Georgia House OKs Marking Licenses of Violent Felons

By: Associated Press
By: Associated Press

Atlanta, GA (AP) - The House has approved legislation that would allow for a code to be placed on the driver's licenses of felons showing they'd been convicted of certain violent crimes.

The measure passed 97-46 on Thursday.

The bill was watered down from an earlier version that would have stamped "Convicted Felon" on the licenses of all felons out on probation. The new bill applies only to those convicted of the so-called seven deadly sins, such as murder and rape. The code would remain in place for the length of their sentence.

Supporters say it would help protect law enforcement by alerting
them that they're dealing with a violent criminal.

Opponents argue it could lead to discrimination against those with the code on their license.
----------
House Bill 91: www.legis.ga.gov

• by Surprise Location: leon county on Mar 11, 2011 at 07:25 AM
    To "Is this real" below. (P- One) ... Good response. (cool)
  • by why not on Mar 11, 2011 at 07:17 AM
    sounds good to me!! convicted felons should have to live with the embarrassment of others knowing they were violent offenders. disrespect others' rights--> lose your own. Florida does have something along these lines: that last number on your DL counts for how many felonies you've been convicted of. Most of our DL# end in -0. Proud to be a law-abiding citizen!! No sympathy for violent felons!!
  • by another possible view Location: tally on Mar 11, 2011 at 05:54 AM
    Warden: congratulations citizen #65894725558, you have served your time. State Employee Drivers license Clerk: congratulations citizen #65894725558, you have been convicted for the rest of your life.
  • by dog Location: gone on Mar 11, 2011 at 05:26 AM
    Listen up FL. a GOOD Idea.
  • by IsthisReal Location: Tally on Mar 11, 2011 at 04:49 AM
    WWII Era German Pastor Martin Niemoller First They came... First they came for the communists, and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a communist. Then they came for the trade unionists, and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a trade unionist. Then they came for the Jews, and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Jew. Then they came for me and there was no one left to speak out for me.
  • by Surprise Location: leon county on Mar 11, 2011 at 04:01 AM
    Sounds OK right? Camel getting his smelly nose under the tent again bummer. The Fed.'s have gave the states these rights that ammounts to a "National I.D. Card? that they? "the Fed. by law cant do" so when in the state of Florida and other states - your gonna be in for a treat when you try to renew your drivers permit and other things that has nothing to do with driving your car. 1984 is here folks.
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 117778514 - wctv.tv/a?a=117778514