Georgia Voters Will Decide Whether To Raise Taxes For Transportation

By: Greg Gullberg Email
By: Greg Gullberg Email

- Valdosta, Ga. - June 08, 2012 -

Georgia voters will decide next month whether they want a new tax increase in a special Transportation Penny Tax.

Georgia voters decide July 31st whether they want to add an extra penny to their sales tax. That means sales tax will go from seven cents to eight cents.

State leaders say Georgia is in the midst of a transportation funding crisis. And that Georgia ranks next to last in per capita transportation spending.

"It's terrible, we travel from Florida everyday and I play on my tablet on the way home and I always tell my husband we must be in Georgia now because I can't play my game anymore," said Teresa Elwell, a Florida resident who frequently travels to Ga.

"I think they should keep their hands out of our pockets because raising taxes isn't going to help the people at all. I think it's a bad, bad idea," said Ga. voter Megan Hughes.

Voting will be divided among 12 regions in the state. Each region's election will be separate from the other eleven regions. But not everyone knows how they feel yet.

"I would have to think on it a little bit more to decide whether or not I was going to vote for or against it," said Ga. voter Madelaine Fitch.

The tax lasts 10 years on all sales in the counties within that particular region.

• by Village Gal Location: S. GA on Jun 11, 2012 at 12:37 PM
    Call the coroner. (Hopefully) TSPLOST is DOA.
  • by Georgia Boy Location: Cairo on Jun 11, 2012 at 03:28 AM
    Anonymous, rest assured there are massive amounts of waste in government spending. Hiring people and giving them the authority to root it out would be the best used stimulus money to increase jobs I can think of. Heck, I suspect there are people like me who would do it for no salary, just travel expenses.
  • by Derwood Location: Ga on Jun 10, 2012 at 05:19 AM
    I could care less about waste in private corporation as I don't pay into it. I do pay into government accounts and I do worry about that.
      by Anonymous on Jun 10, 2012 at 06:35 AM in reply to Derwood
      You don't personally pay for all government waste. The cost of government waste, if there is any, would be spread over all taxpayers. You might look at it as paying the same fraction of your tax dollar for waste, if any, as any other taxpayer. Some people argue that corporations don't pay taxes, because they pass the cost on to consumers. So who pays for the waste, if any, in the manufacture and distribution of products you do use, like soap?
  • by thomas Location: tifton on Jun 10, 2012 at 02:08 AM
    Before we pass another penny tax, Georgians should call their Congressmen and urge them to pass the Transportation bill already in Congress in which the Federal Government will supply funds to improve roads and bridges(and more) all over the U.S. This would provide Ga. with better roads, etc. without placing and additional tax burden on already strapped taxpayers...enough is enough.
  • by how many pennysare in a dollar? Location: ga on Jun 9, 2012 at 08:38 PM
    I FORGOT.is election coming up soon?
  • by The Taxpay Yours Location: Georgia on Jun 9, 2012 at 03:30 PM
    You never hear about them touting a Tax Decrease which would certainly help The Taxpay Yours Transportation needs in a depressed economy way better than a tax increase.
      by truth on Jun 9, 2012 at 05:08 PM in reply to The Taxpay Yours
      the Govenor turned down stimulus money to improve roads, but now wants the tax payer to pay for it republican tea party way!!!
  • by Loni on Jun 9, 2012 at 10:34 AM
    Tax Tax Tax...VOTE NO more TAX
  • by Derwood Location: Ga on Jun 9, 2012 at 09:12 AM
    VOTE NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!! VOTE NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNO!!!
  • by Brian Location: Georgia on Jun 9, 2012 at 07:28 AM
    And with this extra sneeky TSPLOST, the elected officials don't have to be responsible for deciding which area of the state gets the tax money for transportation. For the elected officials it's a "win-win". They aren't blamed for the higher taxes, nor that Atlanta/Macon/Savannah/Columbus get the transportation repairs because they collect more taxes due to higher total sales.
  • by Brian Location: Georgia on Jun 9, 2012 at 07:15 AM
    When will we see these taxes(LOST,SPLOST,TSLOST,etc.) for what they really are? They are simply a tax increase our elected officials don't want to be held accountable for come election time. Rather than make the "tuff" choices and budget the governments spending, they the "dumb masses" (us) to tax ourselves!
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 158264805 - wctv.tv/a?a=158264805