Georgia Man Charged After Baby Attacked by Raccoons

By: Associated Press
By: Associated Press

Covington, GA (AP) - Authorities have filed charges against the
father of a baby attacked by raccoons.

Authorities tell The Atlanta Journal-Constitution that
35-year-old Michael Wayne Cannon had raised the animals as pets
since June, even bottle feeding them.

Newton County Sheriff's Lt. Tyrone Oliver says the raccoons
often entered the Covington home through open windows and side
panels of window air conditioning units.

The 9-month-old girl was attacked in her crib Nov. 3 while her
mother was in the same room. She spent 12 days in the hospital for
serious injuries.

Oliver says the Department of Natural Resources has charged
Cannon with holding and possessing game species without game
holding permit and unlawful possession or use of wildlife.

A woman who answered the phone at Cannon's home said they had no comment.

Cannon was released from the Newton County jail on $2,000 bond.

(Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

• by any Location: here on Nov 21, 2010 at 01:57 PM
    Those animals should have been in a cage or something! I raised Dobermans, but when I had my first child, I knew I had to get rid of them, because they had not been raised around children and I knew I did not want to put my child in harms way, or even take that chance that something might happen. It is common sense people and whomever was at fault needs to be charged and monitored be the department of childrens services. Just to make sure they dont make anymore stupid decisions regarding the childs safety..
  • by Anonymous on Nov 20, 2010 at 05:58 AM
    I have a child who is nine months and I don't even allow cats or dogs in my house. Until he is able to defend himself from an animal, I don't want them near him. I understand they are safer but my friend kept a dog that attacked her 4 yr old and she had 152 stitches afterward. So yea thats my take on it! Its ok to have pets and all, but you have to be able to monitor them and I don't have time for it. And wild pets are wild for a reason!
  • by trey Location: tallahasee on Nov 19, 2010 at 08:15 PM
    @Danu...You obviously have the same mentality as the parents. DUMB
  • by SHANER on Nov 19, 2010 at 12:08 PM
    I advise to watch the show "Fatal Attractions" before you bring home a wild pet! KEEP WILD ANIMALS WILD!
  • by kathlnc Location: Tally on Nov 19, 2010 at 09:13 AM
    For Leona: If your dogs sometimes attack your children, then you are being negligent.
  • by Danu Location: Tallahassee on Nov 19, 2010 at 06:41 AM
    Geez folks. Cut them some slack. Not only did they try to rescue and tame (probably naively)raccoons, bad idea sure, their baby was attacked, and seriously harmed by them. I doubt they believed such a thing would happen. Hard lesson for being wild life overly friendly. As parents have you not done something stupid that put your kid in harms way "accidentally' and you got lucky and the kid was only mildly hurt. No parent is without making stupid parent mistakes. This Daddy is likely kicking himself enough without being arrested on top of it. You can bet he will have to prove he is 'parent worthy' now. I wonder what happened to the parents whose baby was dragged off by coyoto's out West during a camping trip a few years back? Like they intended for that to happen while communing with nature.
  • by leona Location: florida on Nov 19, 2010 at 06:12 AM
    i agree with you guys yes they where not thinking but i dont think they are bad parents because they hade racoons in there house .we have dogs for pets and they sometimes attack our children so i am just glad the child is going to be ok.
  • by Elizabeth Location: Tallahassee on Nov 19, 2010 at 04:15 AM
    One word: IDIOT!
  • by grannie Location: ga on Nov 19, 2010 at 04:03 AM
    the baby needs to be taken away from them, something else will happen to that baby sooner or later. . she is in harms wayin my opion
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 109111599 - wctv.tv/a?a=109111599