Ave. and SR 112 Intersection Redesign
• Turner County Airport: Apron Expansion, Access Rd., and Perimeter Fencing Improvements
• Manor-Millwood Widening (US 84 to US 82)
• SR 38/US84 from Greasy Branch CK to east of CR 294/Wadley Rd.
• SR 4/US 1 Bus. CSX Grade Separation in Waycross
• Waycross East Bypass (Northern Section-PHASE I)
• Widen and Improve City Blvd., Coral Rd. and Morningside Dr.
Info for any other region can be found on the Connect Georgia 2012 website at the following link.
- Valdosta, Ga. - July 30, 2012 -
In less than 24 hours, voters will line up at the polls throughout Georgia including in Thomas and Lowndes Counties. July 31 is the Primary Election.
Election officials tell Eyewitness News that they are expecting a very strong turnout tomorrow. Early voting in Lowndes County was twice what it was in the 2008 Election.
Almost 5,000 people voted early in Lowndes County this year. That's about 8% of the counties 60,000 registered voters. Republican voters are showing strength in numbers. So far, 3,400 Republicans have voted in Lowndes, 1,500 Democrats and 88 Independents.
Of course, the primary narrows down the field so there will only be one candidate left in each race. The winners will be decided in November. One contentious issue driving voters to the polls and dividing them is a controversial regional transportation sales tax called T-SPLOST. If passed, it will raise sales tax by one cent on the dollar for each region that votes for it for fund construction projects.
Polls are going to be open from 7am to 7pm.
Be sure to join us tomorrow as we keep you updated all day long and bring you the results of each race.